Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Remember when Louis Laing played in midfield against Celtic?  What a fucking laugh that was.

Or Stevie Hammell in the 2011 SCF? Us trying to turn defenders into midfielders has a habit of ending badly.

On today's transfer business I'm happy that we have added a defender with pace, or so we're told, to the side as we certainly need it. It's worrying though that that appears to be the last transfer IN business that we are going to do this window, as a wide player or two wouldnt have been unwelcome. 

25 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Putting a ball playing defender in midfield is the ultimate shout from yer auld da.

Nah, nothing will ever beat "GET THE BAW IN THE BLOODY BOAX" for me.  Generally bellowed when a wide man has the ball on the halfway line and there's actually nobody in the box.  

Stephen Robinson warning Hibs off bidding for Cadden as "we don't need the cash,"  Daily Mail print edition, according to BBC football gossip. 

I don't agree.  We're still in debt, and we have adequate midfielders, including Turnbull who we all reckon can step up. Even at that, a decent fee now would give us a chance to bring in a replacement before Aug 31.  And if he joins a club next summer, while the expected £600,000 development fee is handy ( assuming anyone will pay it ) we would lose out on a sell-on fee. 

£800,000 plus sell-on? See you later, Chris. 

Edited by WellView

Interesting article and assessment of our two youngsters in The Scotsman yesterday 

Motherwell will be looking at Chris Cadden and Allan Campbell with CEO Alan Burrows and the club’s board seeing money signs flashing in front of their eyes. Cadden is a player who a similar physical build to McGinn and the power which comes with it. Arguably his best position is as a No.8 but his progress has not been as upwardly as some would expect, having been shifted around the pitch, from wing-back to a No.10. He has yet to demonstrate he has the relevant technical ability and consistency to match McGinn but would certainly be an interesting player to develop.

The Steelmen’s main asset is Campbell. Diminutive, combative, tenacious and a good football player to boot. The 20-year-old’s ‘dirty work’ for Scotland’s U21s was praised at the Toulon Tournament earlier in the summer. It may be his no nonsense approach to midfield battles which makes him stand-out but he is a much better footballer than many think.

He is far from the finished article but a player who could be shaped into a player in the John McGinn mould. In a 2-2 draw with Rangers last season he displayed his attacking instincts and ability to perform a box-to-box role with and without the ball.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/how-can-hibs-replace-a-player-like-john-mcginn-1-4781936

According the bbc it’s Campbell he has warned them off of.

We have no idea if anyone has shown interest in Cadden, all we know is there has been nothing public.

If hibs want to go a million, fine go for it but no matter who signs him next year we are due a hefty training fee.

Some folk don’t rate him, fine but right now we know what we get from him. We hope Turnbull can be the next one but Robinson hasn’t gave him a run of games for a reason.

12 minutes ago, steelmen said:

According the bbc it’s Campbell he has warned them off of.

We have no idea if anyone has shown interest in Cadden, all we know is there has been nothing public.

If hibs want to go a million, fine go for it but no matter who signs him next year we are due a hefty training fee.

Some folk don’t rate him, fine but right now we know what we get from him. We hope Turnbull can be the next one but Robinson hasn’t gave him a run of games for a reason.

My mistake, you are correct. 

Bigi starting today - hope it goes well. 

Two games in, no goals scored, four conceded and a defeat to an absolutely dreadful Accies side. Add to that our League Cup group.stages weren't exactly encouraging and we have done nothing to address the fact that the team has zero creativity. And we sign Connor fucking Sammon!

It might only be mid August but the signs are not good and relegation really IS a distinct possibility this season.

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

So here's a thing: today's a final trial run of a live streaming service that's due to launch. Available to *cough* "international" fans outside the UK.

On a totally unrelated note, I'd like to announce the formation of the VPN Motherwell supporters club.

Worrying that after 1 league game we’ve already reverted back to Cadden/Tait both playing out of position at wing back. Yesterday’s team had only 1 ‘new’ summer signing in it and as much as I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, he was probably the worst of a very bad bunch. 

I might well be proved wrong in time but I’ve said all summer I thought the whole improving 12-18 thing was a mistake and I genuinely think this summer will go down as a missed opportunity. We should have been looking to kick on and build on last season, if anything we actually look like we’ve regressed.

The thing that stuck out most for me yesterday was just the sheer lack of quality in that team- especially in the final third. No Moult to rescue us this season, no McDonald, no Johnson not even an Ainsworth. Just a team full of workers who could have played all day and not broken down an Accies side that had only picked up 10 points in 2018 before yesterday. 

Looking at us middle to front, you struggle to see where the goals are going to come from this season. Even defensively we look all over the shop and without Dunne(and Kipre) the back 3 looks very vulnerable to any sort of pace down the outside.

What a difference walking out the ground yesterday, compared to the feel good factor there was about the place after our last league game at Fir Park in May.

Edited by Casagolda

I absolutely detest the way everyone within the club uses the word battle like it's a positive thing, and we're all supposed to go YAAAASSSSSSSS!!

It's fine if you get something from it, but we've turned into that guy that thinks he's hard despite repeatedly getting a shoeing in a regular basis. Even interviews are getting embarrassing.