General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

They aren’t FULLY responsible, that’s society at large. However they do contribute to the problem; hoarding property is one of the most damaging things, and the rents they charge on former council houses is shameful.
I fully agree.

I know a couple of folk who do this. Some have some genuine guilt but generally the 'I'm alright Jack' attitude prevails.

I don't think most people, either voters or politicians, give a damn about the homeless. Things are going to get worse economically, which is going to push self preservation attitudes. We only make progress in these areas when regular folk are doing OK.

People only care about the homeless when someone shows some concern for refugees or poor c***s abroad.

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

They aren’t FULLY responsible, that’s society at large. However they do contribute to the problem; hoarding property is one of the most damaging things, and the rents they charge on former council houses is shameful.

Nice we speech.  Doesn’t answer the question in the first line.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I wasn’t proclaiming to have answered it, you old c**t.

Then it doesn’t really further the discussion; and I think you mean claiming.  

Setting some sort of cap on rent on a section of privately owned housing stock would do more harm than good.  Diminishing supply will do nothing to solve homelessness; quite the reverse.

The gratuitous insult simply highlights your ignorance.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I seem to remember when Thatcher brought in "Right to buy" the Councils were supposed to build another one for every one sold. But because they were sold for a fraction of market value they couldn't afford to do it.

The proceeds of council house "discounted" sales were all returned to the Treasury under the Thatcher regulations, if my memory serves me right. The coalition govt after 2010 may have altered it to one/one idea. 

1 minute ago, Chapelhall chap said:

The proceeds of council house "discounted" sales were all returned to the Treasury under the Thatcher regulations, if my memory serves me right. The coalition govt after 2010 may have altered it to one/one idea. 

I have since discovered that half the proceeds did go to local councils but it did have the effect described by Welsh bairn. 

Right to buy should go down in history as one of the biggest scandals in British political history. But it won't.

Even back in the day it was plainly obvious where it was going to lead. Thatcher truly was a horrendous human being

Thankfully the SG have ended the practice, but it will take some time to sort out the issues caused by it.

Right to buy should go down in history as one of the biggest scandals in British political history. But it won't.
Even back in the day it was plainly obvious where it was going to lead. Thatcher truly was a horrendous human being
Thankfully the SG have ended the practice, but it will take some time to sort out the issues caused by it.

Right to buy in itself wasn't the issue but the fact that equivalent quality housing wasn't built to replace it - councils were not allowed to spend council house sale receipts on new housing.

The result was always going to be a reduced quality public housing stock as the better council houses were bought off.

On 25/12/2018 at 15:50, I'm Brian said:

Right to buy had a very clear political objective as did the destruction of key industries.

The de-industrialisation of the USA and western Europe was designed to destroy the power of the organised working class. This amusingly will result in Communist China becoming the world's number one super power this century.

Spouting off ideas you’ve read from books doesn’t make you an intellectual, m9.

22 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Just when you thought May's government couldn't get any more corrupt.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/28/pm-accused-brexit-deal-desperation-john-redwood-honour

The honours system has long been used by governments as a bribe.