Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

Losing to Celtic is to be expected. Losing after being a goal up at half time isn't even that surprising. But having a point at 90 minutes but still contriving to lose by 2 fucking goals sums this mob up. 

The last goal we had half the team in front of the ball, losing 1-2 or 1-3 is totally irrelevant.

Agree I wouldn't have made the same subs but Celtic had already missed at least two 100%ers by injury time...it was more than coming.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

None of the back five finished the game in the position they started.

If Casey had to come off (I know he took a knock but he came off moving freely) then bring Blaney on and it's a straight swap, no disruption needed.

Did both full backs really need to come off?

Did Miller really have to come off? If he did, obviously not having Halliday or Paton fit threw a spanner in the works. I know I've laboured the point about using Spittal in a place we get the best out of him, but surely moving him back made more sense than sticking Nicholson back?

I think we've made 5 subs today because we could, not because we needed to.

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Those interested so far have made it clear this is a business venture for them, if they take a hit of X in any season they will want it back later. As much as selling the assets and closing us down is ultimately a possibility, to be realistic it is also highly unlikely - what's more probable is a bored owner starts taking cash out the club to recover their investment and leaves us floundering playing wise. which is arguably where we are now. Which brings us back to the question of why we're doing this...

I appreciate that. My scenario is one we are unlikely to see unless I or any other Motherwell fan wins the lottery. 

I have said it before and will say it again. Anyone who can make a consistent ROI on Motherwell FC is something of a miracle worker or magician or both. Not saying it cannot be done but highly unlikely imho. What will likely happen is that there will be an initial interest and positive effect before reality bites.

Probably the same as with any Well Society proposal. Per annum deposits of £155k could be boosted to £500k. 3600 members and if everyone gave on average £10 more per month. That seems infinitely more achievable especially as many like myself don’t contribute monthly for the time being. The problem is in years 2 or 3 when the initial enthusiasm dies down and / or the Well Society don’t follow up on promises made exactly like what happened before.

Certainly interesting times.  

6 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think we've made 5 subs today because we could, not because we needed to.

Maybe we did, maybe we didn't... we were clearly dying on our arse having defended almost without respite for 45 minutes. If we don't make the change and concede there would be the same questions for leaving on knackered players. It's one of these losses where as much as it might be entertaining to debate the details, I shrug and say it's simply the question of of their many millions v our few millions. As much as the defence comes under scrutiny in the second half, a better attack would have scored more in the first... I'm much more concerned about taking the same attitude and performance to Livingston and winning that.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm much more concerned about taking the same attitude and performance to Livingston and winning that.

This is very, very true. A game against either of the Bigot Brothers is usually regarded as a "free hit" but they were there for the taking today in the first half.

6 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Maybe we did, maybe we didn't... we were clearly dying on our arse having defended almost without respite for 45 minutes. If we don't make the change and concede there would be the same questions for leaving on knackered players. It's one of these losses where as much as it might be entertaining to debate the details, I shrug and say it's simply the question of of their many millions v our few millions. As much as the defence comes under scrutiny in the second half, a better attack would have scored more in the first... I'm much more concerned about taking the same attitude and performance to Livingston and winning that.

Completely agree. Players were knackered. 

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The problem is in years 2 or 3 when the initial enthusiasm dies down and / or the Well Society don’t follow up on promises made exactly like what happened before.

Fair and not directed at you in particular but in general: the Society can promise very little. It can say we don't need to outsource our future but that's basically it...the rest comes down to a clutch of marginal decisions based on instinct and luck along with even narrower decided outcomes on the pitch.

My worry about fan ownership has never been money, it's about the supply of qualified, talented people...lots of folk need to understand that the governance and organisation behind this could work perfectly while we head to the Championship. That's sport.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Fair and not directed at you in particular but in general: the Society can promise very little. It can say we don't need to outsource our future but that's basically it...the rest comes down to a clutch of marginal decisions based on instinct and luck along with even narrower decided outcomes on the pitch.

My worry about fan ownership has never been money, it's about the supply of qualified, talented people...lots of folk need to understand that the governance and organisation behind this could work perfectly while we head to the Championship. That's sport.

Perhaps the target should be "smaller" investors who don't want to take over but simply get involved. Too many clubs have sold their souls to a one-person investment and suffered.