Ayrshire Summer League

ASL

I'm toying with the idea of setting up a summer league in Ayrshire, to start in June 2017. Potentially, this would last only 2 months (to disturb the normal amateur season as little as possible). My idea is that teams would play each other only once, with games being played midweek. Without waffling on for ages about the exact blueprint of the league, I'm interested to hear what people's initial thoughts are on this. Would there be enough interest in this? Is this feasible?

They do it so that the council can do their "ground maintenance" but as I found out this week, there is no budget for council pitches in North Ayrshire for the next 2 years so it's safe to say that the pitches will continue to be shite for the next few years

As Meddabhoy says, an Ayrshire over 35's league run's in the summer over 2 months, with games played on a Friday night. Doesn't seem to be much of an issue booking parks with those teams. The full season fixtures would be issued prior to the season starting to allow plenty of time for booking parks. Sat afternoon teams start playing friendlies at the beginning of July and parks are always available. Obviously not the council one's though. IMO, all Scottish amateur football should be played in the summer with a winter break but we all know that will never happen.

Am sure some players like a break in the summer heeders, but a lot don't too. Personally, I don't like taking a break from it. There are also some people that perhaps cannot commit to a full season sat afternoon that I think might prefer just playing a 9 week season instead, in warmer weather.

Do agree with u about summer football think its time for a move towards that anyway n like i said it is a good idea, its also holiday season, n preseason starts end of june just not sure it wouldwork, good on you if it does tho would certainly be more enjoyable playing in the warmer weather for a change

Apart from Kilwinning sports club, there are no parks in North Ayrshire (possibly in the Largs area) that have their posts up through preseason. Which is why we either play preseason games on 3g or play friendlies away to teams from Glasgow leagues

Am not trying to put a sour note on your idea cause I think it's a good one for guys who don't play with Saturday teams, but Park availability in North Ayrshire has been an ongoing issue during preseason. North Ayrshire council pick one set of parks each year and normally leave the posts up on one pitch which means all the teams need to scramble to book it. Even pitches like Ardeer quarry which has portable goals, closes for so-called ground maintenance

Am not trying to put a sour note on your idea cause I think it's a good one for guys who don't play with Saturday teams, but Park availability in North Ayrshire has been an ongoing issue during preseason. North Ayrshire council pick one set of parks each year and normally leave the posts up on one pitch which means all the teams need to scramble to book it. Even pitches like Ardeer quarry which has portable goals, closes for so-called ground maintenance

Might be wrong but auchenharvie and annick parks(Irvine) usually always have 1 set up. Quarry road used to always leave the pitch nearest town centre(mini Hampden) up but it's been down constantly the full year for the last couple of years for some reason

Archived