Glenn Frey RIP

cowden0

Really sad that one of the finest songwriters has passed away. Most of us of a certain vintage owned at least one eagles lp. I might have been into punk in my younger days but in the secrecy of my own bedroom the eagles ruled. A good song is a good song. As time has passed I have grown to appreciate how skilfully those songs were crafted. Glenn Frey may have checked out but he can never leave.

Radio 2 played an Eagles track after the 1am news in tribute. And chose Hotel California with Don Henley singing lead vocals. Doh!

In fairness Glenn Frey wrote most of the lyric for the song

Really gutted to hear Glenn has gone. The Eagles were my inspiration as a kid, constantly playing my dad's cd's until at the age of 12 I watched the Hell Freezes Over concert, and decided to take up the guitar.

Glenn wasn't the best singer or guitarist in the band but was widely accepted as the lynch pin that held it all together. He wrote and sang on some excellent tracks and will always have the honour of co-writing the majority of the songs on the biggest selling album of the 20th Century.

I was lucky enough to see them live 3 times at Hampden, gutted that they will never play as a group again.

RIP Glenn - Take it Easy

Saw him solo in London sometime around 1992 before the Eagles got back together. After a set of stuff from his latest album, some other solo hits and a few Eagles classics, he announced he was wrapping things up with "the first song me and Don ever wrote together" (Desperado).

Some guy near me shrieked "wow, Hotel California", prompting more than a few exasperated looks in his direction.

RIP.

Such a shame - I have been an Eagles fan since my teens. He was an excellent songwriter, and though his solo songs went all a bit mushy I really enjoyed them. I seduced a woman once while playing his True Love - perfect music for rummaging round.

Never been a big fan of the Eagles, but no matter, it's always sad to hear of the death of a musician, particularly an influential one like Glenn Frey.

Did he not have a solo song called "Smugglers' Blues"? I enjoyed that one, if it was his.

Archived