Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

Arguing about who our best(:lol:) defender is, when we've far and away the worst defensive record in the country, is reminiscent of the bald men and combs scenario.

:D It's alright though, you've got Mensing - he covers both contests :D 

I said the same when we brought in GD and MW - predicted it would be a disaster over on the facebook page. I was happy clapped down.

Happy clappers are just as much to blame for our mess as anyone else. It's become acceptable to be substandard as long as there is a team to support.

Happy clappers are just as much to blame for our mess as anyone else. It's become acceptable to be substandard as long as there is a team to support.

Personally I think that sentiment now has to be put to bed if we're to move forward. I will be forever grateful that we have the club and won't forget the heartbreak on the day I realised I didn't, but this mentality is holding us back.

How on earth can a manager who plied his trade as a defender at a fairly reasonable level be able to ship on average two goals a game? How is that even possible? Out of his 19 league games in charge we have conceded 3 or more goals on no less than 6 occasions, that's a whopping 32% of the games he been in charge of! McBride wasn't exactly much better at 27% but he at least managed to have a positive goal difference. We went from conceding 1.6 goals a game under McBride, which is still pretty poor tbh, to 2.1 goals per game, and I am doing MW a kindness by rounding the figures down the way! That number is simply just horrendous, especially when compared to our FT counterparts at Livi who are conceding a mere 1 goal per game.

Fcuk it, lets just go 2-5-3 for the rest of the season, surely it can't be any worse just playing two defenders than it is playing 4/5 of them.

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

This is nonsense. It's as bad as Wilson blaming fans who boo. Our problems are caused solely by the standard of some of our players and, more importantly, the standard of the management team. People clapping and people booing are nothing to do with it. Presumably from your post you would want more people to boo. Can you explain to me how this would improve things?

It's more or less the same team that had a pretty convincing winning streak of 6 or 7 games. In November we played some really good football. Whether the team were starting to gel under the yoke of McBride and could have continued that form will never be known. Seems to me we have some strong players but a very weak team at the moment. And a goalie with no confidence.

Listening to W & D, pontificating about football on the radio whilst sailing their own ship against the rocks is truly painful. Dafties should either give up the punditry or give up Airdrie.

♢♢♢

36 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Listening to W & D, pontificating about football on the radio whilst sailing their own ship against the rocks is truly painful. Dafties should either give up the punditry or give up Airdrie.

Listening to MW fawn over the new sevco managers first pre match press conference truly gave me the boke, talking about how managers will do their homework but won't give away much pre match, judging on our performances I would presume he isn't including himself in the managers bracket.

Fresh start required asap, some of the squad is worth keeping as they are not as truly awful as our results are suggesting, just seem to lack any form of leadership on and off the field and a management team who would have probably got the sack at a juniors side for some of the utter tripe they have served up as "football".  I mean surely TW is now sitting watching these games, if he even does, and thinks to himself "ye employing a director of football who isn't even at the games was probably an epic fcuk up".

Looking ahead to the new season, and on the assumption that we get a new management team, does anyone know which players are on 2 year contracts? I would guess that Ferguson, Gorman, McIntosh, MacDonald, Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Brown, Russell and Ryan will be on 2 year contracts but I am guessing. Does anyone have accurate information?

This is nonsense. It's as bad as Wilson blaming fans who boo. Our problems are caused solely by the standard of some of our players and, more importantly, the standard of the management team. People clapping and people booing are nothing to do with it. Presumably from your post you would want more people to boo. Can you explain to me how this would improve things?

Our current state to some has become acceptable when it's clearly far from acceptable, we are the laughing stock of the league. We need to either decide whether we want to be full time or part time rather than something stupidly in between, if we are to stay full time then we need a manager and a coaching team that are able to make decisions rather than follow some has been. We also need to go on the hunt for a real full time squad, not a squad of 4/5 full time players subsidised by kids, that's the biggest reason we are in this mess. Believe it or not but there are some people out there who watch Airdrie and think this is acceptable.

3 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Our current state to some has become acceptable when it's clearly far from acceptable, we are the laughing stock of the league. We need to either decide whether we want to be full time or part time rather than something stupidly in between, if we are to stay full time then we need a manager and a coaching team that are able to make decisions rather than follow some has been. We also need to go on the hunt for a real full time squad, not a squad of 4/5 full time players subsidised by kids, that's the biggest reason we are in this mess. Believe it or not but there are some people out there who watch Airdrie and think this is acceptable.

I agree with much of that but it doesn't justify your previous statement that happy clappers are as much to blame as anyone for the present mess. There are people out there who regard it as their duty to support the club regardless. That doesn't mean that they are to blame for the mess. I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find a happy clapper who is content with our present predicament.

30 minutes ago, waysider said:

Looking ahead to the new season, and on the assumption that we get a new management team, does anyone know which players are on 2 year contracts? I would guess that Ferguson, Gorman, McIntosh, MacDonald, Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Brown, Russell and Ryan will be on 2 year contracts but I am guessing. Does anyone have accurate information?

Brown is a 1 year deal

1 minute ago, She who dares gins said:

They do. They wear you down even when a poor decision is slapping them around the head. Blind devotion doesn't win games.

Its a bit like last night's Scotland thing,  they booed that donkey on and typical on that occassion the broken clock was right for a change.   999 out of 1000 he's never scoring in that situation, now the clever folk all look stupid but he gets another 10 games to prove them right.

Its a bit like last night's Scotland thing,  they booed that donkey on and typical on that occassion the broken clock was right for a change.   999 out of 1000 he's never scoring in that situation, now the clever folk all look stupid but he gets another 10 games to prove them right.

Perfectly summed up.

I'm in the mood now for blowing things up a bit to see what we've got when clearly even some of the supposed remedies are worse than the problems they were meant to cure.

For starters,  despite being good where he is, Scott Stewart is a box to box central midfielder.

McIntosh is going to settle in central defence.

Young Craig Truesdale really impresses me.   He's a right full back, only 17 but a bright prospect.

I think we're at the stage we could do with a bit of a reset.

Archived