Unbeaten Runs

energyzone

Just found this thread and would like to add my late thoughts.

The trouble with comparing unbeaten runs is that they're not all equal achievements.  When the Rose did the 50+ it was in the context of Superleague games against the best of the Lothian, Fife and Tayside teams.  In 1965 we were scoring double-figures against teams the equivalent of the worst of the local divisions these days.  We don't get many games like that now.  Some of the unbeaten runs are teams in lower divisions and, while you can only beat what's put in front of you, most of these runs are league only and the cup games lost to higher division teams are conveniently forgotten about.

Regarding the 2013 final, the Rose were still on an unbeaten run but they were crawling to the finish line with some scraped results as the extended cup runs were taking their toll.  Admittedly, winning "luckily" is the sign of a good team.  Against Auchinleck in the final we came up against a good team who played the right tactics against us and won deservedly although, even then, it looked for a long time as though we might hold out and just sneak it as we'd done a few times before.  As it was, Talbot hit the bar and it bounced in rather than out, just the type of lucky break we were hoping would come our way instead.

As for the replayed tie a couple of years before, I thought they were about the finest cup ties I'd ever seen in terms of drama even although we lost.  Respect to Auchinleck - I wish we had their cup record.  Somehow, in spite of lorry-loads of leagues and local cups, we seem to have a self-destruct button in the big one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived