CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Linton for me is the prize here, great news.

However still think the likes of Gormley,Marsh and Gibson are good squad players and worth signing up.

Sign up the likes of Smith, Millen and and another 2 or 3. and we should have a squad to mount a title challenge. 

Definite priority is a striker though, Higgins is not the answer.

Delighted Linton and Marsh are both staying.

Not convinced on Gibson although, he did put in some great performances at the end of the season. He even came off his line and took several crosses very well, which he had been avoiding earlier in the season. On the other hand, two moments against Elgin still haunt me: one in the playoff where he inexplicably let the ball roll under him and across the goals; the other in the 4-2 game earlier this season, when he gave away one of the most idiotic penalties I’ve ever seen.

My other concern is that Gibson is not very vocal. Assuming Marko’s going to be playing far fewer games this year, do we have anyone at the back who will organise things? Smith is a great player but focuses on doing his own thing. Is McNiff that type of player?

I’m happier with Higgins signing, than Gormley. I think like many others, the main concern is re-signing not one but, two strikers who didn't provided enough goals this season. Ferguson changed formations and styles of play so many times this season, and still didn’t manage to get the best out of them often enough.

Next targets have to be keeping Smith and Gemmell, if at all possible.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

JS agree that the penalty given away by Gibson was bizarre. However I do not agree with you about the second incident. If you look at the highlights MArko decides to leave the ball at the last minute giving Gibson no time to react.At the level we are playing at Gibson is better than most goalies we will come up against .

Happy enough with all the re-signings.

Gormley's work rate can't be faulted and you've got to imagine his touch will improve over time. We've got to get a lot more from Higgins though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put last season's frequent poor performances down to injuries and not attitude and hope that's the case.

Don't share a lot of peoples' delight at all the new signings getting two year contracts. Great if they turn out well but not wonderfull if we've got a few more Brisbanes on our hands. Time will tell

Fair enough "inexplicabe" was probably the wrong choice of words, as Marko did leave the ball though, I'd disagree that Gibson didn't have time to react. For me, Gibson is about average at this level - better than some but not most.

Happy enough with all the re-signings.

Gormley's work rate can't be faulted and you've got to imagine his touch will improve over time. We've got to get a lot more from Higgins though. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and put last season's frequent poor performances down to injuries and not attitude and hope that's the case.

Don't share a lot of peoples' delight at all the new signings getting two year contracts. Great if they turn out well but not wonderfull if we've got a few more Brisbanes on our hands. Time will tell

Think you have to look at some form of continuity. After the season finished, there were plenty of assumptions, but only 1 player on our books and that was Fergie. Bearing in mind it's just the new players that I see have two year deals, and most of the fans from the teams we have signed from will tell you they are decent signings, that may have been attracting interest elsewhere then perhaps two year deals was the only way to make sure they joined us?

I don't know for sure, but as I said it would only mean 6 players carried over to next season as it stands, and I'd rather have that than re-assembling a whole squad.

I’m happier with Higgins signing, than Gormley. I think like many others, the main concern is re-signing not one but, two strikers who didn't provided enough goals this season.

I agree mostly. There have been many posts saying that Gormley had the highest number of assists. That may be true but how many attacks have broken down with his lack of control or him falling over?

As for Higgins, I have no idea why he was resigned. I could count the number of good games he played last year on one hand. His "good performances" were not actually good but slightly better than his usual invisibility.

I think Gibson improved towards the end of the season but is always liable to make a mistake. However, that may be the case for all goalkeepers at this level.

It's also good that Barry has realised that he was wrong and you do need a creator in midfield as we struggled to break down stubborn defences last season as shown by some of our home performances.

Edited by haufdaft

Very pleased Linton is signed on. Higgins I grew more to like in the second half of the season and Gormley is hit and miss for me. He's shown glimpses of being a goal scorer but you can't argue his ability to hold up the ball. But please Gormley for the love of God, stay on your feet!!

Gibson, well if there is nothing better than he'll do. He was excellent in the playoffs but throughout the season has shown what a calamity he can be.

Glad the 5 new boys are on two year deals. Encouraging that we are offering more than one season deals to players.

Will be interesting to see who else he brings in and pleasing he's getting his business done quick with the sections not exactly far away this year.

Crucial point for me in terms of Gormley is the quality of service that we will have this season. From the wide areas the likes of Linton, Lowdon, McNeil and Ferguson should be of adequate quality to get goals from and I expect a much better goal return if he is to be a starter.

If we can get the Beast fit and in decent form then we could maybe get away without signing another goalscorer. I fear though if neither of the three strikers we have don't come into much goal scoring form then we could have the exact same issues we had this season. I'm in two minds about Higgins although he did show a bit of form when the team as a whole were on a good run towards the seasons end. He was unfortunate getting an injury at the start of the season when he scored his first goals for the club.

Heard Gemmell wanting a move to EK, Nae ambition that laf,Just after the coin perhaps....All the best and good luck playing in front o two men and a dug

Strange post from the guy who was almost in love with Gemmill last season lol.

Get the Big man signed along with these other it is taking shape nicely. Also we need a nippy wee striker up top with JG imo.

Like his passion and interaction with fans (although don't know where that fight and passion was at Hampden on last game.... Odd)

WAC

Edited by We Are Clyde