Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Lamie's crab shuffle & inefectual wee push (rather than making any attempt to win the ball or block the cross) for the 2nd goal conceded is a really bad habit he's had since his time at Livi. I've seen that specific move a couple of times and in general he's far too quick to put his arms out and unbalance himself in situations where he should be paying attention to the ball. Matches his psuedo hard man persona, two footed tackles and all, when he gets frustrated.

It's the sort of thing that you'd expect would have been coached out of a 30 year-old long since. Mugabi has never been great, but at least you could chart some small improvements in his play and defensive awareness in the seasons since he signed as an emergency backup, while Lamie seems to have regressed in the last 2 seasons.

Edited by For Your Pies Only

39 minutes ago, CoF said:

Kinda mad that we were all kinda fine with him then chucking the pre-contract to stay. Goes to show that there was a point in time when he was generally viewed as decent. 

I do think there was a bit of a split in the support when that happened. Recall a lot of people saying it was the ideal time to part company. Can't argue that he had a purple patch towards the end of that season under Alexander, but overall I think he's been a pretty awful signing.  Really didn't understand the desire to keep him, especially after he had pretty much demonstrated his desire to leave. 

1 minute ago, MurrayWell said:

I do think there was a bit of a split in the support when that happened. Recall a lot of people saying it was the ideal time to part company. Can't argue that he had a purple patch towards the end of that season under Alexander, but overall I think he's been a pretty awful signing.  Really didn't understand the desire to keep him, especially after he had pretty much demonstrated his desire to leave. 

We were fucking rubbish after he signed the pre-contract then he scored a couple of goals that kicked off the Sligo Rovers incident so we gave him a new contract and made him vice captain. I swear the calendar year of 2022 for us was beyond cursed. 

15 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

At the time, my view on it was that he was our best centre-back in the 2021/22 season. 

Ojala was good to begin with, but his lack of mobility saw him useless post January, Big Sol did his best work in claret & amber on a megaphone and Mugabi was, well Mugabi.

However, I didn't want us to sign him on a new deal based on the fact that the other three were already in contract and keeping him on was an admission that we weren't going to improve a central defence that conceded the 2nd most goals in the league despite finishing 5th.

In fairness to Lamie, he was brutal under Robinson, not much better under Hammell and on evidence of his one start under Kettlewell, hasn't got off to a flyer, but he rarely, if ever, let us down under Alexander.

13 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

In fairness to Lamie, he was brutal under Robinson, not much better under Hammell and on evidence of his one start under Kettlewell, hasn't got off to a flyer, but he rarely, if ever, let us down under Alexander.

Aye, as I said, he was fine during his purple patch under Alexander. My "shambles of a player" comment was probably more in frustration at another shitshow from him last night, but overall he's really not been good. He's not been alone mind you, Kettlewell has been given a bloated squad lacking in quality, looks like he's doing everything he can to sort it though. 

There's a caveat to this in that, it's different if we're talking about a defender who's invaluable in the opposition box and is chipping in with 8/9/10 goals a season getting on the end of corners, but generally speaking, offering a defender a contract off the back of goals is madness. It was Craig Reid all over again.

I appreciate the 2 goals in particular were key at a particular time (or fairly counter-productive in hindsight, depending on your view), but offering a defender a contact has one pre-requisite skill for me, and thats...y'know...defending.

34 minutes ago, Al B said:

There's a caveat to this in that, it's different if we're talking about a defender who's invaluable in the opposition box and is chipping in with 8/9/10 goals a season getting on the end of corners, but generally speaking, offering a defender a contract off the back of goals is madness. It was Craig Reid all over again.

I appreciate the 2 goals in particular were key at a particular time (or fairly counter-productive in hindsight, depending on your view), but offering a defender a contact has one pre-requisite skill for me, and thats...y'know...defending.

Splitting hairs here but it's not like we changed our minds based on those goals. We wanted him to stay, offered what we could and were rebuffed. If Dundee had stayed up, Lamie would have been at Dens, it was just fate elsewhere that saw him end up extending after all.

Anyway, came up in the car yesterday that while signing duds always happens, Alexander renewed Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley and Carroll. Quite the set for a defence-first manager...

15 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Splitting hairs here but it's not like we changed our minds based on those goals. We wanted him to stay, offered what we could and were rebuffed. If Dundee had stayed up, Lamie would have been at Dens, it was just fate elsewhere that saw him end up extending after all.

Anyway, came up in the car yesterday that while signing duds always happens, Alexander renewed Lamie, Mugabi, McGinley and Carroll. Quite the set for a defence-first manager...

Aye I'd forgotten we'd actively been trying to get him to stay, pre-Dundee interest, pre-goals, and pre-his very short spell of not actually being fully awful. Madness.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I actually thought Alexander in general did an OK job, but tbh that kinda puts it all into perspective. Renewing 1 or 2 would have been a travesty but all 4…..

GIF by Steve Harvey TV