SPOTY

A sense of belonging

Who should win?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm getting worried, I'm too used to getting pelters on here.

Broken clocks can tell you right time twice a day tbf lol....I'm not enough of a P&B addict to know who is doing what on every thread on every forum. If I agree with someone I'll say n if I don't etc

Daley was there as he's an Olympic medalist and one of the most famous British sportspeople around. Balding has presented sport for the BBC for over 20 years. Thorpe is a 5-time Olympic Gold medalist and is one of few people to have beaten Phelps at an Olympic final. Richardson-Welsh has competed at 3 Olympic Games and captained her side to the gold medal against the odds in her last game. To say any of them are only there because of their sexuality is nonsense.

Except I didn't actually say that, the box ticking comment was in regards to the original shortlist in which there seemed to be skewed towards some paralympians while others were overlooked, Gordon Reid didn't get a look in for example despite mirroring Andy Murray's achievements for the year.

As for Thorpe, yes he was probably the right man to present the award, so it was great to hear him speak so eloquently about his biggest rival. Oh wait, he wasn't asked to say a single fecking word so it was utterly pointless him being there.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Perhaps still some arguments about the shortlist, but thought it was a cracking programme last night, some amazing achievements!!

Rangers winning 54 titles in 4 years should've been included IMO.

Rangers winning 54 titles in 4 years should've been included IMO.

Agreed mate, THE most successful domestic football club in the World, an accolade that deserves some credit eh!?[emoji6] Just surprised it's not mentioned more often!

• 1 year later...

Well going by the views of the media (who they believe is a shoe in not who they think deserves it)  

SPOTY - Harry Kane

Moment of the year - England winning a penalty shoot out. 

With moment of the year having Tiger Woods in its shortlist suggests its not just for UK and in particular English moments (since English sports “stars” make up the rest of the shortlist) surely Croatia with a population of what 5 million reaching the final is a more deserving moment than Englands? What about Molinari picking up 5 points out of 5? Khabib dominating McGregor?  Fury getting up off the canvas in the 12th round? f**k even Jutify winning the American Triple Crown is surely a better moment. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

Hard to think of many British or Northern Irish sportsmen/women who have an outstanding year off the top of my head. Lewis Hamilton and Anthony Joshua are world champions. Alistair Cook had a good retirement year so might get a few votes. Lucy Bronze won the Champions League with Lyon but no one cares about women's football. Geraint Thomas winning the Tour de France would probably make him my choice but British cyclists winning the Tour de France isn't as eye catching as it was when Wiggins done it.

Imagine Tyson Fury won it for losing weight and getting a draw over actual world champion Anthony Joshua tho'? Fucking gammons creaming themselves thinking that if a fat, uneducated, racist homophobe can become rich and famous so can they.

I'd quite like to see the skeleton lady win. Have forgotten her name but she became Britain's greatest ever Winter Olympian so must be worthy of a shout. However, the facts that the Winter Olympics was fucking ages ago and that England did well in the World Cup will count against her. Kane will win.