Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Blockley was a totally different player to Faria.   Blockley was a player I liked going forward,  great breaking into the box and getting on the end of a cross,  very brave.   But playing centre mid,  he just left the defence exposed time after time,  I was always driven mental with Boyle playing him in that position. 

Coogans can't be judged on what he did or didn't do away from us.   When he was here he was a very exciting prospect.  He can certainly finish,  great pace and movement.  I think he's still only 19y/o.   He was badly handled by the club,  we got an £80k bid for him when Boyle was in charge.  The club held out for more at that time.  He was devastated when Boyle was sacked,  he was not in the faction of players led by Hardie who had stopped playing for Boyle and lost his way a bit.   Bollan frustrated him by bringing in his old pal,  the utterly horrendous Parker, and eventually let him go for £20k to Huddersfield where he had a good time in their 19s/21s.  The boy himself didn't settle there and wanted home, eventually got his release in Jan.  He's had a frustrating season with a loan at QotS where they had 3 experienced strikers in front of him and then he joined Brechin in Feb as back up just to keep in training waiting on his move in the summer.   Brechin had experienced pair Thomson and Jackson in place too,  you can understand why he had to play 2nd fiddle.

I personally think he's a typical kid who made some poor choices in the past but if we want a striker with potential to score well in to double figures then he's the kind of player we should be after.   He needs to find a gig where he's wanted and has a chance to play every week.

He's the perfect example of a player with a very high ceiling that we can get on a good deal for us.   He'll still be an asset we can cash in on when we re-establish his value.

Just a though...

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Claiming Prunty is a 'star' is a highlight. A good club man and a good servant to the club, yes, but not a star.

Someone claiming he should be in the Hall of Fame was a personal favourite.

Is it official that O'Neil is away?

I know I'm in a minority here but I think Faria is an asset. He only has one function and it is to stop the opposition attack playing. Every team needs someone like that. Others in the team can do the passing and dribbling ( hopefully).

Some people keep statistics and I'm sure they will demonstrate an improvement in our defence with him playing.

He also spends a lot of time organising those around him.

I did on a previous thread Waysider.

Goals conceded  1.07 per game (1.59 without)

Goals scored       1.42 per game (1.4 without)

Points won           1.57 per game (1.23 without)

Statistically we were more efficient with him, we can demonstrate that having him there made us more sound.   Projected over a season we'd maybe have been good for a play off place.    But we're not scoring enough goals with him in there and that's where we will need to improve things.

To my mind, we could only afford him or Fitz in that 2 man centre midfield.  And the figures point to Hugo being the improvement.   The eyes suggest we need a different kind of player beside him, ie., one who can actually pass the ball. 

For me Hugo was best when he was sitting deeper,  trying to push him forwards (that period before he was dropped for a few weeks) utterly exposed him as a one dimensional player out of his depth trying to play him further forwards.   The reverting to 442 in the last 3 games helped him enormously,  mainly because we bypassed the midfield.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm basically in agreement with Touchedbymadness! The main problem we had was that Faria and Fitzpatrick were playing exactly the same type of game which left us light on the attacking front.

Blockley was a totally different player to Faria.   Blockley was a player I liked going forward,  great breaking into the box and getting on the end of a cross,  very brave.   But playing centre mid,  he just left the defence exposed time after time,  I was always driven mental with Boyle playing him in that position. 

Coogans can't be judged on what he did or didn't do away from us.   When he was here he was a very exciting prospect.  He can certainly finish,  great pace and movement.  I think he's still only 19y/o.   He was badly handled by the club,  we got an £80k bid for him when Boyle was in charge.  The club held out for more at that time.  He was devastated when Boyle was sacked,  he was not in the faction of players led by Hardie who had stopped playing for Boyle and lost his way a bit.   Bollan frustrated him by bringing in his old pal,  the utterly horrendous Parker, and eventually let him go for £20k to Huddersfield where he had a good time in their 19s/21s.  The boy himself didn't settle there and wanted home, eventually got his release in Jan.  He's had a frustrating season with a loan at QotS where they had 3 experienced strikers in front of him and then he joined Brechin in Feb as back up just to keep in training waiting on his move in the summer.   Brechin had experienced pair Thomson and Jackson in place too,  you can understand why he had to play 2nd fiddle.

I personally think he's a typical kid who made some poor choices in the past but if we want a striker with potential to score well in to double figures then he's the kind of player we should be after.   He needs to find a gig where he's wanted and has a chance to play every week.

He's the perfect example of a player with a very high ceiling that we can get on a good deal for us.   He'll still be an asset we can cash in on when we re-establish his value.

Just a though...

You don't need my approval but I think that was your best (and most constructive) post to date.  Good argument.

After Tom Wotherspoon made the announcement that the club was going full time then the transition from part time was never going to be as straightforward as some fans would like, especially when fans favourites and certain players hold down jobs outwith the football club.

After the result on Saturday and the tremendous backing from the travelling support this week will be in some respects disappointing for the fans when faced with the reality that the squad is changing and players are moving on. That is understandable but has to be put in the context of the club's plans and ambitions for the future with the excitement of offering talented young players the facilities at Ravenscraig.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'm basically in agreement with Touchedbymadness! The main problem we had was that Faria and Fitzpatrick were playing exactly the same type of game which left us light on the attacking front.

I'm not a bad guy really.   We got off on a bad foot.

You don't need my approval but I think that was your best (and most constructive) post to date.  Good argument.

