CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Our response to Marsh leaving shouldn't be resigned well-wishing bundled up with rationalisations of his usefulness ("the minute we started to split the centre halves more under BF [Marsh] struggled"), it should be indignation. Marsh is at least as good a centre-half as McNiff, whose ability Annan supporters are right to rate as, at best, somewhere just above average. More to the point, Marsh was and still would be outstandingly superior to Oliver or McNeil at centre-half. My god: I can't believe I read that ("I'd stick with what we have now"); have you been going to the games, David? We've conceded 13 in 8! Emphasise the systemic differences driven by Ferguson all you like. Those differences are obvious and everything written here about the drawbacks of slower, no-frills centre haves is manifestly correct. None of which changes the fact that mildly experienced sub-six-footers don't pass muster in the middle of a league two back-line. In Marsh we had something quite rare: a tall, not-too-slow, experienced centre-half, with a wee bit of skill to his game. And we thought it better to play who over these past two months: Ewan McNeil? Michael Oliver? f**k me. The folly couldn't be more rudimentary on Ferguson's part. Watch the highlights of the goals we've shipped - Marsh would've emptied some of those out without even jumping. Templeman's sickeningly easy goal for Montrose a few weeks back, for example. He could've been five-foot nothing and still have scored it. You've got to laugh mind. Barry giving it the rage-monster routine after Annan and our defensive showing genuinely expecting a response from the defence he put out at the weekend. Risible, risible stuff.

There's a power of fiction written on this thread about McQueen and Marsh. To read through it all you'd think we were streets ahead of where we were when their partnership ended. We're ploughing the same fields. Alright, we've made a decision to play a different way now. It is not a decision which involves us in tolerating diddies at the back. More fool us if we think we're in the throes of karma ('get a good midfield, loose a good defence'). We'd be twice the team we are just now with Marsh and McQueen behind McLaughlin; his protection would mitigate much of what some who've written here claim in their rationalisations to have been - maybe's aye, maybe's naw - worried about.

Of course, the other piss you off thing about Marsh leaving is the way we've treated him. Once a decent centre half, then a utility man; used variously as a full-back, wide-right and centre-mid, but only ever enjoying any 'alternative' success in the latter position. A bit like McQueen 'the striker'. We've a terrible record of creating utility men out of well established in-one-position players. It needs to stop. Need a player? Sign a player. We're two or three short of even getting close to Forfar. God help us if Peaso or Easton do themselves an injury.

See its official Marsh has left going by the quotes from BF not exactly glowing in his praise
Didn't suite our style of play this season why resign him then looks to me there might have been a fall out
Anyway as said best for both to part ways

You can't knock Ferguson for his honesty with those comments, though I still think it's stupid to get rid of a capable, versatile player.

But why do we never finish that type of article something like "The club would like to thank David for his services and wish him the best in the future".

For a local guy, who was popular with the fans, and played over 100 games surely that's what you would expect a club to say. Similar thing when Marko left.