Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Last years squad 30 players used :- 1 Parry, 2 Ferguson, 3 Bain, 4 McNeil, 5 Crichton, 6 Lithgow, 7 McBride, 8 Van Zanten, 9 McDonald, 10 Cox, 11 Cadden, 12 Brown, 13 Faria, 14 Fitzpatrick, 15 Stewart, 16 Gilfillan,17 Morton, 18 McAleer, 19 Watt, 20 Glackin, 21 Lister, 22 Prunty, 23 McLaughlin, 24 Leighton

Loan players (ahem not all players) :- 25 Taylor, 26 Ferguson, 27 Thomson, 28 Smith, 29 Sumzky, 30 Mackin

This years squad (so far) : 1 Ferguson, 2 McDonald, 3 Gorman, 4 Brown, 5 Stewart, 6 Faria, 7 Fitzpatrick, 8 Ryan and 8 apprentices (McLaughlin and Leighton being 2)

So 30 players finished 5th (just) level with rovers and to be honest were closer to bottom than top.

This year 8 players (so far) and 8 apprentices with 2 or 3 more to be added (clubs words today)

Point me to the season ticket booth, Championship here we come!!!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last years squad 30 players used :- 1 Parry, 2 Ferguson, 3 Bain, 4 McNeil, 5 Crichton, 6 Lithgow, 7 McBride, 8 Van Zanten, 9 McDonald, 10 Cox, 11 Cadden, 12 Brown, 13 Faria, 14 Fitzpatrick, 15 Stewart, 16 Gilfillan,17 Morton, 18 McAleer, 19 Watt, 20 Glackin, 21 Lister, 22 Prunty, 23 McLaughlin, 24 Leighton

Loan players (ahem not all players) :- 25 Taylor, 26 Ferguson, 27 Thomson, 28 Smith, 29 Sumzky, 30 Mackin

This years squad (so far) : 1 Ferguson, 2 McDonald, 3 Gorman, 4 Brown, 5 Stewart, 6 Faria, 7 Fitzpatrick, 8 Ryan and 8 apprentices (McLaughlin and Leighton being 2)

So 30 players finished 5th (just) level with rovers and to be honest were closer to bottom than top.

This year 8 players (so far) and 8 apprentices with 2 or 3 more to be added (clubs words today)

Was that Billy McNeill?

Last years squad 30 players used :- 1 Parry, 2 Ferguson, 3 Bain, 4 McNeil, 5 Crichton, 6 Lithgow, 7 McBride, 8 Van Zanten, 9 McDonald, 10 Cox, 11 Cadden, 12 Brown, 13 Faria, 14 Fitzpatrick, 15 Stewart, 16 Gilfillan,17 Morton, 18 McAleer, 19 Watt, 20 Glackin, 21 Lister, 22 Prunty, 23 McLaughlin, 24 Leighton

Loan players (ahem not all players) :- 25 Taylor, 26 Ferguson, 27 Thomson, 28 Smith, 29 Sumzky, 30 Mackin

This years squad (so far) : 1 Ferguson, 2 McDonald, 3 Gorman, 4 Brown, 5 Stewart, 6 Faria, 7 Fitzpatrick, 8 Ryan and 8 apprentices (McLaughlin and Leighton being 2)

Who on earth is McNeil? And I don't think Glackin played at all for us?

sorry O'Neil and your are right Glackin didn't play on the bench as squad player.

The point is that if we are going for quality next year rather than quantity then I am not hopeful so far... I hope I am wrong oh do I hope I am wrong, as last year was dire most of the time. We were outplayed, other teams looked better organised and fitter than us, we lost 3 times to Stenhousemuir nearly 4 times. We need a first team this year that we can look forward 2, nothing in the signings so far fills me with any hope.

Echo what diamondaway has said, we were outplayed and out worked last season, particularly in midfield, so it worries me that Fitzpatrick has been given a contract. I fear they have not learned their lesson - faria and Fitz will not do if they want to play football from the back. As soon as other teams pushed up and got in their faces the didnt know what to do, and its painful watching Fitzpatrick trying to track runs. I hope we pull off a few signings who look as promising as the lad ryan does, this would give me more optimism but right now I fear we may be worrying about the bottom end of the table than the top, although early days.

I am Happy to see scott Stewart signed up, I think he will turn out to be a good player and has shown signs of that the last quarter of the season. Brown is a hard one, hopefully with full time training and a pre season he can kick on and Mcdonald should be solid enough at left back.

The external signings were always going to be the main issue. We are never going to make last year's players good just by going full time. We need several players of the same ability as Ryan apparently going from what has been said of him. If we don't achieve this I agree that things look bad. However, the picture is not yet complete and the Chairman must be given his chance.

Need to sign another centre half, really happy Stewart is staying I actually rate him a better player than cadden.

Yes just skip over the part where you conveniently forgot that yesterday you said there would be a big name signing announced today......and then subsequently got your ar*e handed to you

It's a bit obvious that coogans will sign, don't really rate him

I thought he was superb in the few appearances he made in his last spell with the club, he was always a threat. I'd be more than happy if he was added to the squad.

Regarding the other re-signings, no complaints from me. We didn't see much of Brown last season, but he seems highly regarded within the club and is only 20. I really rate both MacDonald and Stewart, who I'm sure will be capable of developing further with FT training and more game time.

As for Fitzy, as I said earlier in the thread, he's nowhere near as bad as is made out. He's clearly influential in the dressing room - you don't get selected every week and made captain by 3 different managers for no reason. People also seem to forget that he was pretty effective in the side that went on that amazing run at the end of the 2014/15 season - with the right players around him, he'll be a solid addition.

Archived