The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, The Moonster said:

Alloa's budget is bigger than St Mirrens? 

Its certainly pretty hefty! Their chairman is ploughing a ridiculous amount of money in.

I was talking to a lad at Albion Rovers and he didnt think there was a hope in hell of st mirren getting Ross, due to finances.

He did think Young a more realistic option. He'd already been interviewed for the Raith job and its expected he'll step up soon.

Incidentally Rae & Faz knew they were fighting a losing battle as far back as the rovers game. It was a matter of time.

Just now, dave.j said:

Its certainly pretty hefty! Their chairman is ploughing a ridiculous amount of money in.

I was talking to a lad at Albion Rovers and he didnt think there was a hope in hell of st mirren getting Ross, due to finances.

He did think Young a more realistic option. He'd already been interviewed for the Raith job and its expected he'll step up soon.

Incidentally Rae & Faz knew they were fighting a losing battle as far back as the rovers game. It was a matter of time.

I agree Alloa's budget appears to be a very, very good one but I'm not convinced they have more to throw around than St Mirren. If they do then one of the clubs are in more trouble than made out.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I agree Alloa's budget appears to be a very, very good one but I'm not convinced they have more to throw around than St Mirren. If they do then one of the clubs are in more trouble than made out.

Well, Alloa's basically getting funded by Mike Mulraney.

Jack Ross would be a far better option if they decide to go down the young manager route.

Why would a manager jump ship while leading a team on an excellent promotion campaign into the Championship, to a Championship team that's probably evens for getting relegated to the league he just left?

Would surely make sense to finish this season with Alloa first (promoted or not) and then jump ship to a bigger club with a preseason to actually build his own team.

9 minutes ago, Smeato said:

Why would a manager jump ship while leading a team on an excellent promotion campaign into the Championship, to a Championship team that's probably evens for getting relegated to the league he just left?

Would surely make sense to finish this season with Alloa first (promoted or not) and then jump ship to a bigger club with a preseason to actually build his own team.

I think Ross will do the Hartley route and only move when its right, he could fail to get promotion this season and his jobs safe, whereas St Mirren have a 2 managers each season rule in at the moment.

Its all set for Gus, he started his St mirren management in similar dooms and gloom, they have reached out for Davies to get away from the usual management appointment in Scotland and failed, so its gotta be Gus

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Have a tantrum and quit at the first sign of a bad run of form only to take a bigger job two weeks later?

He was definetly tapped to go to Dundee, so much so that im sure Dundee paid them some cash afterwards.

Sure St Mirren fans would love to have a plan like Dundee had and envy teams that have sacked and appointed a new manager 2 days later

Does it now look like St Mirren will make an appointment on the day or night before our game ala Ian Murray ?

Have a tantrum and quit at the first sign of a bad run of form only to take a bigger job two weeks later?

The Hartley Fifa esque rage quit after we pumped Alloa 5-1 is one of my most satisfying Sons supporting moments.

Alloa I dont mind but Hartley is a p***k. His face was purple on the touchline, you could physically see the rage building as the goals rained in.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

He was definetly tapped to go to Dundee, so much so that im sure Dundee paid them some cash afterwards.

I can't see anything about Dundee paying cash to Alloa and I've absolutely no idea why they would do that, it would be an admission that they've broken the rules.  Hartley stormed into the directors area and resigned in front of Dumbarton board members in a fit of rage after a 5-1 pumping, which was during a real bad run of form for Alloa. He jumped to save his skin and got lucky that another job came up and they took a punt on him.

FWIW, Jack Ross is far more handsome and humble than that wee fat w**k ever will be. 

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can't see anything about Dundee paying cash to Alloa and I've absolutely no idea why they would do that, it would be an admission that they've broken the rules.  Hartley stormed into the directors area and resigned in front of Dumbarton board members in a fit of rage after a 5-1 pumping, which was during a real bad run of form for Alloa. He jumped to save his skin and got lucky that another job came up and they took a punt on him.

FWIW, Jack Ross is far more handsome and humble than that wee fat w**k ever will be. 

This BBC article by Jim Spence (who is well connected enough in Dundee to have known) suggests compensation would have been due though may have been waived.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26027070

Hartley had asked to leave his job but he was possibly still validly contracted to Alloa.

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It wasn't even that bad a run, certainly not in the context of Alloa Athletic's run in the Championship. I think they lost three games in a row before he quit.

This is simply delicious. Saint Maureen fans were clearly deluded enough to think that Billy Davies was interested in anything other than being handed a practically unlimited, chequebook role as manager (hence why he slithered off after talks). Others were even more stupid, believing that Jack Ross would abandon a credible chance of a league title to hold Scottish football's poisoned chalice for less than twelve months.

Now the thick jakey Alex Rae's managerial record would actually sit comfortably in the middle of their utterly crap shortlist. What a wee shame.

1475192073923.jpg

Seen a few mention Hartley. He was in no way tapped up although it was convenient.

Scot Gardiner was actually begging Bomber to stay but he done a surprisingly decent thing and held his hands up and said he wouldn't get us up.

Hartley meanwhile had quit Alloa and it was ironically Barry Smith's first game in charge at Alloa that spelled the end of Bomber's tenure.

We approached Hartley (After a night of begging - and our chairman Bill Colvin stepped in) and he was ours. Alloa would have been due compensation as I believe he hadn't fully cancelled his deal at Alloa by that point, it was just mutually agreed by Mulraney and Hartley without any contracts formally being ripped up. Mulraney was in his rights to play hardball but let it slide.

Hartley quite clearly saw the way that the wind was blowing for him managing Alloa in the First Division and jumped ship; he's not too far from doing the same at Dundee IMO. There's nothing wrong with having that attitude from his perspective; just don't expect him to hang around to deal with a mess of his own making.

A few more crap results and/or cup showings and he'll flounce out the door to be replaced by born-again managerial genius Jim Duffy. Just let that sink in.

Archived