SPOTY

A sense of belonging

Who should win?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Definitely a lot of box ticking, I said to the missus at one point it was like an LGBT meeting on the stage with Daley, Balding and Ian Thorpe, then had to explain to her that the hockey captain is married to her team mate.

Daley was there as he's an Olympic medalist and one of the most famous British sportspeople around. Balding has presented sport for the BBC for over 20 years. Thorpe is a 5-time Olympic Gold medalist and is one of few people to have beaten Phelps at an Olympic final. Richardson-Welsh has competed at 3 Olympic Games and captained her side to the gold medal against the odds in her last game. To say any of them are only there because of their sexuality is nonsense.

Some will be offended by the t-shirt but it's worth a read.

Bang goes Daley Thompson's chance of a knighthood. The 25-year-old Londoner won his second successive Olympic gold medal for the decathlon in the Los Angeles Coliseum on Thursday night and spent the next half hour providing fodder for his marvellous achievement to be buried under a welter of outrage.

It all started nicely with him donning a t-shirt which said 'Thanks America for a good games and a great time' on the front and on the back 'But what about the TV coverage?'. Then he was presented to Princess Anne, president of the British Olympic Association, on the track and they chatted for a while.

On the winners' podium, Thompson, awarded the MBE since winning in Moscow four years ago, was seen on the giant TV screens whistling the national anthem as the Union Jack was unfurled rather than staring wet-eyed at the flag.

The next stop was a press conference. He unzipped his GB tracksuit to reveal another t-shirt, which read: 'Is the world's second greatest athlete gay?' a reference to rumours about the alleged and denied sexual preferences of Carl Lewis, the American track star.

The first question, from a British tabloid journalist, concerned what the Queen's daughter said to him. He replied: 'she said I was a damn good-looking guy.' He side-stepped questions about the t-shirt by saying that in England gay meant happy. Asked who was the second greatest athlete in the world, he replied that he may be Lewis or Jurgen Hingsen, second in the decathlon.

By this time the Americans were rolling in the aisles, the non-English speakers reaching for their dictionaries, and the British smelling a good story. There was more.

What were his future plans? 'I am going to settle down for a while, maybe have some kids, and grow up.'

A double question: 'What did you say to Princess Anne, and if you are going to have children, who is going to be the mother?' He replied: 'in answer to your second question, you have just mentioned the lady and I hope they are white.'

The TV cameras were whirring, the adrenalin was still pumping, and he was a champion. Was it not unusual for Princess Anne to come on to the track? he was asked. 'Not when you are as close as we are.' Did Captain Mark Phillips know about this new romance? - 'Who's he?'

It was time to go - Thompson was running in the 4 x 100 metres relay in the morning. But on the way out he did an interview for a San Diego TV station. Was this the happiest day of his life? The only British athlete regarded in America as a superstar said: 'I haven't been this happy since my grandmother caught her tit in a mangle.' It was bleeped out.

Mr Michael Shea, the Queen's press secretary, said: 'Princess Anne wants to make it quite clear that she finds it absurd that anyone should think anything said by Daley Thompson after his outstandingly brilliant achievement was offensive in any way.'

Mr Charles Palmer, chairman of the British Olympic Association, said: 'His remarks are, to some extent, his way of telling the press to mind their own business.'

Thought a large chunk if the 16 shortlist were nowhere near being best. Lot of box ticking going on to crowbar in non sports and ensure paralympians were represented. Wiggins n Froome clearly avoided through peds 'alleged tainting' but farah included.....Jamie Murray world class achievements in this year (plus last) ignored but showjumpers in ??

Agreed with that. Shocking that Carl Frampton wasn't included for his achievements over last year.

Also why the is team gb in for the team award.
In the true sense of a team they are not a team.

Agreed with that. Shocking that Carl Frampton wasn't included for his achievements over last year.

Also why the is team gb in for the team award.
In the true sense of a team they are not a team.

Indeed its a team of multiple teams n individuals.....not to mention the surprising number of team gb that 'requires' asthma medication.....Russia cheated institutionally but the uk Olympic team clearly played the tue system to and beyond its limits to cheat.

Daley was there as he's an Olympic medalist and one of the most famous British sportspeople around. Balding has presented sport for the BBC for over 20 years. Thorpe is a 5-time Olympic Gold medalist and is one of few people to have beaten Phelps at an Olympic final. Richardson-Welsh has competed at 3 Olympic Games and captained her side to the gold medal against the odds in her last game. To say any of them are only there because of their sexuality is nonsense.

