Stephen Finnie - Worst Referee In Scotland?

Another totally inept and embarrassing display, somehow in a non dirty calm game he managed to send three people to the stand and book several players. On top of that in a game with little football he made it worse by constantly blowing for everything and then lecturing players.

In a quick search on Google he's managed to send our manager to the stand three times.

Is he this bad for all teams? Share your tales of woe on here,

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many refs are arrogant sods who want to be the centre of attention,they don't want a game going along without much need for their whistle.A ref has had a good game when you haven't noticed him.Mike Roncone had a nightmare at Hampden on saturday so much so that Gus Mcpherson is contacting ref chief John Reid about his performance and the fact performances like his keep happening,QP won btw.Being a ref is a thankless task and we do need them but some of them don't help themselves with pernickity whistle blowing and look at me attitude and lack of common sense.Who'd be a ref,eh :) any good ones btw?

Too many refs are arrogant sods who want to be the centre of attention,they don't want a game going along without much need for their whistle.A ref has had a good game when you haven't noticed him.Mike Roncone had a nightmare at Hampden on saturday so much so that Gus Mcpherson is contacting ref chief John Reid about his performance and the fact performances like his keep happening,QP won btw.Being a ref is a thankless task and we do need them but some of them don't help themselves with pernickity whistle blowing and look at me attitude and lack of common sense.Who'd be a ref,eh :) any good ones btw?

Was that not the same ref who Stirling were losing their rag over a few weeks ago?

Was that not the same ref who Stirling were losing their rag over a few weeks ago?

Yeah that was him but then again Stirling were maybe just raging in general after getting beat by Clyde. :) When both set of supporters are raging about a ref you know it ain't been a good day for the ref.

The standard of refereeing, is poor, but just as bad is the standard of those running the line. A poor lines person can make a ref look much worse.[/quot

This. Lost count of the amount of times this season I've said or heard "when the ball's played lino"!

I remember when Mr Finnie started officiating in the old Division 3 many years ago and he was terrible with a touch of arrogance as well. If I remember, one of his decisions cost us the points against Gretna maybe and fans used to hate when he was appointed for our games. When I saw that he was refereeing SPL games, I couldn't believe it and I thought it wouldn't be long before he caused controversy.

I agree that the standard in Scotland is poor and a lack of common sense and their inability to differentiate what is foul or fair play is ever so evident in most games I watch. A referee does not put the ball in the net, however, he can spoil a game for both sets of supporters with his ineptness.

Maybe it's all down to some, or maybe most, of them not having played the game themseles and not really appreciating the way a game flows .  I have noticed that the more "successful " refs are those who can recite a rule book  from front to back..........schoolteachers and lawyers seem to have no problems ........They are fast tracked through the system and seem to be able to make as many mistakes as they like along the way but are able to adapt the rule book to make them look as if they were in the right. 

It grits my tits when you see Willie Collum getting " punished "  by dropping him down a league for a few games.  He is still getting paid (slightly less maybe ) and is still working.  A player making a mistake gets suspended totally for weeks on end. plus a fine for the club  ( and sometimes the player) .  At our level this means no chance of bonus money etc. and having to sit and watch frustratingly.

Seems like rules for some and rules for others.  

Archived