Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice win yesterday v. Brechin.  

It's so frustrating to acknowledge we'd lost heavily to them only a few weeks ago.   Apart from Liam Watt who put in a really good shift, they didn't look up to much at all.   But that was in no small part due to our dynamic display.   Why are we so bipolar?

The midfield yesterday looked majestic.   That's partly due to the fact that they aren't being bypassed by a diet of long balls.   McIntosh and Gorman are both capable of settling the game down and stroking the ball ball in to the midfield where Conroy in particular will gratefully receive the ball.

Hutton set up the 1st for Russell.   He pressed high and won the ball deep in Brechin's half before switching across the box.    Conroy and Leitch showed a fair amount flair, constantly passing and probing.

Russell has been an annoying player for me all season, the epitomy of a "Jeckyll and Hyde" character.   Played in his favoured central position he scored 2 and looked a captain.  Whether he hangs the hammer and pouts his lower lip when played on the wing is up for debate but on yesterday's display it's obvious that he's effective against the majority of this league.   

Talking of wings,  the back 3 that the manager has listened to us shout about has given us a far more solid base though it's far from sorted.  Stewart and McDonald are far more comfy as wingbacks.   McDonald finally got a goal this week though his delivery needs to become more consistent.   Stewart set up the 3rd with a brilliant, maurauding 3rd.  And remember that Stewart should still be in midfield.

But what about the defence and the goalie?

Although I (deservedly) have my haters here on P+B I am still going to defend the goalie.    It's criminal the club don't have a proper experienced goalie coach for him.    The boy is going to be a great goalie for someone but his confidence is clearly broken and in need of repair.  I've seen Mensing destroy him in games when the goalie was more in need of a wise instruction from an experienced team mate.   At Brechin's goal prior to the corner you could clearly see a lack of confidence,  the goalie and Mensing not communicating either verbally or non-verbally.   You know who the dominant personality is. 

The defence still need a fair bit of organising.   I'm again swimming against the tide by saying I'm much happier with McIntosh and Gorman in there.   Since that midweek defeat at Glebe Park 3 weeks ago Gorman was installed in a 3 man defence and we've won 2, drawn 1 and conceded goals at a clip of over 1 less per game than we had been doing.   That has improved again since McIntosh came back in from his cruel and unjust benching by Wilson.   I'm going on record as saying I'm no fan of either Mensing or our zonal defending though.

LIVVY result apart I've been a lot happier in the past few weeks with how we're playing though we have to make more adjustments to play teams at a higher level and we need to get the goalies a proper f/t coach.    Given recent improvements we could still see a playoff run but we need to hit the line running and get the team working like this every week.

Really nice win yesterday v. Brechin.  

It's so frustrating to acknowledge we'd lost heavily to them only a few weeks ago.   Apart from Liam Watt who put in a really good shift, they didn't look up to much at all.   But that was in no small part due to our dynamic display.   Why are we so bipolar?

The midfield yesterday looked majestic.   That's partly due to the fact that they aren't being bypassed by a diet of long balls.   McIntosh and Gorman are both capable of settling the game down and stroking the ball ball in to the midfield where Conroy in particular will gratefully receive the ball.

Hutton set up the 1st for Russell.   He pressed high and won the ball deep in Brechin's half before switching across the box.    Conroy and Leitch showed a fair amount flair, constantly passing and probing.

Russell has been an annoying player for me all season, the epitomy of a "Jeckyll and Hyde" character.   Played in his favoured central position he scored 2 and looked a captain.  Whether he hangs the hammer and pouts his lower lip when played on the wing is up for debate but on yesterday's display it's obvious that he's effective against the majority of this league.   

Talking of wings,  the back 3 that the manager has listened to us shout about has given us a far more solid base though it's far from sorted.  Stewart and McDonald are far more comfy as wingbacks.   McDonald finally got a goal this week though his delivery needs to become more consistent.   Stewart set up the 3rd with a brilliant, maurauding 3rd.  And remember that Stewart should still be in midfield.

But what about the defence and the goalie?

Although I (deservedly) have my haters here on P+B I am still going to defend the goalie.    It's criminal the club don't have a proper experienced goalie coach for him.    The boy is going to be a great goalie for someone but his confidence is clearly broken and in need of repair.  I've seen Mensing destroy him in games when the goalie was more in need of a wise instruction from an experienced team mate.   At Brechin's goal prior to the corner you could clearly see a lack of confidence,  the goalie and Mensing not communicating either verbally or non-verbally.   You know who the dominant personality is. 

