Sky Q

Its here :) engineer arrived just after 8 and was gone about 9.30. The bit that took the longest was waiting on the software downloads and pairing the mini box to the main one.

First impressions are really good. The new EPG is nice, although the remote takes a bit of getting used to! The "fluid" stuff works nicely, although not sure I'll use it that much. Also took a while to work out that you need to be recording something to switch it between devices, rather than just pausing live tv.

Its here :) engineer arrived just after 8 and was gone about 9.30. The bit that took the longest was waiting on the software downloads and pairing the mini box to the main one.

First impressions are really good. The new EPG is nice, although the remote takes a bit of getting used to! The "fluid" stuff works nicely, although not sure I'll use it that much. Also took a while to work out that you need to be recording something to switch it between devices, rather than just pausing live tv.

Good stuff!

Still 3 weeks to go for me. Like you I doubt if I'll use the " fluid " stuff much but I presume you can use it as multi room. i.e.. watch one programme on main box and another on mini?

Thats only if you have Sky Broadband, is it not? Which is pretty annoying as its clearly a marketing ploy. Theres no technical reason it wouldnt work with other ISPs

That's certainly annoying, I'd be tempted but I can't be arsed changing my internet provider. But it's standard practice to offer these deals as a package re BT and Talk Talk anyway, and it probably keeps the price down (or maybe profits up).

Good stuff!

Still 3 weeks to go for me. Like you I doubt if I'll use the " fluid " stuff much but I presume you can use it as multi room. i.e.. watch one programme on main box and another on mini?

Yes. You can also do the same on tablets, they basically work the same as the minis. In fact, as I've discovered having gone to my planner after my son was using the app, you can also select things on the app to record on the main box.

That's certainly annoying, I'd be tempted but I can't be arsed changing my internet provider. But it's standard practice to offer these deals as a package re BT and Talk Talk anyway, and it probably keeps the price down (or maybe profits up).

I was talking to the engineer.  He said one of the other installers spent 4 hours trying to get a couple of minis installed in a house with BT broadband. He hadnt had any problems and, luckily, we didnt have any either. Reckoned the problem was to do with IP conflicts. That doesnt happen if you have a Sky router, which does make a certain amount of sense.

What does the engineer actually need to do in your house to install this? Just replace the LNB on your dish and that's it?

Thinking of ordering it. Been thinking about how to convince the wife for a while and the other day she actually said to me that Sky Q looks quite good we should get that. :thumsup2

What does the engineer actually need to do in your house to install this? Just replace the LNB on your dish and that's it?

Thinking of ordering it. Been thinking about how to convince the wife for a while and the other day she actually said to me that Sky Q looks quite good we should get that. :thumsup2

Yes. If you've got an older dish they'll replace that too.

Multiroom required a separate cable from the LNB to each feed (two per Sky plus box). The new LNBs/Q boxes handle the signals differently, so they only require two cables from the LNB to the main Q box, even though the Q box can then handle multiple recordings and devices watching different channels.

Yes. If you've got an older dish they'll replace that too.

Multiroom required a separate cable from the LNB to each feed (two per Sky plus box). The new LNBs/Q boxes handle the signals differently, so they only require two cables from the LNB to the main Q box, even though the Q box can then handle multiple recordings and devices watching different channels.

Cheers. You still happy with it?

Cheers. You still happy with it?

Yeah, it takes a bit of getting used to but the EPG stuff is basically the same just laid out differently. Having images for the programmes makes it easier but theres a few niggles but nothing major. The new remote is the same, plus they give you an old mans remote too.

You'll be happier with Sky Q than you are with my moderating :P

• 3 weeks later...

Just got it so not up to speed yet but looks good.

Got the picture in picture by accident but don't know what I did and can't repeat it DUH!

One thing I can't find is programmes up to a week ahead in order to record. Does this need done on app on tablet?

Just got it so not up to speed yet but looks good.

Got the picture in picture by accident but don't know what I did and can't repeat it DUH!

One thing I can't find is programmes up to a week ahead in order to record. Does this need done on app on tablet?

I think Ive worked out the "picture in picture". I assume he was talking about the preview of the channel you get when you use up and down to scroll through channels while watching one (as opposed to the channel up and down buttons). Its not really picture in picture

You move through days on the planner with the fast forward and rewind buttons

I'm getting this installed next Tuesday.  I have Sky Broadband, so the Sky Q Hub came the other day, with the viewing card arriving yesterday.

When I phone up, I told the girl I thought £149 was a bit pricey, so she gave me it for £60.

Can't wait!

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, DavidMcG said:

A few months on, how are people getting on with Sky Q?

I'm due to get it installed at the end of the month. Silver bundle or something like that 

Really liking it. The EPG takes a bit of getting used to but once you do its really good. Swiping sideways sometimes does up or down which is a bit annoying but not significantly so

A couple of times Ive looked at the guide and noticed a couple of things scheduled to record at the same time and thought "oh I'll have to delete one of them" and then realised I dont :)

I posted a while ago that I was getting "no satellite signal" errors quite often but hadnt happened for a while, well it happened again yesterday

Yeah, really good.

My wife has ditched the Bluetooth remote though in favour of the basic one.

Seen online that they are now trialling the UHD content. Not sure if it's possible to get on that trial or not.