Tennis: Australian Open 2016

John Lambies Doos

That was a tense match. Three sets of robotic, unstoppable serving from that fucking bolt-necked lurch. Looked as though it was done, but surprise surprise Hightower couldn't keep the physical battle going.

Much as I love my tennis, if that tedious metronome serving limited talent c**t is the future, I won't be watching much. Nearly EIGHTY unforced errors is a shambles. Murray was mentally strong enough to stay with him and you get the impression a lot of players wouldn't have. I reckon Murray would have had him in straight sets if he hadn't dropped his opening service game and then failed on three break points the game after.

If you locked rugby ball calves and Piers Morgan in a room and gave me a gun with one bullet, I'm afraid it'd more right wing tweets and crap slimy chat shows on the way folks.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fantastic result against the latest North American servebot in what seems a never ending production line of them. Anyone else wish Agassi was still around?

Struggling to get up for Sunday at the moment, Djokovic 3-1 is an absolute nap.

Edit - How good is it actually expecting Murray to get to each GS final now? Remember the Henman/Rusedski days? We really are lucky to have someones as good as him at the moment.

If 100 error Novak turns up Murray has a chance. If semi final Novak turns up he has no chance.

Must be galling to have reach 5 finals of the same grand slam and come up against Djokovic 4 times.

Surely he is due an Aussie open?

Scotland's greatest ever sportsman...

Trying to think how Murray can win on Sunday. Tbh... struggling a bit.

You're just Mr Positive aren't you ;)

I can't see Djokovic playing anywhere near as good as those first two sets against Federer. It was near faultless and impossible to maintain.

That was a tense match. Three sets of robotic, unstoppable serving from that fucking bolt-necked lurch. Looked as though it was done, but surprise surprise Hightower couldn't keep the physical battle going.

Much as I love my tennis, if that tedious metronome serving limited talent c**t is the future, I won't be watching much. Nearly EIGHTY unforced errors is a shambles. Murray was mentally strong enough to stay with him and you get the impression a lot of players wouldn't have. I reckon Murray would have had him in straight sets if he hadn't dropped his opening service game and then failed on three break points the game after.

If you locked rugby ball calves and Piers Morgan in a room and gave me a gun with one bullet, I'm afraid it'd more right wing tweets and crap slimy chat shows on the way folks.

I'm with you on Raonic. Robotic and smug. Glad he is out.

He also hit 72 winners. -6 winners to unforced errors isn't remotely bad. Novak was -38 against Simon. Roger Federer has played this way since he changed his racquet. It is attacking tennis. Is it the future? No. It's the past. This is how tennis was played in the 90s predominantly. There are far more faucets to Raonic's game than just a servebot. His forehand (especially inside-out) is tremendous. His error count was exasperated by the fact he tired, with Murray moving him constantly.

Watch John Isner or Ivo Karlovic then you will truly see a robot.

I thought Murray was excellent on serve (second serve especially) and if he can perform as well as that on Sunday he will have a chance. He ground Raonic down, and Raonic knew it. Murray knew Raonic was beat when he netted a very short Murray shot on break point at 4-5 in the fourth. He wasn't as prolific at the net as in previous matches, but Raonic's short point attacking tennis forced him back. His passing shots were poorly executed at times today, but I think that was more to do with Raonic's great net play.

A very good display from Raonic, and Murray toughed it out. A very difficult match on Sunday but if he can serve well, and give Novak a lot of flat balls he could extract enough errors to win the match. If Novak from the first two sets of the semi final turns up, I am not sure there is much Murray can do.

He also hit 72 winners. -6 winners to unforced errors isn't remotely bad. Novak was -38 against Simon. Roger Federer has played this way since he changed his racquet. It is attacking tennis. Is it the future? No. It's the past. This is how tennis was played in the 90s predominantly. There are far more faucets to Raonic's game than just a servebot. His forehand (especially inside-out) is tremendous. His error count was exasperated by the fact he tired, with Murray moving him constantly.

