Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We're literally replacing 2 of the board and the CEO, and adding to the board as well, so good timing I guess.

That doesn't change that the January transfer window is a sellers market and clubs like ours are going to get hosed.

I am far from a crowd w****r,  but only 1100 at the game tonight. Ffs. That’s pretty down right embarrassing. Surely a combo from Dundee Utd, Raith, Partick, Dunfermline would provide so much more to the league. Get them both down and two of the others up. 

1 hour ago, EK2DK said:

Despite fortuitous results elsewhere, It’s hugely concerning that our premiership survival is coming down to the dying embers of a transfer window.

I’m absolutely baffled how we have managed to go from having Wilkinson (who was signed as a starter), Obika, Beireth, Bair (who was a 4th choice striker) and Shaw, to now looking like we will run with Bair and maybe, maybe 1 other. It’s absolutely abysmal.
Wilkinson and Shaw might have been pish and Obika permanently injured but those are the players we handed contracts to. 

On a basic arithmetic level, we’ve lost Spencer, beireth, souare, Wilkinson and Shaw this window. We’ve brought in Halliday, Nicholson, Montgomery and Elliot when at the start of the window, we wanted to run with what we had + 2 according to kettlewell.
On a basic levels, that means we’re short of 3 players - at least 2 forwards within that and are staring at a summer with 5 players under contract, a manager out of contract, no ceo and and interim ceo and chairman that are trying to punt to the club whilst making for the exit in circumstances that are pretty dire. 

It's a sickening state of affairs, especially for a fan owned club. From top to bottom, we need a massive, massive reset and huge changes in board and football structure.

It is certainly very difficult to not agree regarding the squad size and transfer situation as it stands right now.

With Derek Weir in charge it is has been widely acknowledged and reported that the budget has been reduced substantially. For the most part it sounded like an absolute necessity to ensure we don’t have a £million + loss 3 years in a row.

However it seems other teams like Dundee, St Mirren and to an extent Killie have yet to catch up. Killie slightly different with Bowie in charge. But these teams are outbidding us and adding shrewdly to their squad where we seem to be scrambling about in the bargain bins.

Edit to add. I posted earlier this week about squad sizes and how ours was by far the smallest. Just looked at Dundee. They have brought 4 or 5 players in this window with 1 out. 28 players. We have 21 as of today. That includes Slattery and Montgomery both of whom are crocked (probably) long term. That is a team we would see as a peer. 

The squad was wafer thin before we cut loose 7 players this window. We seem quite adept at getting rid and less skilled at bringing players in. I fundamentally accept that the former is easier than the latter. But it does seem an avoidable situation. Of course there could be many explanations as to why we are where we are. But again it does feel as if we should be much better placed with only 2 days of the window left to go. 

It may well turn out OK and we add 3 or 4 solid signings. But if we do only manage a couple in and only one is a forward then the Board are taking a huge risk. We will likely get more injuries and we have barely enough cover as it is. 

Absolutely crucial 48 hours coming up ✍️🙏✍️.

Edited by welldaft

Seen a bit of the tide has turned on social media against a Mr Burrows already at Aberdeen…… 

‘Glorified social media boy’

’Only comments when we win’

’looks well out his depth’

He had it relatively easy with us, can’t imagine it will be as simple for him up there if things keep going sour….

11 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Seen a bit of the tide has turned on social media against a Mr Burrows already at Aberdeen…… 

‘Glorified social media boy’

’Only comments when we win’

’looks well out his depth’

He had it relatively easy with us, can’t imagine it will be as simple for him up there if things keep going sour….

That was the comments every week when he was here too. It's the downside of putting yourself out there and being open, looks good when things are going well, but you're right there in the firing line when things go tits up.

7 hours ago, rowsdower said:

That was the comments every week when he was here too. It's the downside of putting yourself out there and being open, looks good when things are going well, but you're right there in the firing line when things go tits up.

Fans everywhere continually judge everything on the short-term results of the first team. Whether that's fair or not is another matter but I'm sure AB more than used to it by now. I bet in quiet moments he's also looking at Barry Robson and muttering 'fucking knew it' at regular intervals.

15 minutes ago, Marinello said:

A possible signing could be Brophy at Ross County.

Injury prone!!

Is this just a suggestion or a rumour that you've heard?

Brophy was someone I thought about last night when I noticed he hadn't made it off the bench for County. A quick look at Transfermarkt shows he's only made it off the bench twice (combined total of about 40mins) for them since early November.

He's not a player I'm that fond of, mainly due to his tendency to take absolutely wild shots from distance and never score, but I guess in terms of playing style - mobile, strong runner, fairly quick - he's like a Aldi version of Biereth...maybe?

I think I'm getting desperate when I'm considering a guy that can't get a game for Ross County might not be a terrible option. I suppose it'd have to be a permanent deal though with us having Halliday and Montgomery (at the moment) on loan from other Premiership clubs. 

If we sign anyone with that sort of injury record after what we've been through the last couple of years, it won't be folk hanging about the main entrance to take blurry photos that they'll need to worry about.

I like Brophy as a player tbh. When we're signing players from our league then a guy who has scored for Accies, Killie, St Mirren and Ross County is probably about our level. In that sense I'd prefer him over a random EFL loanee.

The injury thing makes it an absolutely fucking wild risk in our situation. Maybe that's where we are though. 

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I like Brophy as a player tbh. When we're signing players from our league then a guy who has scored for Accies, Killie, St Mirren and Ross County is probably about our level. In that sense I'd prefer him over a random EFL loanee.

The injury thing makes it an absolutely fucking wild risk in our situation. Maybe that's where we are though. 

Cannot be true.  I know we don't have deep pockets or any pockets apparently. But if we sign another injury prone player especially up front the game is a bogey.