Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think the selection and formation didn't lend itself to us being very creative. 

We love to play up to McGinn's "7/10 Mr dependable" cliche but today really did prove that having at least one for the back three who doesn't treat the ball like a hot tattie helps.

With our back three, we either need to rely on wing-backs getting forward, or playing through our attacking midfielders. I'm a fan of SOD and Wilson but neither are going to burst to the byline - which makes 3-5-2 a hard sell, without being able to play through attacking midfielders. It seems the full team was setup today hoping Miller would be able to play balls through to Stamatelopolous.

I missed it, but either @JayMFCor @Busta Nutpointed out to me that Ap Stam bolted down the tunnel, so he can't have been that injured. I think it must have been tummy related. I think Kettlewell held off in bringing Watt on, hoping he'd return to the dressing room to find out it was only a fart.

Surely a 34 year old journeyman RB that's had to convert to being a CH because his legs aren't what they were to play RB anymore isn't as key as you're making out lads? 

17 signings and you're needing to rely on that? 

I liked McGinn at Dens but never did I see him being a main man for any team he played for.

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I missed it, but either @JayMFCor @Busta Nutpointed out to me that Ap Stam bolted down the tunnel, so he can't have been that injured. I think it must have been tummy related. I think Kettlewell held off in bringing Watt on, hoping he'd return to the dressing room to find out it was only a fart.

I am hoping he held off the sub because it is madness to make a sub at 45 minutes 59 seconds when you get a free change at half time.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Surely a 34 year old journeyman RB that's had to convert to being a CH because his legs aren't what they were to play RB anymore isn't as key as you're making out lads? 

I liked McGinn at Dens but never did I see him being a main man for any team he played for.

McGinn has been a stalwart for us since his move to centre half, as said above you can rely on to him to be 7/10 every week. If I remember correctly he got my vote for POTY last season.

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am hoping he held off the sub because it is madness to make a sub at 45 minutes 59 seconds when you get a free change at half time.

That's a very good point I hadn't considered. Probably more plausible than hoping Ap Stam hadn't shit himself 😂

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

He never converted because his legs weren't what they used to be, he moved in there as we moved to a system to suit the plethora of right backs on our books at the time.

He offers a calmness on the ball which I'm sure you witnessed our three centre backs today didn't (albeit they all have their own strengths).

A back three that works well is often balanced with two centre backs and a player who would be a full back if you played a back four.

Dundee were 1 win in 15, hadn’t won since August 10th and hadn’t won at Fir Park in over 7 years. As I said in the match thread also, the bedrock of a good season is minimising defeats at home to your peer group and today was also our best chance of points before the semi final (3 defeats on the bounce leading up to it now likely and will certainly kill any optimism on the big day) so we’ve failed on so many accounts today it’s frightening. 

Of course we’ve made a very good start but it doesn’t take much for bug bares that had been parked due to our good start making them look churlish, to appear more pressing.

The continued non effectiveness bordering on competition winner-esque performances from Robinson, the extensive and increasing injuries, lack of midfield options, and Watt’s contributions diminishing with each passing appearance all seem more pressing this evening than they had previously. 

57 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I think the selection and formation didn't lend itself to us being very creative. 

We love to play up to McGinn's "7/10 Mr dependable" cliche but today really did prove that having at least one for the back three who doesn't treat the ball like a hot tattie helps.

With our back three, we either need to rely on wing-backs getting forward, or playing through our attacking midfielders. I'm a fan of SOD and Wilson but neither are going to burst to the byline - which makes 3-5-2 a hard sell, without being able to play through attacking midfielders. It seems the full team was setup today hoping Miller would be able to play balls through to Stamatelopolous.

Agree with all that.

With O’Donnell and Wilson is it possibly time to give Seddon and Kaleta more game time in order to suit our preferred set up better?

I've said I thought today was a horrendous performance, but folk also need to chill out a bit. We've won six of our last eight. 

The game was one of the poorest I've watched in a while, Dundee shaded it but I don't think many could say either team impressed. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never really understand the knee-jerk, hyperbolic reaction that seems to come with any defeat we have had in recent seasons. We were pish today, we lost. We haven't been pish that often this season and even when we've not been at our best we've shown character in grinding out results.

Today was a really bad day at the office where nobody played well, but on the whole we have been solid so far this season. Not really sure what speculating about runs of results that haven't actually happened does, but each to their own. 

Edited by MurrayWell

We don't need to overhaul the team after one loss, and the calls to drop Wilson are crazy.  He didn't even have a bad game.

We were poor today, and got the result we deserved, but I don't think an inquest is merited.