Hampden Pitch to be relaid for the semi-finals

Davie Bhoy

I have been to Shettleston for football and for functions and without fail the functions are better attended than the football.

Nah mate, they get the same crowds as Queens Park, just let Queens use the one toilet and urinal in the social club and the one bar as a shop like Shettleston do... No big deal. :rolleyes:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celtic are the ground owners. When we got money for the Commonwealth games, we played a few games at Murrayfield. If we can move to a different city for a few games, why is it unreasonable to ask a club who with all due respect, only attract a few hundred fans, to move next door for a few games to allow for the pitch to bed when needed?

Because, frankly, it's completely irrelevant to the situation. If you are loaning out a ground then it is for the understanding of the full season card and the team's runs in the petrofac/league/Scottish cups. You don't just get to tell them to move on a few weeks' notice to a ground that is completely unsuitable for league football. There's not even any consideration to Queens who are pushing for the playoffs and a chance to  be promoted, and how moving from what has always been their home ground would have in terms of disruption and home team advantage. Celtic are ground owners? Irrelevant. Queens don't get as much as whatever junior game you claim to have seen? Also irrelevant. It's not the duty of other league clubs to bend over backwards when the OF - or any other big team, for that matter - come a-calling.

Celtic are the ground owners. When we got money for the Commonwealth games, we played a few games at Murrayfield.

We played a whole year at Airdrie. No amount of money can compensate for that

Celtic fans really are absolute fucking cretins. Arrogant c***s.

They have surpassed themselves this time though, basically demanding a new stadium is built to appease them.

No they havent. Everyone is saying it isnt fit for purpose including fans of other clubs and Scotland match regulars.

Good post otherwise James

Why not just do what they have done at Murrayfield and other modern Stadia, I believe Old Trafford has similar, and have the semi-synthetic pitch? Can't remember the ins and outs but there is a grass / plastic ratio and the pitch is almost always in great nick. 
It costs a bit but the Murrafield pitch was completely ruined a couple of years back and looks fantastic since the work was done. 

Murrayfield could even be used temporarily for games as I think it takes a few months. QP would be put out for a bit which is unfortunate, but 'for the greater good' etc a few weeks after the summer wouldn't be the end of the world.

Celtic are the ground owners. When we got money for the Commonwealth games, we played a few games at Murrayfield. If we can move to a different city for a few games, why is it unreasonable to ask a club who with all due respect, only attract a few hundred fans, to move next door for a few games to allow for the pitch to bed when needed?

Learn to multi quote ya fucking ringpiece

No they havent. Everyone is saying it isnt fit for purpose including fans of other clubs and Scotland match regulars.

Good post otherwise James

Whoosh. 

Stick to caving your ex-wifes head in. You're clearly much better at that than interpreting posts on an internet forum. 

:lol:

Aye, bizarre that the Celtic fans weren't demanding less games be played at Hampden when they had to bunk up there eh? Just when it suits the green bigots.

That was a case of needs must...just as this is a case of needs must. As the QP fan pointed out, there wasn't pitch problems back then. Still...don't let the facts get in the way of your wee agenda.

Nah mate, they get the same crowds as Queens Park, just let Queens use the one toilet and urinal in the social club and the one bar as a shop like Shettleston do... No big deal. :rolleyes:

Not that I suggested that but hey ho...keep it going jackanory

It's absolutely crazy stuff here from Davie Bhoy. Just get the scaffolding out with a few benches and a couple of portaloos, that'll dae. No thought whatsoever into criteria clubs in the SPFL have to meet (professional clubs!!) in regards to safety/stewarding/turnstiles, entrances and exits, then there's the whole toilet and concession stands to think of on top of that. Also no way they'd be able to sell any sort of hospitality package.

Lesser Hampden is basically, like you say,, a training ground. I've been inside the social club and watched a game from the balcony (Scotland Juniors v Ireland last May). There's no way it could be modified to suit a Queens Park league game easily.

All this by the way just to make sure that the pitch is slightly better, even though they're away from home at this time of year and don't play on it.

Mate there are grounds where people stand on grass slopes to watch games. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to carry out some work to adapt lesser Hampden.

Mate there are grounds where people stand on grass slopes to watch games. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to carry out some work to adapt lesser Hampden.

So f**k, what has that got to do with toilets/shops/turnstiles/entrances and exits/hospitality?

They grounds you mention (Borough Briggs and Stair Park) have 3 sides of terracing and one seated stand that includes hospitality etc. They also have terracing on the side where the grass is. The grounds have capacities of a few thousand, covered stands, seating, terracing, suitable toilets and shops, suitable turnstiles and segregation if required, entrances and exits etc.

Lesser Hampden has none of this. It's literally 200 seats at the side of a football pitch and that is it.

We play in Scotland, it rains a fair bit, pitches get cut a bit, deal with it.

The pitch should be left as it is for the semi's , laying a new a turf is mental and what's with the having go at queens park?

We play in Scotland, it rains a fair bit, pitches get cut a bit, deal with it.

The pitch should be left as it is for the semi's , laying a new a turf is mental and what's with the having go at queens park?

Normally I'd agree with you, but there's a definite flaw in this turf. It was only laid a few weeks ago and is being relaid free of charge so it's not just down to the weather.

Normally I'd agree with you, but there's a definite flaw in this turf. It was only laid a few weeks ago and is being relaid free of charge so it's not just down to the weather.

There's a chance that by relaying it the pitch could be in an even worse state.

I wouldn't take the gamble.

So f**k, what has that got to do with toilets/shops/turnstiles/entrances and exits/hospitality?

Did you ignore the bit about me saying the ground could be adapted. If there aren't sufficient turnstile & exits, it wouldn't cost a lot to instal what is needed. Toilets & Shops are an easy fix too.

They grounds you mention (Borough Briggs and Stair Park) have 3 sides of terracing and one seated stand that includes hospitality etc. They also have terracing on the side where the grass is. The grounds have capacities of a few thousand, covered stands, seating, terracing, suitable toilets and shops, suitable turnstiles and segregation if required, entrances and exits etc.

Lesser Hampden has none of this. It's literally 200 seats at the side of a football pitch and that is it.

Again a temporary stand like the ones at Hamilton & Falkirk would sort out the seats situation. There are no obstacles that couldn't be overcome.

Archived