"Black coaches held back in Scottish football"

I've seen black coaches saying they don't want the ridiculous Rooney rule brought in as they don't wont to be seen as tokens. Still, the white precious people know what's best for them.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rooney rule just smacks of a corporate initiative that is represents 'tackling' the issue without actually getting to the root causes of inequality in society.

It angers me that these claims are thrown out without much to substantiate it. I'm sorry but if you sat down with a 16 year old who was unemployed and they said to you i sent applications to 10 companies and I didn't get an interview therefore the world was against them, you would tell them to f**k off and man up and learn to live in the real world.

Just going by the way he was talking there must have been a falling out, he denied it obviously, but why else would he leave ICT when they were on such a high?

Can you imagine what it would be like turning up for work every morning knowing you'll be spending the whole day with Yogi? 

P.S. Probably had to sit with him on all the interminable coach trips on the A9 too.

The bigger problem is the old boys culture that people have already touched on. It exists in management, in players groups and in the media. It doesn't really include black coaches because the coaches network is based on who was playing in Scotland about 20 years ago and there weren't many black players then.

I've seen black coaches saying they don't want the ridiculous Rooney rule brought in as they don't wont to be seen as tokens. Still, the white precious people know what's best for them.

And I've seen them saying they do want it. What's yer point caller?

I didn't say anything about apologising. Is there something to apologise for?

Erm...no, not from me. You were talking about sweeping things under the carpet with my 'dreadful attempts at humour'. Am I supposed to be remorseful or feel guilty for the actions of others?

I'm still unsure what this says about the type of person I am?

That's clearly not the case down south tho'. I can't recall the exact figures but it was somewhere in the teens, like 18% or thereabouts, of people doing their UEFA licences through the FA were minorities. So, taking away the argument the lack of visible black managers means less black players move into coaching, why is that amount of people taking the courses transferred to the amount of qualified coaches getting management positions?

Briane Deane's done all his badges and been a great success in Sweden but came out and said he's not even getting replies from National League level clubs.

As I said it's not about chairmen or directors actually thinking black coaches will fail due to their colour of their skin but there are clear hurdles involved for them.

Is it football or athletics we are talking about here?

The reason Latapy and Harper don't get the jobs is because there are better candidates. Same as any black player that has played in Scotland in the last 20 years. I can't think of one that I've thought "he'd make a great manager".

Can anyone on here think of one you'd want managing your club?

The reason Latapy and Harper don't get the jobs is because there are better candidates. Same as any black player that has played in Scotland in the last 20 years. I can't think of one that I've thought "he'd make a great manager".

Can anyone on here think of one you'd want managing your club?

One what? ;)

I think Latapy could be a decent punt - unlikely to get the gig at Tynecastle, as he's ex-Hibs.

That's a much better excuse than saying it's cause he's black.

One what? ;)

I think Latapy could be a decent punt - unlikely to get the gig at Tynecastle, as he's ex-Hibs.

That's a much better excuse than saying it's cause he's black.

"One" as in ex players who are black, kinda what we've all been on about.

Tommy Wright > Russell Latapy, so no thanks. I honestly can't think of any black ex players who've played in the Scottish game lately that I'd have in front of Tommy, that's not racism.

"One" as in ex players who are black, kinda what we've all been on about.

Tommy Wright > Russell Latapy, so no thanks. I honestly can't think of any black ex players who've played in the Scottish game lately that I'd have in front of Tommy, that's not racism.

Ken, but Tommy cannae manage every club in the country. I wasn't suggesting Latapy should replace Tommy, merely that he'd be worth a punt somewhere - might actually get some team playing some sexy football.

The bigger problem is the old boys culture that people have already touched on. It exists in management, in players groups and in the media. It doesn't really include black coaches because the coaches network is based on who was playing in Scotland about 20 years ago and there weren't many black players then.

I don't think it does. How many of the old boys are managing in the current top flight or championship just now? It's all kind of new inexperienced guys or managers who finished their careers early naughties at most.

Archived