The defence still need a fair bit of organising.   I'm again swimming against the tide by saying I'm much happier with McIntosh and Gorman in there.   Since that midweek defeat at Glebe Park 3 weeks ago Gorman was installed in a 3 man defence and we've won 2, drawn 1 and conceded goals at a clip of over 1 less per game than we had been doing.   That has improved again since McIntosh came back in from his cruel and unjust benching by Wilson.   I'm going on record as saying I'm no fan of either Mensing or our zonal defending though.

LIVVY result apart I've been a lot happier in the past few weeks with how we're playing though we have to make more adjustments to play teams at a higher level and we need to get the goalies a proper f/t coach.    Given recent improvements we could still see a playoff run but we need to hit the line running and get the team working like this every week.

I cannot claim to be one of your haters - in fact find myself nodding along with almost all of the above.

Ferguson looks like he had no confidence and quite frankly I think we've asked far too much of a player that young this season and that's not his fault. We have no other options so he needs to take all the snark coming his way. I felt uncomfortable watching Mensing berate him yesterday.

After Andy Ryan I really hope there's a place for Scott Stewart next season. Very hard to stop him once he starts running.

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I felt uncomfortable watching Mensing berate him yesterday.

On reviewing the highlights again, i feel compelled to look again at the 2 incidents where Rohan was slated quite vehently for "not coming out.    Neither situation btw did he concede a goal.

Both occassions our defence failed miserably to deal with a long ball from deep in Brechin's half.   Same move every week is catching us out, Mensing is like a statue and the other centres are not covering as they're trying to play this crap zonal style.   

And there's no communication,  the reactions of certain experienced players (Mensing in particular) is toxic.   

Someone at the club really needs to look at the video and sort that out 6 months ago.

Could we see a repeat of 2012?  We were pretty much out of it in March, way down in 7th place, but a great finish saw us make the playoffs in 4th place and the joy of beating our old pals Ayr United at Somerset Park.  The agony of losing to the Sons in the final turned to joy as a certain Glasgow club went bust and we went up.  We can but hope!!!

4 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Could we see a repeat of 2012?  We were pretty much out of it in March, way down in 7th place, but a great finish saw us make the playoffs in 4th place and the joy of beating our old pals Ayr United at Somerset Park.  The agony of losing to the Sons in the final turned to joy as a certain Glasgow club went bust and we went up.  We can but hope!!!

Stranger things have happened but I hope we avoid a playoff with Dumbarton! Can't see anyone else going bust this season.

Having a look at the remaining fixtures, I recon another 5 points would see us into the play offs.

Stranraer (Away) - Draw
Alloa (Home) - Lose
East Fife (Away) - Draw
Queens Park (Home) - Win

With those predictions it is possible that Airdrie, East Fife and Queens Park could all go into the last game on 48 points.

I really hope that, for the fans and for MW, that we are able to get into the play offs to return a bit of positivity to the club. Especially if rumours are true that MW will be kept on next season, it would be utter shite if this negativity surrounding the club are continued into the new season.

Please Airdrie, for once surprise us!!!

6 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Having a look at the remaining fixtures, I recon another 5 points would see us into the play offs.

Stranraer (Away) - Draw
Alloa (Home) - Lose
East Fife (Away) - Draw
Queens Park (Home) - Win

With those predictions it is possible that Airdrie, East Fife and Queens Park could all go into the last game on 48 points.

I really hope that, for the fans and for MW, that we are able to get into the play offs to return a bit of positivity to the club. Especially if rumours are true that MW will be kept on next season, it would be utter shite if this negativity surrounding the club are continued into the new season.

Yes it could be that 5 might set up a playoff. Of the last 9 games on the Stomp I have managed to get four out of 5 right for the first time this season and in a spirit of optimism back then I went for a win at Stranraer/East Fife and at home to QP whilst a draw against Alloa-conceding a goal in very game! That would be 10 points for 56! Can't wait for Saturday to either confirm or revisit my optimism. If MW does it I will give him a chance for next season but as for DOF, not in my name.