Neither Daley thorpe or balding were on the shortlist for spoty....though i get your overall point n terms of people on stage. Izzard isn't a sports person he's a politician n a millionaire who likes to tell other people how they should think. Some incredible sports people were excluded from the bbc shortlist like Frampton n Jamie Murray. No mention I could see were given to scottish women football teams first ever qualification for a major tourney or success of Scottish women's clubs teams in Europe. There was clearly some Box ticking in the 16 short list....equally gb 7s squad incredible silver was ignored. There's certainly some arbitrary picking in spoty which often relates to faux middle class private school sports which are open to a very small minority of participants.

8 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Indeed its a team of multiple teams n individuals.....not to mention the surprising number of team gb that 'requires' asthma medication.....Russia cheated institutionally but the uk Olympic team clearly played the tue system to and beyond its limits to cheat.

What I don't understand about our cyclists regarding the TUE's is how they only need them  for certain races, surely an asthma sufferer would need that stuff all the time if they were cycling at the highest level over the extreme distances that they cover, I've no medical knowledge of asthma but surely they couldn't know when they are or aren't going to need them in advance.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Neither Daley thorpe or balding were on the shortlist for spoty....though i get your overall point n terms of people on stage. Izzard isn't a sports person he's a politician n a millionaire who likes to tell other people how they should think. Some incredible sports people were excluded from the bbc shortlist like Frampton n Jamie Murray. No mention I could see were given to scottish women football teams first ever qualification for a major tourney or success of Scottish women's clubs teams in Europe. There was clearly some Box ticking in the 16 short list....equally gb 7s squad incredible silver was ignored. There's certainly some arbitrary picking in spoty which often relates to faux middle class private school sports which are open to a very small minority of participants.

Some of the para stuff is a nonsense and the strength in depth of womens boxing is pretty shite IMO, it's a wee bit too PC for me in recent years.

What I don't understand about our cyclists regarding the TUE's is how they only need them  for certain races, surely an asthma sufferer would need that stuff all the time if they were cycling at the highest level over the extreme distances that they cover, I've no medical knowledge of asthma but surely they couldn't know when they are or aren't going to need them in advance.

Somewhere in depths of pro cycling thread it was posted that 12% of the population have asthma but 70% of gb swimmers 'require' asthma medication. GB have clearly been at it. I have asthma n played u18 rugby to district level n fair bit of senior rugby back in day. My asthma is mild but in v cold weather I'd struggle. The majority of people who have asthma would not be/could not be able to be competing seriously in endurance sports so the figures should be well below 12%. To be 70%.....sorry team gb has cheated to milk the funds.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Somewhere in depths of pro cycling thread it was posted that 12% of the population have asthma but 70% of gb swimmers 'require' asthma medication. GB have clearly been at it. I have asthma n played u18 rugby to district level n fair bit of senior rugby back in day. My asthma is mild but in v cold weather I'd struggle. The majority of people who have asthma would not be/could not be able to be competing seriously in endurance sports so the figures should be well below 12%. To be 70%.....sorry team gb has cheated to milk the funds.

The bit that's always confused me is how they know they need it for some races and not others.

Some of the para stuff is a nonsense and the strength in depth of womens boxing is pretty shite IMO, it's a wee bit too PC for me in recent years.

I'm last person to be 'pc gone mad blaaah' but seriously Jamie Murray had to be in top 10 never mind 16.....world number 1 slams etc.....showjumping ffs??? As others said Frampton surely?

The bit that's always confused me is how they know they need it for some races and not others.

The prednisolone particularly is what u get for a b*****d bad chest infection. You are doing tour d France with a chest infection bad enough for prednisolone pffft as if....from personal experience your happy to walk to corner shop n back having hacked up enough phlegm to look like an army of jellyfish

3 minutes ago, dogmc said:

I'm last person to be 'pc gone mad blaaah' but seriously Jamie Murray had to be in top 10 never mind 16.....world number 1 slams etc.....showjumping ffs??? As others said Frampton surely?

Unfortunately Jamie seems to get judged against his brother 1st before they judge him in his own right.

Unfortunately Jamie seems to get judged against his brother 1st before they judge him in his own right.

Aye your right but so unfair....load of slams plus Davis Cup win n world number 1... if he was English the coverage he'd get would would be Beckhamesque

Just now, dogmc said:

Aye your right but so unfair....load of slams plus Davis Cup win n world number 1... if he was English the coverage he'd get would would be Beckhamesque

He probably gets pissed off about it but I think he's a decent guy with too much class to say anything publicly.

Hope I'm not jinxing it now.

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

if he was English the coverage he'd get would would be Beckhamesque

I think Andy loses out in that respect as well, it probably suits them as they can lead fairly normal lives outwith tennis.

He probably gets pissed off about it but I think he's a decent guy with too much class to say anything publicly.
Hope I'm not jinxing it now.

Think your right he's quite chilled bout it....he has a hot Mrs several slams n a Davis Cup win....n he can go shopping without being harassed n doesn't have daily mail / bbc hate mob battering him for not being servile enough. Has best of both worlds really