Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Friday night was possibly my favourite ever time at FP. I'm sure through the years there have been other games to rival the atmosphere there but being able to share it with my 2 boys, (who have had a pretty tough introduction to FP starting in the Alexander era ) was pretty special . Especially turning round at the final whistle to see my youngest have the biggest cheesy smile on his face when he said " dad, we're going to Hampden !"  Icing on the cake is getting home , putting on the highlights and clearly seeing the 3 of us giving it laldy at the full time whistle.  

Woke up yesterday to an urgent call from the hospital so have now spent the last 30 hours up at Wishaw at my dad's bedside going from expecting to lose him in a matter of minutes to looking like he's going to pull through . Whit a weekend , talk about ups and downs . Life, eh!  

I'll take that draw , probably the sweet spot of all the permutations and if Aberdeen can't take advantage of Celtic's European preparations then f#ck it , let's just beat both the OF on the way to lift the cup.  

The process to appoint a new Club Chair and up to four Football Club Executive Board members is now underway. Following a full meeting of the new Well Society Board, Directors Amber Johnstone, Derek Watson and Martin Grey will join Club Chief Executive Brian Caldwell on a selection panel that will make recommendations to the full Well Society Board. A shortlist of candidates, each with defined skills, has been completed.

Noticed that in the recent WS email that there is an update on (former) Chairman Jim's replacement. Nice to see the Society Board and Brian Caldwell working together on it..

13 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Noticed that in the recent WS email that there is an update on (former) Chairman Jim's replacement. Nice to see the Society Board and Brian Caldwell working together on it..

I was just away to post about that.

It's a good update.

Obviously sign up to the mailing list if you haven't already but the bit about the board stuff is below.

Screenshot2024-09-22at22_40_10.thumb.png.67285f3c741c49b3254fe942b7f07ee5.png

Noticed this post from Speedie was retweeted by the Society as well:

1 hour ago, JamesP_81 said:

Woke up yesterday to an urgent call from the hospital so have now spent the last 30 hours up at Wishaw at my dad's bedside going from expecting to lose him in a matter of minutes to looking like he's going to pull through . Whit a weekend , talk about ups and downs . Life, eh!  

Good news. Wish you and your family all the best!

And honestly, winning a cup has to involve luck at some point? On the day, this squad has shown it can compete with the best. Sometimes it's not enough but it wouldn't be the Motherwell way if it were easy.

Edited by Phillips455

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

You will never ever convince me that the powers that be don't do everything they can to keep the OF apart in these draws. 

I don't care what you say or what stats show. 

I realise this won't change your mind one iota, but having literally been in and around dozens of these draws; they don't. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Jastons6 said:

Ultimately it doesn't really make much difference but why are the league cup semis scheduled for a weekend and the league games rearranged instead of the semi finals being played mid week?

League Cup ties used to be predominantly mid-week, from memory? They also drew relatively crap crowds because of it (The 2008/09 cup semi finals, Rangers v Falkirk, Celtic v Dundee United didn't even reach 50k combined).

The league cup is and always has been, fundamentally, a money making exercise, so 100k at Hampden over a weekend is miles beyond what you'd get midweek, before you even begin to start figuring out the logistics of Aberdeen/United/Anyone outside of the immediate central belt on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. A pain in the arse and night and day to what it is now. 

Of all the things that Scottish football does right/wrong, the current format of the LC certainly gives the competition more weight and pomp than it did previously, imo. There's a real desire to make a bit of a (positive!) fuss, on the whole.