Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What makes you think Kevin McBride is the right man to take forward the first team?
“I looked at what my starting point was, my vision and beliefs. We couldn’t continue to do the same things better. It was never a case of bringing in a manager who had been around the block.

“I looked at the job he did with the under-20s, I looked at what he was like from the day he left the dressing room as a player to where he was at the end of the season and it was night and day.

“He had matured, moved on and become a leader. I was out with Terry Butcher and George Burley on Sunday night. Terry couldn’t say enough good things about Kevin – good guy, everybody likes him, intelligent, likes football played the right way. His assistant is Donald Jennow and the two complement each other with their skills sets.”

What is the situation with Eddie and has a timescale been put on his return?
“Eddie is having a phased return to work. Timescales are completely up to him. He will maybe come in two days a week and observe training.

“He is the elder statesman, although he’s only 51, the two younger guys can bounce ideas off. We don’t want to lean on Eddie this side of Christmas but we’re not leaving him out. What we have to do is not put any pressure on him whatsoever. None. His health, and his family, come before the game of football.”

What a difference a few months make...

3 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The verbal agreement is not worth the paper it was written on Copper.   

It may have been the case if it had not been made public knowledge, announcing on the Website he had a 2 and half year deal.

He had a verbal deal as a consultant by the sound of it, not as an employee.   

2 things are wrong here;

1.)  Woleki, and his pal "Kingy" - who was no doubt involved in the deal as he was CEO, should have had better than a loose verbal agreement, and...

2.)  Wotherspoon is clearly a man of his word...  till he doesn't need you.

I am concerned by the TW goes about his business, yes we have not reached the highs as a club as we did in the 80s and 90s. Recent years been stuck playing lower leagues but one thing we kept as a club was being a decent employer now it seems it's all about TW and respect of the club goes out the window. I am happy watching us on the park but I'm far from happy with our chairman.

8 hours ago, waysider said:

Somebody once told me that EWB was an employee of TW's company and not the football club. I've no idea whether it's true.

King was an employee of M&H Logistics rather than the club so it doesn't seem entirely implausible that EWB had a similar arrangement. Not sure how that works in terms of contract, pay etc but seems a strange way of doing business but I guess there must be some supposed advantages.

The club has the ability to dismiss EWB on capability grounds if he cannot fulfill his duties, even if adjustments are made for him. The club must be able to show they have taken every reasonable step and that they have medical advice showing that he isn't fit.

This is employment law.

And that assumes he has a contract with the club as an employee.

Anyone know for sure when the development game this week? Airdrie site says tonight, SPFL says Wednesday?

The dates on the website are "week commencing", the actual dates are agreed by the clubs the week before the game. It will be Wednesday, they played in the cup yesterday.

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

King was an employee of M&H Logistics rather than the club so it doesn't seem entirely implausible that EWB had a similar arrangement. Not sure how that works in terms of contract, pay etc but seems a strange way of doing business but I guess there must be some supposed advantages.

21 minutes ago, Moon said:

The club has the ability to dismiss EWB on capability grounds if he cannot fulfill his duties, even if adjustments are made for him. The club must be able to show they have taken every reasonable step and that they have medical advice showing that he isn't fit.

This is employment law.

And that assumes he has a contract with the club as an employee.

EWB was neither an employee of the club or M & H Logistics, he was a self employed/sole consultant and was paid as such. So employment law or employee contracts didn't come into it. 

14 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

EWB was neither an employee of the club or M & H Logistics, he was a self employed/sole consultant and was paid as such. So employment law or employee contracts didn't come into it. 

This could be a problem in itself.

So the club have announced him as head coach/manager etc all over internet media etc, but if what your saying is correct he's a self employed consultant. So someone isn't telling the truth.

if HMRC look at it then it looks basically what it is ,if your info is correct (which I ain't doubting), a Tax Dodge

HMRC are quite clear, if you attend the place of work at times given by employer then your employed. Telling everyone that eddie was the head coach with contract implies employed , which will only help EWB case.

This could get even messier. 

17 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Justin Fashanu, Peter Davenport, Gus Caesar and a few others were employed by Dalziel Bakers back in the day.

This could be a problem in itself.

So the club have announced him as head coach/manager etc all over internet media etc, but if what your saying is correct he's a self employed consultant. So someone isn't telling the truth.

if HMRC look at it then it looks basically what it is ,if your info is correct (which I ain't doubting), a Tax Dodge

HMRC are quite clear, if you attend the place of work at times given by employer then your employed. Telling everyone that eddie was the head coach with contract implies employed , which will only help EWB case.

This could get even messier. 

But you can attend a work place, as an agency worker, self employed the list goes on

Archived