Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Navallion said:

Pondering over getting a telecaster or Stratocaster, minds telling me Tele but all I hear about is people saying a Stratocaster is better. Anyone got any strong opinions on them?

I'm not massively keen on how Stratocasters sound - especially for rhythm guitar - some folk swear by them, though.

I managed to pick up a cheap Essex Telecaster  last year - I only really bought it because I knew that the guy selling it would have kept it in good nick - it's solid and chunky, and feels like a 'real' guitar - a lot of people say Teles sound too thin and tinny, mind.

I also have a Schecter, which is really light, and is easier to play - I bought that because I wanted something sort of Strat shaped that didn't sound like a Strat - I didn't want anything with a whammy, as there's more maintenance involved, and I hate being out of tune - I know modern tremolo systems are much better than they used to be.

When I go back to the Schecter after I've been playing the Tele, the Schecter feels like a toy - smaller and lighter.

If I had a guitar tech, you bet I'd get a guitar with a trem arm, but I'm not at that level.

Pondering over getting a telecaster or Stratocaster, minds telling me Tele but all I hear about is people saying a Stratocaster is better. Anyone got any strong opinions on them?
I bought a G&L tele last year and love the thing. Played some very good strats but still prefer teles everytime. Its all personal preference and theyre totally different guitars.
Suppose it depends on what music you play too.

What ones do you have in mind?

7 hours ago, Qos91 said:

I bought a G&L tele last year and love the thing. Played some very good strats but still prefer teles everytime. Its all personal preference and theyre totally different guitars.
Suppose it depends on what music you play too.

What ones do you have in mind?

I’ve always liked the idea of a telecaster deluxe, usually play a lot of post rock revival songs, so bands like the arctic monkeys, Franz Ferdinand and the strokes’ music is all stuff I tend to play.

Edited by Navallion

I’ve always liked the idea of a telecaster deluxe, usually play a lot of post rock revival songs, so bands like the arctic monkeys, Franz Ferdinand and the strokes’ music is all stuff I tend to play.
Our singer had a deluxe strat and it was a great guitar to play.
Those bands play all sorts like strats, teles and es type guitars. You may just need to buy more than one [emoji12]. You can never have too many anyway.

12 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

On the subject of Fenders

I find myself tempted to get a Jazzmaster of some sort next time I have spare money

Can anybody talk me out of this

Always liked the sound of those too, I don’t actually see that many people with them so would certainly be unique.

Always liked the sound of those too, I don’t actually see that many people with them so would certainly be unique.

The body shape was originally designed for people who play sitting down

I’m currently playing in a mixed ability community jazz orchestra so that would suit me but there’s loads of people who’ve made them work for loud rock music as well.

I find myself tempted to get a Jazzmaster of some sort next time I have spare money

A cheaper squire one or a proper fender?
Ive only ever had experience of a squire recently and it wasnt great.
Ive always wanted one myself but can never bring myself to spend a decent amount on it.

Was that the hard tail version?
No it had a trem and im sure it was near impossible to keep in tune. It wasnt my guitar so never played it very often but it got sold pretty quick after my friend bought it.
I think he spent hours trying to set it uo and gave up eventually.

On 13/05/2020 at 21:39, Navallion said:

Tele for sure, especially with the types of music you're talking about. Played both extensively before I bought my first tele and wouldn't look at a strat now. The G&L tele that was mentioned I'd also a great shout, great guitars.

On 14/05/2020 at 18:45, topcat(The most tip top) said:

f**k that "being talked our of it" nonsense. Get the guitar, you know you want to!

On 13/05/2020 at 21:39, Navallion said:

In my opinion, Telecasters are far more versatile. 

I've got a Tele thinline deluxe with P90 pickups and it can handle pretty much any type of music. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Added this wee beauty to the armoury today. Pickups are hot as hell! Weighs a tonne though.

IMAG5822.jpg

Got to agree about the weight, when you watch videos with guys getting into solos I wonder if they have exoskeletons.