Well V Cove Rangers

Crilly

We were playing a Highland league side who were no match for us, yet we struggled to hold possession for long spells, particularly between the 2nd and 3rd goals and in the last half hour and almost gifted them a couple of goals due to our slackness. The fact that we won 5-0 and kept a clean sheet tells you how poor Cove really were. We should have been hitting double figures against them.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were playing a Highland league side who were no match for us, yet we struggled to hold possession for long spells, particularly between the 2nd and 3rd goals and in the last half hour and almost gifted them a couple of goals due to our slackness. The fact that we won 5-0 and kept a clean sheet tells you how poor Cove really were. We should have been hitting double figures against them.

How many times have you seen Motherwell hit ten past anyone?

Never, but I should have seen it yesterday. That was our best chance in God knows how long to really rack up a crazily large winning margin and give the support something to remember for years to come, entice a few back, you know? Remember 8-1 vs Flamurtari in the EL in 2009 under Gannon? That wasn't in itself an attractive tie but the fact we ran up such a large winning margin got a lot of supporters excited and on side with the team and contributed to a feel good factor. Yesterday was an opportunity to do likewise yet we didn't take it.

If the players had really wanted they could have gone to score 8 or 9 goals yesterday, we took ourselves well off the gas even after the 3rd and 4th goals went in, the players didn’t want to really embarrass Cove although in some ways I wanted them just to keep going. If we had scored that number it wouldn’t have made any more fans come in great numbers maybe the odd few.

I’ve got to say considering the weather we have had recently I thought the pitch looked in excellent condition and much better at this time of season than in recent years, so groundstaff deserve great credit there.

Who would you all like in the next round draw? For me a home tie against any of Dumbarton, Annan Athletic or the winners of Linlithgow Rose/ Forfar or East Kilbride/Lothian will do me nicely.

We could win the cup and MJC would still find something to moan about.

Some boy :lol:

If we win the cup this year I will die a happy man. I promise. :)

Who would you all like in the next round draw? For me a home tie against any of Dumbarton, Annan Athletic or the winners of Linlithgow Rose/ Forfar or East Kilbride/Lothian will do me nicely.

Yip I want the easiest possible tie at home, preferably the winners of East Kilbride/Lothian or Lithlithgow Rose if they get through. That would be the best scenario for us just now along with the bigger teams all knocking each other out.

No doubt we'll get Celtic or Hearts away though.

I never went to the game cos it was freezing and I was dying with the flu so I've only seen the Youtube highlights, but I thought he looked quite good!

He was fine, a yard short of pace sure but he beat his man a few times and linked well with others. The wee mazy run they included in the YouTube clip being a particular highlight. The issue, and it's fair comment depending on your disposition, was that they spent the 30mins or however long he was on the park trying to get Faddy on the scoresheet.

As far as I'm concerned the game was won within 10mins and absolutely over by half time. If the players want to spend 30 mins passing the ball and try to work a chance for Faddy in the 2nd half then fair fucks. They've earned it.

Given where we were not six months ago under Baraclough, struggling against East Fife and barely able to string passes together then I'll take a performance that saw us in 2nd gear scoring 5 goals, keep a clean sheet, avoid any bookings or injuries and actually try and play football. Yes, it was over elaborate and borderline unnecessary but I'd rather see that that the team play shootie in and wilfully humiliate a team with folk who work in the Co-Op.

The joyless old clown sat behind me at the game actually seemed to be having his day ruined by us passing the ball and the fact that we weren't 10 up was "not good enough, Motherwell". If he had been watching Barcelona dare to pass the ball to create a chance he'd have had an aneurysm. An utter throwback attitude towards the game; "Get it in the box", "Shoot!" at one point he legit said "why are you passing the ball?". A more pertinent question would be why he even watches football.

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of teams I'd love to see us utterly humiliate; The Rangers, Celtic, Airdrie, Hamilton, Hearts among many others. Cove Rangers however aren't one of them. Maybe my self esteem is such that I don't feel the need to have Motherwell rattle 10 past a Highland League team in order to feel some sort of validation and in truth I'm totally fine with that. If others can only get gratification from desperately trying to show up a team from the Highland League then I can't really help with that. It says more about them though as far as I'm concerned.

As it is we won the game comfortably, we played some decent football, Faddy got a cameo and most folk were happy. Had the game been closer or had we been playing a *better* side then chances are we a) wouldn't have had Faddy on the park or b) would have been less elaborate.

So, aye we're through to the next round. There was no repeat of Albion Rovers and we scored some goals and played some decent football.

See when we get beat, do you get your belt and shoelaces confiscated?

Archived