Extreme Rules 2016

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some big bumps but otherwise fairly predictable. Going to be an interesting feud for the next few weeks leading up to MITB. Can see Styles dropping away to leave Rollins and Reigns then Styles winning MITB then cashing it in after an epic between Reigns and Styles at Summerslam.

A beautiful, beautiful way to finish the show with the return of Seth Rollins. God, it's good to see him back. What a pop!

Very decent programme on the whole. The four-way match for the Intercontinental Championship was brilliant fun, everyone put in a great shift, although it felt as though there was a wee step missing before the pin. The main event was tremendous, the Big Dawg stepping up with another four-star match. It could have done without the interference but great stuff on the whole.

The PPV was badly let down by the Ambrose Asylum match - it was beyond tedious and certainly didn't merit a thumbtack spot like that (which was pretty cool and looked really sore; fair play for Jericho for taking the bump) - and the women's match was pretty dull, but on the whole I thought it was good.

Absolutely pumped to be getting up for work in two hours.

Opening tag was not bad at all. Really awkward spot in the middle with Gallows and Anderson barely in the same book, nevermind on the same page, but other than that it was solid all action nonsense.

Rusev vs. Kallisto was dull as f**k. Which is par for the course for Rusev, as he's shite. I did like how they did their best to make him look invincible, but does that work for him anymore? Good spot with the slam on the apron too.

Enjoyable tag title match. I'm a fan of both teams. Lots of decent talent in there, and English is a guy who continues to make me want to see more of him.

The four way just kept going and going, and just kept on being amazing. Was exhausting to watch, in a good way. All four men looked great and good commentary putting over the IC title constantly helped too.

Credit for Jericho taking that bump, even if there's no need for such stupid shit, but that's about as positive as I can be for what could only be described as utter horseshit.

Women's title match was okay. Again, both of them are capable of much more than this, but it's good to see women's title matches that WWE actually give a shit about.

That was some effort in the main event. Both guys gave themselves and each other an absolute shoeing. The interference definitely took away for the most part, apart from the tremendous nearfall with Uso JUST saving Reigns. But credit to Reigns and Styles yet again who threw everything out there.

Really solid show.

My thoughts...

From reports, sounds like Enzo was backstage and may be healthy again for Raw tonight.  In that case, what was the point of just sending out Cass on the pre-show?  I thought they were setting it up for Enzo to make his comeback to a huge pop, but instead they look to be seriously building Cass on his own.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you're going to job out the Dudleyz, at least have two of them there.

The AskRusev part was enjoyable.  It's a shame they ruined the Lana and Rusev pair with that terrible storyline, because they're brilliant as the arrogant heel pair.  Lana's "Are you stupid?" comment was perfectly delivered.  I look forward to his four weeks of heel dominance before Jonathan Q Cena comes back and wins the title straight back in a flurry of patriotism.

Corbin vs Ziggler was decent as far as a no-dq match being restrained.  They didn't just throw spots in for a laugh, and in fact just had one single spot that would have been a DQ.  But it was the one that won him the match, so decent booking.  Just need to actually have him against someone that matters and Corbin might actually go somewhere.

The tag team titles match was enjoyable, but I can't help but feeling the New Day need a credible opponent that can go up against them in terms of promos.  It would be a shame for New Day to get to the level of exposure that sees them get boring and stale.  They're too good for that.  Plus Big E seems determined to push his mannerisms just far enough for PG.  What a man.

The Womens' Title match...meh.  They're definitely moving in the right direction, but every match is ending in some kind of shenanigans, rather than letting them fight to a finish.  They had the chance to really move on with a storyline and take it to the next stage with Charlotte finally doing it without mad Flair, but they blew it.  And now they've got another sidekick, which is...nice...I guess?

Jericho vs Ambrose...I'm not as negative as some seem to be on it, but it was very cumbersome at points.  It seemed very slow, like they knew they had to get through all the weapons before a finish.  I liked the thumb tack spot, but probably because I was pretty sure they'd swerve out of it like they have before.  It was definitely a shock to see a spot like that in 2016, and it was a fitting end to the match.  But, the rest of the match made that spot just look out of place, just like the spot made the rest of the match worse.  It was better than their last one, and the pieces were all there, but they just didn't put them together right. 

The main event.  I'm not a fan of Reigns, although not to the vociferous degree most seem to hate him.  But I can totally appreciate that he has gotten a lot better now they seem to have taken the face shackles off of him.  How many promos has he done since his Wrestlemania win?  He's definitely done some, but they're a lot shorter and more basic, just him saying different variations of how he's going to kick the shit out of people, then getting on with it.  Of course, it helps to have someone like Styles opposite you, because he is absolute gold.  Reigns looked every inch the monster he was in the Shield, and both knocked the absolute shit out of each other.  But then it all went wrong.  Da Club run in, and then Da Bloodlahn, and suddenly it's just another cookie cutter match between the six of them.  Styles almost saved it by going crazy with the chair at the end, but it's just all so predictable.  Get a run-in, have them beat down one side.  Have another run-in, even the odds.  Both run-ins take each other out.  And finish.  I did like the finish, decent spear, and to be honest Reigns was never going to lose, but when the run-ins weren't involved, there were a few good near-falls.  That's how you make a predictable match a good watch, have moments where you truly believe that he might do it.

And then the final minutes.  To be honest, for a split second I thought we had long-haired Punk back.  I'd seen a thumbnail for one of those terrible youtube videos saying that Punk is coming back, and the close camera angle just saw a flash of long hair attacking.  Not sure why, but had a split-second thinking it was him.  But then the pedigree, and there's Rollins the beautiful b*****d.  A great ending to the show, even though it probably means Styles is out of the main event now (or could there be a number-one contender match between Styles and Rollins?  Ooft).  One question around Rollins though, or more a comment.  We're going to see whether or not WWE have learned their lesson tonight, or at least over the next few weeks.  If Rollins comes in and resumes his role as the heel and they try to re-paint Reigns as the face, then they've learned nothing, and they're in for the complete opposite.  If they keep Reigns as the tweener/heel, and then place Rollins somewhere between tweener and face, then I'll be delighted.  A Seth Rollins with a liberated face moveset, not booked like the whiny heel against the monster Reigns will be brilliant.  Also makes it more likely that Ambrose wins the briefcase at Money in the Bank, setting up a potential triple threat for Summerslam.

Guest bernardblack

They're ruining Charlotte. She should be running through the women's division and then when someone finally beats her, it would be a big deal

pretty decent, tornado tag was ok, us title match was a bit of a drag but RIP Kalisto, the IC title match was outstanding so many near falls :lol:, asylum match was pish let's never see this again, the womens match was alright but why give Charlotte so much build up and time if you're never going to let her get a clean win?, Main event was good just ruined by the typical super reigns finish actually thought for a split second when styles went mental with the chair he was going to do it. Rollins return is great outstanding pop. Roll on MITB.

Yeh I kinda figured the asylum match would be gash, even with the tacks spot. 4 way match was outstanding and I also thought styles had it won with the styles clash on the chair

Archived