It's criminal the club don't have a proper experienced goalie coach for him.    The boy is going to be a great goalie for someone but his confidence is clearly broken and in need of repair.

I agree, A lad of his age should not have been tasked with the job of defending the goal without a break all season. We should have had

an experienced goalie standing in now and again and coaching him in how to command the goal area forcefully despite any remarks

or moans from any of the defenders who some have let him down on many occasions.

I think Ferguson could be top notch!

24 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Stranraer (Away) - Draw
Alloa (Home) - Lose
East Fife (Away) - Draw
Queens Park (Home) - Win

East Fife has seen a slump in form, I would hope for 3 points there, I would also think that Alloa might think that they are safe in their playoff position so at least a point at home.

Yes it could be that 5 might set up a playoff. Of the last 9 games on the Stomp I have managed to get four out of 5 right for the first time this season and in a spirit of optimism back then I went for a win at Stranraer/East Fife and at home to QP whilst a draw against Alloa-conceding a goal in very game! That would be 10 points for 56! Can't wait for Saturday to either confirm or revisit my optimism. If MW does it I will give him a chance for next season but as for DOF, not in my name.

Well I hope your predictions are right :lol:

East Fife has seen a slump in form, I would hope for 3 points there, I would also think that Alloa might think that they are safe in their playoff position so at least a point at home.

I was trying to keep my realistic hat on and not get carried away with yesterday's performance.

Try to remember how poor we've been, we're capable of losing to anyone!!

Suspect Alloa, East Fife and QP will all be right up for it as well given the plays offs are only a few weeks away.

Do we really want to get to the playoffs, knowing that in all probability we will get horsed?

If by some miracle, we got to the playoffs and actually won, we would be the whipping boys in the Championship next season. Unfortunately, we've got players under contract next year who are not good enough for League 1 never mind the Championship.

At the start of the season, TW said the aim was to get to the playoffs. In doing so,that would be a case of job done. However the reality is, for the most part we've just not been good enough.

Dalziel and Wilson must go!

11 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

I cannot claim to be one of your haters - in fact find myself nodding along with almost all of the above.

Ferguson looks like he had no confidence and quite frankly I think we've asked far too much of a player that young this season and that's not his fault. We have no other options so he needs to take all the snark coming his way. I felt uncomfortable watching Mensing berate him yesterday.

After Andy Ryan I really hope there's a place for Scott Stewart next season. Very hard to stop him once he starts running.

Agree, if that had been an older more experienced goalie he would have shut Mensing up big time but our lad hasn't leaned that yet

But he will ..............................................................................................for sure he will!

Agree, if that had been an older more experienced goalie he would have shut Mensing up big time but our lad hasn't leaned that yet
But he will ..............................................................................................for sure he will!

Big Johnny would've slapped mensing by noo he's got a cheek to shout at any c**t he's rank rotten

Do we really want to get to the playoffs, knowing that in all probability we will get horsed?

If by some miracle, we got to the playoffs and actually won, we would be the whipping boys in the Championship next season. Unfortunately, we've got players under contract next year who are not good enough for League 1 never mind the Championship.

At the start of the season, TW said the aim was to get to the playoffs. In doing so,that would be a case of job done. However the reality is, for the most part we've just not been good enough.

Dalziel and Wilson must go!

I personally can't understand why anybody wouldn't want to get into play offs. Four one off games, anything can happen. It's not like we'll be up against Barcelona. It'll be Alloa/ Brechin/ Raith Rovers/ Ayr - hardly world beaters!

How would we be the whipping boys of the Championship? Have we got some kind of transfer embargo that I have missed? We have at least six first team players that are not under contact for next season, who's wages can be used to bring in fresh players. Couple that with the increased crowds there will definitely be money available to improve the squad.

How we've played this season will (/should) have no bearing on how we perform next season.

There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to be competitive in the league above. If the likes of QoS, Morton, Raith and Dumbarton (!!!) etc. can manage it so can we.

14 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

That has improved again since McIntosh came back in from his cruel and unjust benching by Wilson.

Great analysis!

Totally agree about McIntosh. He's proved his worth time and time again and keeps getting shafted. He's a first 11 player without a doubt. I think if he hit the gym and bulked up he'd be one intimidating prospect, but as he stands he's already passed enough tests.

Unfashionable though it is, I also agree about Gorman.

◇◇◇

Archived