Stephen Finnie - Worst Referee In Scotland?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worst refs are the supporters,they think they know all the rules but they don't.

The supporters aren't refs as far as I'm aware, well, surely some of them will be, but not for the actual match being played.

Unless we're playing Airdrie and the ref gets injured and they have to appeal for an official from the stands, but that's another matter.

I get what you're saying though, there's still some zoomers who think "last man" is, or ever was a rule, regardless of the location on the pitch or situation.

Unless we're playing Airdrie and the ref gets injured and they have to appeal for an official from the stands, but that's another matter.

Happened in a pars Cowden game last time we were in the same division. One of the officials couldn't finish the game so they squeezed some fat c**t from the crowd into a townie tracksuit to run the line. I assume he was qualified at some standard but f**k me he took his time getting organised. It was baltic that day as well so the 30 minute delay was a pain.

Happened in a pars Cowden game last time we were in the same division. One of the officials couldn't finish the game so they squeezed some fat c**t from the crowd into a townie tracksuit to run the line. I assume he was qualified at some standard but f**k me he took his time getting organised. It was baltic that day as well so the 30 minute delay was a pain.

Might be that game I was thinkin of, thought it was Airdrie

Happened at a couple of Pars games so think you're both right. Once our sub keeper (Lindsay Hamilton) ran the line and once it was a chunky random from the crowd. Colin Cameron got the ref with a two footed challenge in the Cowden game a few seasons back.

Zoomers: What about the ones who believe that you can carry out a sustained vicious attack on an opposing player and it's OK as long as your foot touches the ball during the assault and you make a "ball" gesture afterwards?

Happened at a couple of Pars games so think you're both right. Once our sub keeper (Lindsay Hamilton) ran the line and once it was a chunky random from the crowd. Colin Cameron got the ref with a two footed challenge in the Cowden game a few seasons back.

Did Mickey really nail the ref? Brilliant :lol:

Sure we lost that game 3-0 though :(

Did Mickey really nail the ref? Brilliant :lol:

Sure we lost that game 3-0 though :(

Yes - you could see he'd lost the rag with the ref and when he spotted the chance he totally nailed him then shouted at him for getting in his way. Highlights probably in the depths of the pars archive.

Yes - you could see he'd lost the rag with the ref and when he spotted the chance he totally nailed him then shouted at him for getting in his way. Highlights probably in the depths of the pars archive.

Completely missed that at the time. Probably too busy trying to keep warm.

Completely missed that at the time. Probably too busy trying to keep warm.

I'm sure I remember the thread about it and don't think many Cowden fans had realised what had happened - game was nearly abandoned. Think the ref would have sent him off had he not been left in a vegetative state from the tackle.

I'm sure I remember the thread about it and don't think many Cowden fans had realised what had happened - game was nearly abandoned. Think the ref would have sent him off had he not been left in a vegetative state from the tackle.

I remember it as the second half kick off being delayed which filtered down to us as an injury to one of the officials. No idea what caused it,

We need more managers in the game like mickey. Direct action against incompetent officials :lol:

Also happened against Airdrie, same game they brought on a trialist who promptly scored a cracking volley, into his own net.

Definitely the game I was thinking of!

iirc a pars fan ran the line, one of the Airdrie boys actually got wound up by the boys in the NW stand and started shouting abuse back at them, at which point the pars fan linesman made the ref aware of this and the boy was promptly booked  :lol:

I'm going to stick up for Finnie. Who wants to be a referee? One of the most loveless "professions" in the world ranked as more highly hated than traffic wardens, lawyers, chuggers and PPI telesales. If you didn't have them, there wouldn't be a game. The Cowdenbeath game was a bad day at the office, oh, okay, a rank rotten one.

Oh, and he gave my lads a couple of quid when they were mascots. Yes there's the corruption right there - cash for forum praise rocks FIFA!

There's no doubt it's a hard, high pressure job, nor that some of them might be really nice guys in real life, and they deserve respect for that.

But as in all professions, some are better than others, and the first step to raising the overall standard and increasing the respect they all earn is to identify and accept the failings of the worst ones. IMHO, he is not a great decision maker, and although that alone would be acceptable, he compounds the problem with his arrogance, which spoils the game for everyone.

Until you just start laughing.

The Tayside refs train once a week at Brechin. On one occasion I was going to see the physio at the glebe and happened to wander in when the refs were making their way back to the changing rooms. I overheard a couple of them  talking about their games on the Saturday.   One said he was at Cliftonhill and absolutely hated the place and he wouldn't be giving Rovers many decisions. His mate laughed and said much the same about Berwick , but his main gripe was the travelling and went off on one saying it was ridiculous having to travel all that way. He admitted that he would just spoil it for both teams in spite. 

They all laughed but it makes you wonder if that is their genuine feelings .  If so it might explain their inconsistencies. 

The Tayside refs train once a week at Brechin. On one occasion I was going to see the physio at the glebe and happened to wander in when the refs were making their way back to the changing rooms. I overheard a couple of them  talking about their games on the Saturday.   One said he was at Cliftonhill and absolutely hated the place and he wouldn't be giving Rovers many decisions. His mate laughed and said much the same about Berwick , but his main gripe was the travelling and went off on one saying it was ridiculous having to travel all that way. He admitted that he would just spoil it for both teams in spite. 

They all laughed but it makes you wonder if that is their genuine feelings .  If so it might explain their inconsistencies. 

If that's what they're thinking, it's likely to impact their performance, even if they don't consciously give wrong decisions: It's been demonstrated that what we perceive is actually influenced by what we want or expect. Thus, if your colleague has told you that player X is a bit of a diver, or player Y is prone to committing niggly fouls, when you see something that isn't 100% clear, your expectation will influence the decision you make at an unconscious level.

You have to suspect that the training they get focuses on memorising the rule book and running backwards, rather than people skills or the science of decision-making.

Archived