Ground sharing relegation.

itzdrk

Hi guys, noticing that Ochilview has a real prospect of a double relegation this season which is very rare and I wondered if it had ever happened before.

Me and a pal found (after quite a lot of searching) one instance of this before when Dumbarton and Clydebank both managed to get relegated in 1996/97.

Anyone able to offer up any more?

Could be wrong but I believe Accies groundshared at both Cliftonhill and Firhill between 1994-97 after the demolition of Douglas Park, and both Thistle and Accies got relegated from the Premier Division and Division One respectively in season 95-96. If there was a pyramid system, there could have been a triple whammy as Albion Rovers finished bottom of the third that season!

Groundshares were almost unknown before the 1990s - indeed I think it was basically accepted that you had to have your own park to play in SFL - so if you have checked back to say 1990, then it wouldn't surprise me if you've found the only example, certainly that lasted a whole season.

Before that it was not unknown for clubs to share for a brief period while work got done - famously early on in 1924-25 Hearts Hibs and St Bernards were all sharing Tynecastle at the same time - but not on a permanent basis. Only obvious case I can see is Edinburgh City and Leith Athletic sharing Marine Gardens, 1934-35.

• 3 months later...

Clydebank and Dumbarton were sharing Boghead Season 1996-97 and both were relegated that season. Bankies were relegated from the First Division alongside East Fife and The Sons were relegated from The Second Division alongside Berwick Rangers.

Sorry - just noticed the original post! Apologies!

Archived