Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How folk can say Russell is untouchable is beyond me. He's not the player he was but he's got the experience which in short supply in our team. 16 goals this season. Ok a lot of them are penalties but a goal's a goal. We'd be much poorer without him.

He did annoy me with his play acting and arguing with the ref but that has improved.

Maybe we should drop him and Ryan and play the super scoring McKay and a youngster. 

When we talk about players who have let the team down this season I would suggest that most of them come at the other end of the park.

Whilst Russell didn't really impress yesterday at Peterhead he was still miles ahead of McKay whose performance made me agree with the conspiracy theorist's with regards to his ol man.

Sean McIntosh really has to find his true position to progress his career as its not centre back as he is not physically strong or good enough in the air to play there. Having said that, i probably would still pick him in front of all the other dumplings but strongly feel he will be far better given a run in midfield as there is a player in there.

11 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Whilst Russell didn't really impress yesterday at Peterhead he was still miles ahead of McKay whose performance made me agree with the conspiracy theorist's with regards to his ol man.

Sean McIntosh really has to find his true position to progress his career as its not centre back as he is not physically strong or good enough in the air to play there. Having said that, i probably would still pick him in front of all the other dumplings but strongly feel he will be far better given a run in midfield as there is a player in there.

McIntosh has a lot of talent but I agree that at the present he is not strong enough for centre defence. Even at right back, there were occasions when he was brushed aside, not that he was alone in that. He is definitely worth persevering with unlike some of our team.

Think it's got something to do with the fact they're just not very good...

As an aside it's impressive that the only thing MW seems to be consistent with is that he's "disappointed" every week in the post match interview. What a fud.

ETA: All the disappointment appears to have taken its toll on MW. He looks like he's aged 10 years in 4 months.

Game 1:

IMG_1491164643.987016.jpg

Game 21:

IMG_1491164658.825125.jpg

14 minutes ago, el Gringo said:

Better players than Mensing have been ripped by Rory McAllister. Not saying he shouldn't have done better, but at the end of the day the guy is a top striker for this level.

Admittedly Gringo but Mensing was also "top" defender at a higher level... allegedly.   Big Rory also did the exact same thing to Mensing last time we played them.   Lesson learned?  No?

No matter the defensive personnel we are also sticking to a zonal system just now. Gorman ideally should either have been marking McAllister or sweeping behind Mensing.   All we need is Mensing to get bullied and they have a clean shot at goal.   Maybe Sandy should teach our back 3 how to mark/sweep?

McAllister hasn't been the great striker he was lately , Saw him v Albion a few weeks back and wouldn't move for anything. Dunlop had him in his pocket. 

Was a great player not anymore which is the reason Peterhead are toiling 

McAllister is still scoring at a pretty decent rate but the rest of the Peterhead team is not as good as it's been.

Bottom line is that Mensing is shite and our management is shite, we need rid of them all.   10 games with Mensing and we've won 3 and drawn 1.   All of the points we've gained against the bottom 2 or 3 teams.    Conceded 25 goals too and Mensing liable personally for more than Rohan and Gorman combined.

2 hours ago, Nipples said:

Thanks to a late Stranraer goal on Saturday, Airdrie are no longer the "most conceedingist" team in Scottish League football. Yay! 

I saw this too but strictly speaking as I discovered yesterday, we have to include the Highland /Lowland Leagues in the League Pyramid system where Fort William have conceded 130 goals! Yes I know that makes me a sad nerd. Still think we will be around 66 at the end which sums up our unsolved problems this season

Archived