London

QPStu

On 24 August 2016 at 13:43, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

The Torstrasse area of Mitte has some good places to drink. What you posted about Kreuzberg is part of what makes it so good imo. 

Can understand liking the variety, but the idea that a hate pub is allowed to exist in what seemed like a normal area was very worrying tbh. Usually these kinds of things would be hidden away in a dank corner of a city, but not a single f**k was given in this place.

I'm going to London for the first ever time at the end of the month. Both excited and nervous about it, tbh, as I enjoy seeing new places but I hate people, and apparently everywhere you go is mobbed.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm going to London for the first ever time at the end of the month. Both excited and nervous about it, tbh, as I enjoy seeing new places but I hate people, and apparently everywhere you go is mobbed.

London can be great if you know where to go or bollocks if you don't. Do plenty research into what you like and Google what's on at the time you're there. 

Just now, tree house tam said:

London can be great if you know where to go or bollocks if you don't. Do plenty research into what you like and Google what's on at the time you're there. 

We're going down for the weekend, to see a theatre show, so only really have one day to do things. Girlfriends wanting to do a bus tour and go to some Harry Potter place, I'm happy to just be off work.

7 hours ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

I've no idea what your vision of a hate pub is but it does seem that East Berlin isn't for you which is fair enough. 

Our group were the only people with hair and the walls were completely covered in stickers and writing about white supremacist stuff, like "black lives don't matter" and loads of anti-refugee stuff. I actually didn't mind Berlin for a visit, just couldn't see myself living there, whereas Munich was class and I definitely could live there. Like Düsseldorf and Dortmund too, although the latter didn't seem to have much too it. 

Probably not for the London thread anyway.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We're going down for the weekend, to see a theatre show, so only really have one day to do things. Girlfriends wanting to do a bus tour and go to some Harry Potter place, I'm happy to just be off work.

If you're staying in the west end just go for a walk about, stop for a pint now and again to get your bearings,  what's the worst that can happen?

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're/she is wanting to see a musical, I'd highly recommend The Lion King. I'm not a fan of musicals but it was brilliantly done, really impressive. The Harry Potter thing is decent enough as well, just take the train out to Watford Junction and there's buses outside take you straight there. Agree with Tam though, try to plan or you can end up walking about for ages and wasting the time you've got.

On 03/09/2016 at 16:43, RandomGuy. said:

The last few times I've been down I've been opting for mostly street food instead of fancy dining. As well as the obvious saving in cash I've been very impressed with some of it. I definitely recommend the ribman poutine with holy f**k sauce from the poutinery on Brick Lane at the Sunday market. Fucking class that is, always buy extra bottles of the sauce as well. Bleeker Street burgers under the bridge at Southbank or at Spitalfields are decent too. f**k it's making me hungry thinking about it! Back down on Saturday morning so I suppose it's not too long to wait.

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Heading down tonight on the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Sleeper lads.

Going to check out that Duck and Waffle Kinky recommended.  Has v v #dece reviews.

Have an enjoyable trip, Scarfy.  The D&W is open 24/7 so I'd be tempted to get a cab straight from Euston to Bishopsgate and have a decent breakfast with a bloody mary or two before checking in to your hotel.

Oh behave.  A salt beef bagel is delightful.  Yours looks horrendous, though.

I'm indifferent to pie and mash but I was having a pint after the rugby today with a mate of mine who is a big QPR fan (our sons play for the same rugby team).  He'd been to Loftus Road yesterday and was bemoaning the fact that the local pie shop had been forced to close last year and feels that going to games is no longer the same as his 40-year routine has been disrupted.  Seems like it was a big story in west London: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/business/end-era-pie-shop-closes-9739495

Edited by The_Kincardine

On 9/9/2016 at 10:15, TheScarf said:

Heading down tonight on the Inverness Caledonian Thistle Sleeper lads.

Going to check out that Duck and Waffle Kinky recommended.  Has v v #dece reviews.

On you go, Scarfy...give us a debrief.  Where did you go and what did you eat?