Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

I certainly hope we do see a change.    Even if it's just improving the basic team shape.  Wider strikers haven't been doubling up with the full backs,  better CM shape,  someone in holding role,  better defensive balancing, etc.

The official site have done an interview and it's just the usual inoffensive shite.   Would loved to have had more football chat.

Aye fluffiest article I've read in a while. Would like to have heard a bit more from him.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CumbyDiamond said:

DBM, Fair response earlier, just wondered if the removal of a goal threat & what looks like very competent defender at that level may have contributed to drop in form of U20s, agree Higgins should have been allowed a run at RB to free up Stewart which would result in Fitz being dropped IMO. Wonder if new manager will have a view on the captaincy & the seemingly untouchable Fitz. Think this would have allowed a more balanced 442 with Conroy & Leitch in centre of midfield with Brown & Stewart on wings supporting front two as more central & direct strike pairing.

Fitz's best game of the season was the 3-1 win on opening day at Hampden.   He actually played the holding role and, athough he was no Ross Docherty or Craig Barr, he didnt do too badly and allowing the far more talented Leitch and Conroy to influence play further forwards, and he was certainly less of a liability than his headless chicken role.

The fluffy feel good propoganda story on the club website suggests that capitano and Russell were real leaders this week.   Given that training was poor recently though, I wonder what influence the captain and experienced players were having during that period.

Re the 20s, we regularly have mainly 16, 17 and 18y/os in the team.   kids like Kinvig, Kerr, Truesdale, Ross and Thomson in my eyes have a future but could be miles behind in development than many opponents just now but there could be a huge amount more room for improvent that we cant see in the bare results.   Of course conversely it may just be that either they, or their now removed coach, are shite.   But we cant take that just from the bare results.

8 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Surely newbies are welcome. ? Just feel that Fitzpatrick contributes more than he gets credit for.

I'd love to know what metric you're using when analysing his contribution?   Given that he's rarely dropped or missing how can we tell (earlier post) how he improves us?  

I certainly don't rate him but that's just me.   Now he'll likely have one of his rare good days tomorrow and probably grab a goal just to spite me.   I don't hate him, he seems a gen up lad

2 hours ago, Nicko said:

Christ! Ok, I'll maybe watch tomorrow with a more discerning eye.

Have to agree with DBM here.

Actually, if you troll through some of his posts and look at the goals against breakdowns, which he does very well, you'll see Fitzpatrick is culpable quite a lot.

I can't see any reason we offered him a two year deal.

Archived