SAFL

GoalsGoalsGoals

SAFL members, what is your feeling/opinion on the way in which the league is being run at the moment.

Surely some of the teams are worried about the amount of teams leaving the league for yet another season?

And with the president and secretary coming to the end of of their term what does the future hold?

GGG

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The teams leaving are decent teams

The ones coming in are unheard of

The SAFL is like the West of Scotland league nowadays

Yes they have a couple of good teams but there is 5 (I think) leagues full of guff as well

It's not sustainable to keep losing your best teams year on year.

Bridgewater are going to The Central and Finnart are joining The Caley I think. That's the two I have heard that are leaving.

It's Oban who you feel for, given the logistics the league is holding them back but I think The Caley would accept them given they have Rothesay in the league.

I agree Oban would be better off playing in another league but I don't think the teams you mentioned that are leaving are a massive loss. Fair enough when the likes of st pats, pollock and Greenock left it was a big blow. But teams like castle milk, finnart and postal are easily replaceable. No disrespect to them but the league has been struggling since the better teams left a few years ago but the teams leaving now doesn't really affect anything in my opinion.

Think they won it two years in a row. Maybe I'm doing them a dis service but I'm comparing them to teams like Greenock, st pats etc. These teams were far better back then, plus they were decent guys. To be honest postal were just pissing everyone off and I personally didn't miss them and don't think the league did. It's not as if they've went on to prove they were any better than the other teams in the safl.

Just to be clear I'm not saying the league isn't in trouble. I do think it is fast becoming a poor league. Definitely compared to what it used to be. It's poorly organised for example sometimes you are not getting fixtures until very late in the week. And I do agree that teams like Oban would be better in the caley but maybe if good teams stayed and had their say the league could be run better.

As a new club we seen the SAFL as a great starting point and they have done nothing but help us on our short journey, there where defenenly some in house issues with the committee but this seems to be sorted out, I don't know what the future holds for the league but all we can do is thank them and wish them all the best for the future.

The problem with the SAFL, is that it takes too long to get to the better levels. Take Bridgewater for example, spanking teams every week and going unbeaten in the league is not helping them improve. With tougher games every week they will improve. Bottom two divisions in safl are very poor.

This is one of the reasons we have decided to move on, we are a very young side and we hope the move will improve the boys and us as a team and let us attract other players.

I think the league could be doing with a re think it's a long hall to get to the premier (which I think in the next few years will be strong) but for a new team joining the league it could be a long 4 years.

Think they won it two years in a row. Maybe I'm doing them a dis service but I'm comparing them to teams like Greenock, st pats etc. These teams were far better back then, plus they were decent guys. To be honest postal were just pissing everyone off and I personally didn't miss them and don't think the league did. It's not as if they've went on to prove they were any better than the other teams in the safl.

Postal done the treble am sure aswell tiger did they not? Got to the semis of the Scottish and the quarters the next year, why were the pissing everybody off, old Jimmy runs that club down to a tee and the management and players respected everybody the played against

Over the past 8 years the SAFL have lost st pats greenock pollok thorn eaglesham haldane aikenhead postal and now Bridgwater and finnart

There's likely more I can't think of

None of these teams are say a Colville park but they are a good standard and very well run etc and the SAFL is much weaker without them for a fact

Crazy feet nice quote the SAFL are holding back Oban mmmm I am sure a lot of clubs would love to held back by their League and reach the Scottish semi's, if your point is of them moving Leagues forget it the other 2 Leagues would not touch them FACT,

As for your quote froggy "the teams leaving a decent teams" I give you Finnart are as for the Clydebank FC nope done nought and Bridgewater well its no great feat going through a League campaign undeafed in a league as bad as the WOS.I believe you put it.

Teams coming in Apex were a big club a number of years ago and the others well we will wait and see what happens as a couple of seasons no one had heard of Bridgewater and going back further no one had heard of Postal Utd until they joined the SAFL

Ok fair point pal you have mentioned two teams who are relatively unknown

I named around 9 decent well run teams who have left for pastures new

Ok even if Apex are a good side, they start in the 5th tier (I think) and do pretty well, they will think sod this carry on waiting 5 years lets jump ship

Some good points raised. I think there is an uncertainty about what the future holds for the running of the league. Who is likely to take over at the top next year?

They need to look at how to keep good new teams in the league, if you can keep top and growing teams in the league set up then you can build a strong league again, if you don't have an action plan at keeping clubs in then clubs will keep coming in for a bit then leaving, just like Bridgewaterboy says, used as a stepping stone to move to seemingly better things. I wonder if the league done anything to try to convince them not to move.

Archived