Watch John Isner or Ivo Karlovic then you will truly see a robot.

I thought Murray was excellent on serve (second serve especially) and if he can perform as well as that on Sunday he will have a chance. He ground Raonic down, and Raonic knew it. Murray knew Raonic was beat when he netted a very short Murray shot on break point at 4-5 in the fourth. He wasn't as prolific at the net as in previous matches, but Raonic's short point attacking tennis forced him back. His passing shots were poorly executed at times today, but I think that was more to do with Raonic's great net play.

A very good display from Raonic, and Murray toughed it out. A very difficult match on Sunday but if he can serve well, and give Novak a lot of flat balls he could extract enough errors to win the match. If Novak from the first two sets of the semi final turns up, I am not sure there is much Murray can do.

He definitely needs to find a way to tap into them more often though! ^_^

A fantastic result against the latest North American servebot in what seems a never ending production line of them. Anyone else wish Agassi was still around?

Struggling to get up for Sunday at the moment, Djokovic 3-1 is an absolute nap.

Edit - How good is it actually expecting Murray to get to each GS final now? Remember the Henman/Rusedski days? We really are lucky to have someones as good as him at the moment.

Agree wholeheartedly about Agassi - pure entertainment. I do quite miss Henman though, it was always good laughing at him, and - during the Wimbledon fortnight - the bingo-winged set in their Union jack waistcoats.

If 100 error Novak turns up Murray has a chance. If semi final Novak turns up he has no chance.

Must be galling to have reach 5 finals of the same grand slam and come up against Djokovic 4 times.

Surely he is due an Aussie open?

Scotland's greatest ever sportsman...

100 error Novak appeared against Gilles Simon. Doubtful you'd see that again in the same Slam. Hope springs eternal though.

And Loki, I can't even be bothered to reply, I know he's improved a lot (volleys, forehands) and is a contender blah blah but I hate his fuckin' face, his monstrous calves and his minging orange shoes.

Agree wholeheartedly about Agassi - pure entertainment. I do quite miss Henman though, it was always good laughing at him, and - during the Wimbledon fortnight - the bingo-winged set in their Union jack waistcoats.

100 error Novak appeared against Gilles Simon. Doubtful you'd see that again in the same Slam. Hope springs eternal though.

And Loki, I can't even be bothered to reply, I know he's improved a lot (volleys, forehands) and is a contender blah blah but I hate his fuckin' face, his monstrous calves and his minging orange shoes.

You forgot his minging fucking orange sleeve.

Was there not a bit of controversy about milos couple yrs back against delpo I think? Did he not not own up to some foul play or something?

From what I remember, Raonic touched the net and even after they all saw the replay on the big screen the umpire refused to go back on his original call of awarding the point against Del Potro. Raonic totally kept out of the situation, didn't own up to it but didn't deny it either.

It happens sometimes. Novak touched the net against Andy a year or so ago (possibly AO last year?) and feigned innocence, which totally got in Andy's head and swung the momentum at the time.

From what I remember, Raonic touched the net and even after they all saw the replay on the big screen the umpire refused to go back on his original call of awarding the point against Del Potro. Raonic totally kept out of the situation, didn't own up to it but didn't deny it either.

It happens sometimes. Novak touched the net against Andy a year or so ago (possibly AO last year?) and feigned innocence, which totally got in Andy's head and swung the momentum at the time.

Cheers

Was there not a bit of controversy about milos couple yrs back against delpo I think? Did he not not own up to some foul play or something?

Aye he touched the net and didn't own up to it.

Djokovic went over the net into Andy's side to play a volley, he plead ignorance of the rules. He admitted he did it, but didn't concede the point.

Was that Miami last year? Mind watching that live and going 'aye good one m-eight' as he did it, then got awarded the point.

Must have been the year before as he was wearing Adidas.

Must have been the year before as he was wearing Adidas.

Indeed. On that point, I noticed Europsort using an image of Murray wearing Adidas on a head to head graphic with Raonic earlier, good to see they're up to date.

Archived