League Cup Final in November

NorthernLights

I think this is a sensible move? If they had groupstage over a fortnight in July; then Last 16 / QFs on midweeks in autumn; then SFs / Final on weekends in spring it'd feel very disjointed.

That said from the statement and media coverage it sounds like this is mainly down to a broadcaster request... as they had originally said they'd stay in spring.

However, there are 2 obvious pitfalls which could trip this idea up? Firstly, the weather at the end of November can be rotten - indeed the Challenge Cup Final was postponed earlier in November a few years back. Secondly, the teams unlucky enough to be down to meet Semi-Finalists (assuming SFs are on weekends) and Finalists may have a horribly disjointed autumn. E.g. if we postulate SFs are about a month before Final:

Sat 01 Oct - league game

Sat 08 Oct - no game (international break)

Sat 15 Oct - league game

Sat 22 Oct - no game (League Cup SFs)

Sat 29 Oct - league game

Sat 05 Nov - league game

Sat 12 Nov - no game (international break)

Sat 19 Nov - league game

Sat 26 Nov - no game (League Cup Final)

Sat 03 Dec - league game

So you might get disgruntled clubs, and a weather-affected (even postponed?) final.

But... did HibeeJibee not tell us this wasn't possible any more?

On the contrary. If you look at the thread from a few months ago over the groupstage coming in, you'll find that I was surprised at the statement that said SFs & Final would remain in the spring.

Up until now it wasn't possible any more, though, correct - due to UEFA and FIFA dates. At the moment, there are 2 'ko' rounds before Last 16, and people wanting it played to a finish by November hadn't recognised that this would mean playing 2 of them - possibly QFs SFs & Final? - over just 4 or 5 weeks. That would surely be unrealistic due to ticketing, transport, policing, etc.

Btw, not sure why people are debating TV coverage: it was stated a few months ago that BT Sport would have rights to 13 matches (up from BBC's current 4) - 6 groupstage, 7 knockout - in return for paying £2M instead of £1M. Presumably that will be:

* 2 per groupstage weekend (Sat-Sun?)

* 2 Last 16 (Tue-Wed?)

* 2 QFs (Tue-Wed?)

* both SFs (Tue-Wed? / Sat-Sun?)

* Final

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now and then, but you have to remember that it was usually in October and then earlier November... plus pitches which would be declared unplayable now would pass muster in decades gone by.

However it only needs to happen once when you've got 50,000 people trying to make Hampden and there would clearly be a huge fallout. In 2010 the Challenge Cup Final was snowed off - on November 28th - and since then it's been in April for that reason, IIRC.

Btw, not sure why people are debating TV coverage... Presumably that will be:

* 2 Last 16 (Tue-Wed?)

* 2 QFs (Tue-Wed?)

* Final

Because not everyone drools over fixtures and examines everything in detail. Even at that you can only say 'presumably' both semis will be covered, not definitely.

Now and then,

I'm sure you could list them all.

Guest DAVIDB69

I think this is a sensible move? If they had groupstage over a fortnight in July; then Last 16 / QFs on midweeks in autumn; then SFs / Final on weekends in spring it'd feel very disjointed.

That said from the statement and media coverage it sounds like this is mainly down to a broadcaster request... as they had originally said they'd stay in spring.

However, there are 2 obvious pitfalls which could trip this idea up? Firstly, the weather at the end of November can be rotten - indeed the Challenge Cup Final was postponed earlier in November a few years back. Secondly, the teams unlucky enough to be down to meet Semi-Finalists (assuming SFs are on weekends) and Finalists may have a horribly disjointed autumn. E.g. if we postulate SFs are about a month before Final:

Sat 01 Oct - league game

Sat 08 Oct - no game (international break)

Sat 15 Oct - league game

Sat 22 Oct - no game (League Cup SFs)

Sat 29 Oct - league game

Sat 05 Nov - league game

Sat 12 Nov - no game (international break)

Sat 19 Nov - league game

Sat 26 Nov - no game (League Cup Final)

Sat 03 Dec - league game

So you might get disgruntled clubs, and a weather-affected (even postponed?) final.

On the contrary. If you look at the thread from a few months ago over the groupstage coming in, you'll find that I was surprised at the statement that said SFs & Final would remain in the spring.

Up until now it wasn't possible any more, though, correct - due to UEFA and FIFA dates. At the moment, there are 2 'ko' rounds before Last 16, and people wanting it played to a finish by November hadn't recognised that this would mean playing 2 of them - possibly QFs SFs & Final? - over just 4 or 5 weeks. That would surely be unrealistic due to ticketing, transport, policing, etc.

Btw, not sure why people are debating TV coverage: it was stated a few months ago that BT Sport would have rights to 13 matches (up from BBC's current 4) - 6 groupstage, 7 knockout - in return for paying £2M instead of £1M. Presumably that will be:

* 2 Last 16 (Tue-Wed?)

* 2 QFs (Tue-Wed?)

* Final

As I said a few posts above there doesn't seem to be an obvious spot where you move everything forwards to get this completed in November .

The last 16 is usually late September and quarters late October so I am not sure how we get to semis late October as all these groups are giving us is a lengthier route to get the last 16

Once the group stages have been completed and the knock out stages begin will the draws still be seeded? Would like to see them get rid of the seeding entirely.

As I said a few posts above there doesn't seem to be an obvious spot where you move everything forwards to get this completed in November .

The last 16 is usually late September and quarters late October so I am not sure how we get to semis late October as all these groups are giving us is a lengthier route to get the last 16

Surely it's a "quicker route" to the Last 16 - it'll be finished in July?

Currently R2 is in August; Last 16 late September; QFs late October.

However, there isn't any R2 from now on as the groupstage whittles 40 teams down to 12 in one fell swoop.

So I'm guessing Last 16 could be August (e.g. free midweek Aug 9th-10th); then QFs late September (free midweek Sep 20th-21st).

Then SFs in late October (either a weekend or free midweek Oct 25th-26th); then Final on Sunday 27th November.

I'm taking the free midweek dates from Bert Kassies: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calendar2016.html

Once the group stages have been completed and the knock out stages begin will the draws still be seeded? Would like to see them get rid of the seeding entirely.

Previous coverage implied not, IIRC.

Currently QFs onward aren't seeded anyway, tbf.

Groupstage is seeded in some form - e.g. 1 Premiership club per group, IIRC.

Guest DAVIDB69

Surely it's a "quicker route" to the Last 16 - it'll be finished in July?

Currently R2 is in August; Last 16 late September; QFs late October.

However, there isn't any R2 from now on as the groupstage whittles 40 teams down to 12 in one fell swoop.

So I'm guessing Last 16 could be August (e.g. free midweek Aug 9th-10th); then QFs late September (free midweek Sep 20th-21st).

Then SFs in late October (either a weekend or free midweek Oct 25th-26th); then Final on Sunday 27th November.

I'm taking the free midweek dates from Bert Kassies: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calendar2016.html

Previous coverage implied not, IIRC.

Currently QFs onward aren't seeded anyway, tbf.

Groupstage is seeded in some form - e.g. 1 Premiership club per group, IIRC.

I see so the so called European survivors in reality just Celtic will play the last 16 the spare midweek in August then quarters late September semis late October.

You can imagine how well this will go down with the euro "survivors"

Archived