I've lots of good arguments but it's hard to get them across when I've been stalked by a numpty or a troll for months on here,  it's brought out a bad / defensive side.  End of day my heart and soul is in Airdrie.  The few posters on here who know me personally know that I've stood and fought for our club in the darkest of times.

After Tom Wotherspoon made the announcement that the club was going full time then the transition from part time was never going to be as straightforward as some fans would like, especially when fans favourites and certain players hold down jobs outwith the football club.

After the result on Saturday and the tremendous backing from the travelling support this week will be in some respects disappointing for the fans when faced with the reality that the squad is changing and players are moving on. That is understandable but has to be put in the context of the club's plans and ambitions for the future with the excitement of offering talented young players the facilities at Ravenscraig.

Iain, just make sure there's talent, that's the main thing.  Ravenscraig essentially is fluff, it's all about putting bums on seats and getting up a league.   Do what you have to do, just do it good.   In 2002 Ian McCall had to put together a team quickly and it didn't take long for the fans to take to it.    You can't please everyone all of the time.

Blockley was a totally different player to Faria. Blockley was a player I liked going forward, great breaking into the box and getting on the end of a cross, very brave. But playing centre mid, he just left the defence exposed time after time, I was always driven mental with Boyle playing him in that position.

Coogans can't be judged on what he did or didn't do away from us. When he was here he was a very exciting prospect. He can certainly finish, great pace and movement. I think he's still only 19y/o. He was badly handled by the club, we got an £80k bid for him when Boyle was in charge. The club held out for more at that time. He was devastated when Boyle was sacked, he was not in the faction of players led by Hardie who had stopped playing for Boyle and lost his way a bit. Bollan frustrated him by bringing in his old pal, the utterly horrendous Parker, and eventually let him go for £20k to Huddersfield where he had a good time in their 19s/21s. The boy himself didn't settle there and wanted home, eventually got his release in Jan. He's had a frustrating season with a loan at QotS where they had 3 experienced strikers in front of him and then he joined Brechin in Feb as back up just to keep in training waiting on his move in the summer. Brechin had experienced pair Thomson and Jackson in place too, you can understand why he had to play 2nd fiddle.

I personally think he's a typical kid who made some poor choices in the past but if we want a striker with potential to score well in to double figures then he's the kind of player we should be after. He needs to find a gig where he's wanted and has a chance to play every week.

He's the perfect example of a player with a very high ceiling that we can get on a good deal for us. He'll still be an asset we can cash in on when we re-establish his value.

For once I actually agree with you. Thought Coogans was a superb talent at the time and would welcome him back. One of the few players at this level who was technically gifted.

Just a though...

No idea what happened there, on my phone. What I meant to say was:

For once I actually agree with you. Thought Coogans was a superb talent at the time and would welcome him back. One of the few players at this level who was technically gifted.

Also my thoughts regarding Faria is that when the team is doing well he will go unnoticed doing his job well.

However when we are playing badly Faria will always get picked out as being poor given the position he plays and the fact that he's not very glamorous.

I think he's not a bad player to have in your squad however not suited to matches against poorer opposition. Think he thrives playing against good opposition when we need to dig in.

Also my thoughts regarding Faria is that when the team is doing well he will go unnoticed doing his job well.

However when we are playing badly Faria will always get picked out as being poor given the position he plays and the fact that he's not very glamorous.

I think he's not a bad player to have in your squad however not suited to matches against poorer opposition. Think he thrives playing against good opposition when we need to dig in.

Couldn't agree more, he's an easy target if going wrong. One thing I have noticed though wether he's playing poorly or not he always looks for the ball.

No, Faria isnt really an ideal player and likely a poor waste of resources. I said above that he has had a positive impact on our defence but overall he's poor. He's a midfielder on a f/t deal and he can't pass a ball. I hope I'm wrong but the rest of the team needs to built around his deficiencies.

He's not alone in that though. Watt/blockley and others distribution was terrible but is we concede less with him in the team than without, he's effective in the role he is designed to to.

To me it's more about having players alongside who could make more of an impact in an attacking sense, leaving him to be the shield in front of the back 4. I don't think Fitzpatrick offers this and therefore they ain't an effective pairing.

He's not alone in that though. Watt/blockley and others distribution was terrible but is we concede less with him in the team than without, he's effective in the role he is designed to to.

To me it's more about having players alongside who could make more of an impact in an attacking sense, leaving him to be the shield in front of the back 4. I don't think Fitzpatrick offers this and therefore they ain't an effective pairing.

Hugo is good defensively. The problem we had was playing 2 denfensive midfielders didn't work even more so if our wide players were not playing well as then we had no creativity.

Any truth ally love has been offered a contract ?

Ability is nothing when there's no commitment

Equally useless is commitment without ability.

I'm shocked and appalled in equal measures that people are really coming on this forum to defend Hugo Faria. Unless he turned himself into Sergio Busquets during my self imposed exile, he remains an awful footballer, who can't pass, run or tackle and has contributed very little this season. The statistics quoted by TBM are fluff, taken from a miniscule sample size. 

The last I seen of 'Shuggie' was 30 minutes at Stranraer where he appeared to have enrolled in clown college.

C'mon lads, just because Iain King is on here doesn't mean the thread has to turn into happy clapper central. Like a typical journo, he dodges the tricky questions and only comes on to roll out the party line. Lets not fall into that obvious trap.

Questions should be asked about the likes of Faria and (if true) Lithgow. They're simply not good enough. 

Archived