Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

44 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, it's far easier to get your head round when you remove the injured players and you work on the assumption that the likes of Ferrie and Wells will be getting Development loans (tbf, Kettlewell has as good as said that's happening albeit he hasn't named names).

lineup.png.08fc56b6058019d5ac867e04c9a3f3f5.png

Injured:

• Blaney
  • Koutroumbis
  • Slattery
  • Paton
  • Callachan
  • Stamatelopolous
  • Nicholson

If I was being greedy I'd still take another #9 as an alternative to Robinson and a centre mid to offer some cover there.

So assuming there’s no outgoings (aside from Wells or Ferrie) that’s a first team squad of 27 plus say Ryan Jack/ AN Other midfielder would be 28. I think that is about right considering the number of injuries we have.

19 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

See, I'd sort of assumed this was what Watt was earmarked for but in both his sub appearances he's definitely been used as one of those wide forwards/dual #10s. That's obviously where he's tended to play throughout his career (except under Alexander) and done absolutely fine but given the job Kettlewell did with KVV/Mika/Bair and the best spell of Watt's career coming as Motherwell's main striker I'd hoped we'd at least try it in the period that Stamatapolous is out.

I mean, that’s absolutely fair but was Watt’s tear not playing off the left in Grezza’s 433 with KVV as the #9?

Don’t get me wrong I’m not expecting another forward as it seems Kouassi (who I liked the sound of) is heading to Salford.

2 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

So assuming there’s no outgoings (aside from Wells or Ferrie) that’s a first team squad of 27 plus say Ryan Jack/ AN Other midfielder would be 28. I think that is about right considering the number of injuries we have.

Aye, that’s pretty much the way I’m looking at it. It’s probably more than we’d intended but assuming we don’t break any more players it should hopefully give us enough cover and not have us rushing injured players back and also allow some of the more exotic signings time to bed in

21 minutes ago, welldaft said:

His pathway will be to go out on loan. I have no issues with that. It is not as if the Manager has not given him game time. He has started a couple of games and been a sub in a couple of others.

And before anyone jumps to conclusions I am writing him off. I would say he did OK but did not look like a 1st team player which given his age and experience is little surprise. 

Ewan Wilson on the other hand. Same opportunities but has performed better and has rightly kept his place. 

No doubt but Wilson didn't look entirely convincing in his first minutes (I can't be bothered digging out the comments on here but there were plenty) and settled down... would Wells not have similar potential if given 10-15 mins most weeks? SK obviously thinks a loan is better, and I hope he's right, but given we will have some injured folk coming back in due course, you could have given Wells minutes now then loaned him in January to start somewhere when Slattery and Nicholson are fit.

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, that’s absolutely fair but was Watt’s tear not playing off the left in Grezza’s 433 with KVV as the #9?

My abiding memory is that KVV was shunted wide more than Watt, although we did try both combinations? Looks like Ketts views him as a wide option though regardless. 

6 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

My abiding memory is that KVV was shunted wide more than Watt, although we did try both combinations? Looks like Ketts views him as a wide option though regardless. 

If all he does is take the ball from right back, up the wing to the corner flag in the last 10 minutes of a match we are winning g then I will be happy, multiple opposition players in his wake is the cherry on the top.

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Aye.

See, I think my recollection of the period is him pinging that goal against United in the rain off the left so it's just in my head that's where we were getting the best out of him.

On 29/08/2024 at 12:46, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I got a real bee in my bonnet about the admission age thing and ended up sending Brian Caldwell a lengthy e-mail on it, I'm not sure if he will reply, but I got it off my chest.

I don't personally agree with us all of a sudden turning away kids who previously would have got in, but I can see the reasoning and logic behind his explanations.

The bit which I can't fathom though, is that our chief executive is explaining this in a press release, after we've had FIVE competitive games since the rule was implemented.

I heard of one scenario where a kid went into renew and was aggressively told that he couldn't in the ticket office. For families on tight budgets, it's not just as simple as "alright, I'll go with him then if I have to" when £50 on football then becomes north of £400 on football. That child should never have had to learn this in the ticket office. There should have been letters, e-mails and phone calls. It should have been in a press release in April, not the end of August. It should have been plastered on our season ticket comms. Perhaps, in some cases, a family could have budgeted for the extra spend with advance notice. 

Was there no way that parents of existing season ticket holders could sign a disclaimer? Was there no community trust initiatives which could have been setup to try and keep these kids engaged with Motherwell?

To sum up:

The rule itself - I don't agree with, but can bring myself to understand why.

The way the rule has been implemented - Unprofessional, careless, incompetent and insensitive.

The way the rule was communicated - Utterly pathetic.

For those interested, Brian got back to me this morning. Fair play to him for engaging and doing it so quickly.

I started off with a quick rant about how my Dad came from a Celtic supporting household in Holytown and how he became a 'Well fan by going to Fir Park with his siblings and friends as kids and how now three generations of Motherwell fans would not be caught under today's guidelines. This part wasn't anything other than a bit of a rant so rather expectedly he just reiterated what he said in the club's press release about how the regulations are handled in Hampden, England etc. 

On the comms side of things, he responded by saying

• We don't have enough staff to phone, letter or e-mail those affected. I challenged him back on this - saying a significant change like this requires a duty of care and questioned the volume of season ticket holders who don't come with an accompanying adult. I suspect that perhaps the blocker on this is that our system isn't wise enough to link parent and child in all instances.
  • He said this was on season ticket comms. I challenged him on prevalent it was and gave the example I gave on here that I was able to buy my adult's season ticket without noticing any rule changes. I questioned its absence from social media posts and told him that while I concede social media is all about "engagement" and "reach" these days, whilst the videos plastered with rule change may have been less slick, it would have got the information to those who really need it.
  • He did concede, if a bit lightly, that a video of yesterday's ilk at the time would have helped.

On the initiaves side of things:

• He didn't entertain a disclaimer being signed by parents from a legal standing (fair enough, I know little enough about that to bow to his expertise)
  • There would be no staff available on match days from the community trust (or otherwise) to help take some kids to games.

Rather than banning those arrested, given a lot will be over eighteen why don’t we let them in but make sure they’re accompanied by a responsible thirteen year old. 

Win / win with absolutely no downside. 

I can understand, albeit I don't like, getting a loan player from Celtic or Rangers as they're likely to be a higher quality player. 

A loan for a player who cannot get into THAT Hibs side? Get that in the bin, please.

8 minutes ago, Desp said:

I can understand, albeit I don't like, getting a loan player from Celtic or Rangers as they're likely to be a higher quality player. 

A loan for a player who cannot get into THAT Hibs side? Get that in the bin, please.

As much as I find it objectively funny and I’m very entertained by the idea of heads combusting on SO at us signing another forward…

Yes, it’s an absolutely f**king terrible shout.

My only knowledge of Jair Tavares comes from this game where to be fair to the lad he scored an absolutely lovely goal

Another forward does seem slightly unnecessary on top of the 50 or so we've already got and whilst I'm sure the lad isn't completely useless I can't say I'm particularly excited by this.

36 minutes ago, Desp said:

Nah, Kettlewell is slowly working his way round all the premiership clubs, making their shite players good and showing up their managers along the way. Have faith. 

58 minutes ago, Desp said:

Isn't this guy rotten as well?