MLS 2016

hairykipper

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am over in the US for three weeks in July and August and have 'skilfully' managed to miss several games, not just MLS but also some glamour friendlies.

Heading to Boston, New York, Miami and Vegas. The New York derby is on two days before we arrive in NY.

The only MLS game I have been to was NY Red Bull v Chivas back in 2011. It was 1-1. A nice wee stadium they have.

Still, I was in Chicago a couple of years later and even though I didn't go to see them I have been following the Fire, albeit they are shite.

Attended New York City v Orlando last Friday when over there. Have watched some of the games on TV but this was really the first time I'd properly taken a game in and watching it in person gives you a different perspective.

The standard is absolutely shocking. Like most things in the US, they've got the whole experience done properly and it looks the part but the football on show was criminal.

probably has been asked before, but how would SPL teams fare in such a league?

I heard one college professor who had done some scientific research on the MLS and SPFL teams, advise that teams like Hamilton and Kilmarnock would make it to the playoffs no problem with a good chance of winning the cup at the end of the season.

Would definitely be interesting to see where MLS teams would fit into our league structure.

I read that the average MLS player is on similar wages to the League 2 in England. I'd say that is about the similar standard.

The MLS has a lot of potential but until they lose the wage cap and the designated player rule they won't be able to fill the teams will top players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doesn't specifically mention the football team but seems like it might be in honour of Prince's mum.

http://m.torontosun.com/2016/04/21/niagara-falls-goes-purple-for-queen-and-by-coincidence-prince

Oops!! Just realised I posted in the wrong thread. I was watching Blue Jays and thought I was posting in MLB.....doh!

It's kind of like, take away half of Scrooge McDuck's money, he will say he's skint, but he will still be swimming in gold. Detroit is skint compared to 10-20 years ago, there are abandoned buildings, municipality went through bankruptcy last year, but it's still very big and rich.

They are rebuilding downtown right now, so it's a good time for MLS. MLS can get a downtown stadium, which is very hard to do in other comparable cities. It will be much harder to do 10 years from now.

Detroit's teams tend to get supporters and sponsors from the whole Michigan and parts of Ohio, that area is like two Scotlands in population and economy. 12ish million people, top 7 area in the US in corporate presence, something like 500 bil USD in GDP.

It's also an area that's generally crazy about sports, any sports. 

Basically, MLS can't afford to skip Detroit. MLS in general has very little following in cities where it doesn't have a team. People just watch Premier League, Barcelona, Real, Champions League or just ignore football (soccer). You just have to have a club in Michigan, otherwise you are missing out on 10-12 mil people and one of the best sports areas in the country.

I heard one college professor who had done some scientific research on the MLS and SPFL teams, advise that teams like Hamilton and Kilmarnock would make it to the playoffs no problem with a good chance of winning the cup at the end of the season.

No chance. Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts I would agree with on that, but the quality of MLS has improved massively over the last decade, so no way Accies and Killie. How often do top Serie A players like Sebastian Giovinco decide to move to a struggling team in our top tier when they are still in the prime of their career? The designated player rule transformed MLS and the focus on youth academys rather than the NCAA as the main development route is already paying dividends in terms of the quality of the supporting cast.

No chance. Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts I would agree with on that, but the quality of MLS has improved massively over the last decade, so no way Accies and Killie. How often do top Serie A players like Sebastian Giovinco decide to move to a struggling team in our top tier when they are still in the prime of their career? The designated player rule transformed MLS and the focus on youth academys rather than the NCAA as the main development route is already paying dividends in terms of the quality of the supporting cast.

The college professor said so, and I've no reason to doubt him.

Archived