Arbroath vs Annan

I think Skelly will have to adapt a bit to the extra physicality of the league (although he was by no means bullied) in comparison to the development league.

However, Annan might be the best team to debut because their back 4 must be the most physical defence in the league.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Skelly is a good player but to suggest he was head and shoulders above most of the team yesterday is quite frankly absurd,just because a player comes from a premier league team doesn't automatically mean they will have a good game in the 2nd division,he was average, granted he put in the cross for the 1st goal,i'm sure he will be a good player for us once he settles in but certainly wasn't head and shoulders above most of the team yesterday.I wasn't at the pie shop btw ;)

Definitely not head and shoulders, in the first half he was really poor, which is quite understandable seeing as it was his 1st game and maybe even his first senior game? Second half he improved quite a bit to be fair, good free kick in for the goal and a few nice touches. Hester done much better than him when he came on though IMO, although god knows how he didn't score.

Definitely needs time before anyone can judge him properly though, big step up from under 20 football.

Who's saying that?

And Gold was involved in everything yesterday, as was Whatley, we controlled that game.

There's been various comments regarding this on Facebook/ Arbroath-Mad. If we win our next few, I anticipate some 'look what happens when we play 2 upfront' type comments, despite the fact our formation hasn't changed whatsoever :lol:

Regarding Gold, I presume you are trolling ;)

Regarding Skelly - he obviously has a good left foot, but I think it will take him a few games to adapt to the physicality of this level of football, as mentioned by others. I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, as he got caught on the ball often and at times muscled out of it. From what I've seen of the development league, players are afforded more time on the ball and it's obviously not as physical as first team football at our level, so I expect once he's had a few games to get up to speed he can be a real asset to us with his technical ability and pace.

I'm sure Skelly is a good player but to suggest he was head and shoulders above most of the team yesterday is quite frankly absurd,just because a player comes from a premier league team doesn't automatically mean they will have a good game in the 2nd division,he was average, granted he put in the cross for the 1st goal,i'm sure he will be a good player for us once he settles in but certainly wasn't head and shoulders above most of the team yesterday.I wasn't at the pie shop btw ;)

Well, it is a good job that forums such as this are all about opinions, and we are all entitled to have one. I'll take your absurd and raise you a ludicrous. I was watching Skelly's movement on and off the ball and he is very clearly a quality player. His intelligence and and awareness was obvious if you know what you are looking for. So your suggestion that he was average, is frankly ludicrous. Playing with players well below his level was probably a bit of an eye opener for him, but that boy has got huge potential.

But, everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

Well, it is a good job that forums such as this are all about opinions, and we are all entitled to have one. I'll take your absurd and raise you a ludicrous. I was watching Skelly's movement on and off the ball and he is very clearly a quality player. His intelligence and and awareness was obvious if you know what you are looking for. So your suggestion that he was average, is frankly ludicrous. Playing with players well below his level was probably a bit of an eye opener for him, but that boy has got huge potential.

Way below his level?he's on loan from Dundee 20s FFS

Way below his level?he's on loan from Dundee 20s FFS

Yes Dundee, who are 4 divisions above Arbroath. He may be in the 20s, but look at our starting line up on Saturday. Apart from Linn. Little and Whateley, none of them are much more than kids themselves. He is at Dundee for a reason. If he didn't have potential at that age he would be at a Junior or amateur club. He has all the attributes but is still raw, so has been lent out to Arbroath to develop. Not rocket science really.

Yes Dundee, who are 4 divisions above Arbroath. He may be in the 20s, but look at our starting line up on Saturday. Apart from Linn. Little and Whateley, none of them are much more than kids themselves. He is at Dundee for a reason. If he didn't have potential at that age he would be at a Junior or amateur club. He has all the attributes but is still raw, so has been lent out to Arbroath to develop. Not rocket science really.

He's a player who until last weekend hadn't played a senior match of football, he's not playing below his level. His level has, until recently, been the development league which is way below any senior league.

You're on the wind up, you're actually being unfair to him by speaking that nonsense. He was poor in the 1st half and decent in the 2nd. Also the well below his level comment.... :lol:

Mind Lee Cameron? Well aye, he was at that level last season to, doing well, couldn't get a senior contract, and he's now in the Dundee juniors. Like thousands of other players that have been in youth teams throughout the years.

Wind your neck in.

Eta: I'm not saying that's what will happen to Skelly by the way!!! Just that your comments are ridiculous.

I sometimes wonder if some people get so used to the standards of lower league football that they get blinkered by it. Just wondering!

You're coming across very Paul Hartley'esque here because you're the only person in the world that would've had that view after watching that game last week.

Archived