Hampden Pitch to be relaid for the semi-finals

Davie Bhoy

Hampden Park is owned by Queen's Park.

They lease it to Hampden Park Ltd (periodically - the next lease ends 2020).

Hampden Park Ltd is owned by SFA, who take the profit after running costs plus QP's rent.

Hampden Park Ltd use it for SFA internationals, SFs / Finals; let it to SPFL for SFs / Finals; let it for concerts; etc.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I concur with the idea of getting cup finals played at Murrayfield. Makes more sense for them to be played in the capital anyway.

Get Hampden tae f**k.

Better stadium, bigger capacity, for atmosphere only experienced it for the Rugby, but sure a full house for the football would be bouncing. Aye it works for me.

Not so sure the good people of Edinburgh would welcome a Rangers Vs Celt*c game in the Capital though, should that fixture arise.

A logistical nightmare!

I concur with the idea of getting cup finals played at Murrayfield. Makes more sense for them to be played in the capital anyway.

Get Hampden tae f**k.

National stadium, do one.

One thing is for sure, on Saturday we're going to watch as the pitch cuts up when Dundee United and Hibs take to it.  Then we're going to watch as the cheeks take to a pitch that resembles the Somme for some good old fashioned blood and snotters stuff.

Is it Queens Park's fault?  Not directly.  They have every right to play in their own stadium, and although "take them to Lesser Hampden" sounds good in a one sentence soundbite, it isn't remotely realistic.  If I was them, I'd tell the SFA that they'd be happy to move, but demand an exorbitant amount of money from them.  Although knowing the SFA, they'd probably get it...

The blame lies purely with whoever is trying - and failing - to take care of the pitch.  I haven't seen anything from the Petrofac Cup, but by all accounts it sounds as though the surface was shocking.  Whoever's idea it is to put down a new pitch and give it a couple of days to bed in must be mental.  Sure it'll look great on the TV cameras for about five minutes, but once people actually go on it, it'll make the "National Stadium" look like an absolute farce.  Agree with whoever it was that said it isn't worth the gamble, and just to keep whatever they have now and take good care of it for the next week.

They seriously need to give a thought to the half-and-half surface that many major stadiums are using.  I've seen it said that it's too expensive, but given how highly thought of it is, surely it's worth putting it down over the summer, letting it bed in, and then getting a good few years of use out of it without having to relay it every week come Spring?

Better stadium, bigger capacity, for atmosphere only experienced it for the Rugby, but sure a full house for the football would be bouncing. Aye it works for me.

Not so sure the good people of Edinburgh would welcome a Rangers Vs Celt*c game in the Capital though, should that fixture arise.

A logistical nightmare!

Segregating it, inside and outside would also be a logistical nightmare, although were these issues able to be resolved it would be perfect IMO

Segregating it, inside and outside would also be a logistical nightmare, although were these issues able to be resolved it would be perfect IMO

Segregation of pubs/bars might pose a wee problem too!😉 Imagine the Grassmarket!!😧

Sums up the Old Firm that they have to discuss segregating an entire city. Pitiful.

Only because of the Rangers fans, the Celtic fans would be doing charity work and stuff.

Transport would be the biggest issue.

You'd have potentially 60,000+ OF fans having to share trains, trams, buses, stations and service stations, before and after.

The ferry is bad enough

I mentioned on another thread that deal should be made with Queen's to play games at Lesser Hampden (which should be redeveloped with a covered stand with corporate areas, offices, stands behind goals or opposite side, toilets, food facilities etc) in weeks leading up to Semis/ Finals / internationals or if a new pitch needs time to bed in, etc.......... or buy Hampden off of them and they could decided what they want to do themselves.

But no doubt a Spider will attack me for saying it.

Note at no point did i say "Lets force them out". I said do a deal as in put a propsal to you guys and see what happens.

It's already been pointed-out that Lesser Hampden is quite a restricted site. Also how many millions would it cost to properly construct such a ground?

There is also a fairness aspect. Not all of QP's opponents would play them on the same ground. Not even the same pitch dimensions or environment.

You're also assuming QP would agree. They're amateurs - their recruitment USP is getting to play at Hampden.

If there really is a serious problem with the Hampden pitch, and it can't be solved by better maintenance, they have to look at a hybrid surface.

Even though that's pretty expensive, it wouldn't be as costly as building a spare stadium for QP.

Has it been established if such pitches can host concerts and so on, or is that the problem? Are SFA - via Hampden Park Ltd - wanting those profits?

It's already been pointed-out that Lesser Hampden is quite a restricted site. Also how many millions would it cost to properly construct such a ground?

There is also a fairness aspect. Not all of QP's opponents would play them on the same ground. Not even the same pitch dimensions or environment.

You're also assuming QP would agree. They're amateurs - their recruitment USP is getting to play at Hampden.

If there really is a serious problem with the Hampden pitch, and it can't be solved by better maintenance, they have to look at a hybrid surface.

Even though that's pretty expensive, it wouldn't be as costly as building a spare stadium for QP.

Has it been established if such pitches can host concerts and so on, or is that the problem? Are SFA - via Hampden Park Ltd - wanting those profits?

I never assumed they would agree. I mearly put 2 options forward.

You assumed that i was assuming they would agree when i did not assume anything. :-P

murrayfield would be a nightmare for segregation.

hamdump is a hole and scotland should have a new national stadium which is bigger capacity than hanpden and the surface reinforced with plastic like murrayfield.

Archived