Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

What's it called when you score more goals than the opponent again? I forget.

Anyway, delighted with a win today. Trying to sneak a look at my phone when I can at work has been torture at the best of times, but today was worse in a way. Hopefully we will get a wee bounce off of this win going into the next few games.

As others have said, it was a "must win" game (regardless of whether Kettlewell tried to play it down or not) we won by 2 goals so it feels a bit churlish to nit-pick. Take the W and move on.

That said, it's really about what he does from here, hopefully with the monkey off his/the team's back and the knowledge that the win gets him to January everyone involved can take a breath and see what we can get in the door during the window.

Anyway, on the point of daft team selections and Ketts tying himself in knots here's our form since Gorgeous Georgie Gent and Davor began starting.

Screenshot2023-12-30at20_12_37.thumb.png.8e2c7b6fe69450853efde897cc5bb98b.png

17 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Anyway, on the point of daft team selections and Ketts tying himself in knots here's our form since Gorgeous Georgie Gent and Davor began starting.

A trait I've always hated in managers is where they don't play guys that the support are shouting for - it's always been petty and it feels like that with both of these players. Danzaki was a textbook example of someone that (a) hadn't settled and (b) was clearly a mile out his depth and the fact that he wasn't playing (in a winning team) was perfectly understandable - Gent and Davor are clearly not that and from the outside it looks like they've been treated badly.

Talking of midfielders - it definitely feels like Wilkinson is getting the Big Hint just as the window opens - he could easily have replaced Shaw or Biereth today but was nowhere to be seen.

Great win. Yes our performance after 35 minutes was bang average and a better side would have taken advantage.

But I am not having this we were lucky today. Comments about still sacking Ketts are wide of the mark and utterly fucking churlish. 

Right now our goal is to finish 10th. Bair second goal was utterly mesmerising. Kudos to him.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did not know Shaw was actually on the pitch after 45 minutes and I am at the bloody game. What the F has Wilkinson done to be behind him ? Must b injured ! 

Edited by welldaft

I really don't get how some on the match thread are bent out of shape about the second half performance. We scored three goals, had another disallowed, as well as two or three other good chances before half time. Instances of us having a first half like that and continuing to play with such fluency in the second half must be few and far between. Today was about finding a way to win a game, having not done so for so long, and we did it. 

It'll be interesting what happens now. Kettlewell has only really had one long good run and one long bad run as manager. I wonder if this will kick off a good run of form, whether we'll revert to the form that we were in or whether we'll finally see us win, draw and lose games in a more equal proportion.

On 26/12/2023 at 13:17, ropy said:

Mere speculation but I wonder if Wilkinson reckons that things haven’t worked out the way he wanted to and has a move back down south lined up.  Kettlewell has proved adept at moving players on.  Is that why he hasn’t even featured off the bench the past 2 games?

This would create space in the squad for another striker, why not a promising U23 from, say, Spurs.

Mere speculation.

Is the chat about Wilkinson leaving a bit of ITK or is it from my speculation?  If so I will also take the Spurs striker that I made up.

23 minutes ago, ropy said:

Is the chat about Wilkinson leaving a bit of ITK or is it from my speculation?  If so I will also take the Spurs striker that I made up.

Was just a bit of the chat around us at the game today mate, maybe someone reading your posts or knows more than we do. 

Would make sense though, he's fell out of the team completely and doesn't really looked to have settled. Kettlewell also mentioned we have scope for one or two new players and possibly more if anyone moves on, so perhaps it's an opportunity to get a relatively high earner off the wage bill. Suppose it might just be folk putting two and two together. 

2 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

Fair bit of chat today that Wilkinson will be heading in January. 

Was told today from someone there was a deal agreed yesterday for Wilkinson. Dunno what that means or what it involves. Also that Shaw may be leaving too.

16 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Was told today from someone there was a deal agreed yesterday for Wilkinson. Dunno what that means or what it involves. Also that Shaw may be leaving too.

Getting rid of Shaw would be a real bonus,only heard the Wilkinson story. Not clear whether on loan or permanent but hard not to think cutting losses there a good idea.