Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It was time for Stevo to go due to lack of fitness but I must say I'm disappointed that Cairney doesn't appear to have lost an ounce over the summer, he's not good enough for the championship in that nick IMHO, I'll be delighted if he proves me wrong right enough.

Thought he looked to have lost a decent amount tbh (though he was huge at Stranraer) Clearly still a bit to go though and he was poor on Saturday. 

14 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Thought he looked to have lost a decent amount tbh (though he was huge at Stranraer) Clearly still a bit to go though and he was poor on Saturday. 

You might be right but he looked huge enough to me on Saturday(he needs to get the diet pies and sugar free caramel cups from the world's finest baker and doddsy), playing up front didn't do him any favours either right enough.

By the way I was pleasantly surprised with his work rate yesterday. I always had him down as a jog about the park at 5mph type, but he was doing a power of running in our midfield 3 yesterday - chasing down goalkeepers clearances, coming out wide to cover for Andy Stirling going forward and the like. Didn't see him doing that, especially not after his pretty...ehm...relaxed looking pre-season.

That doesn't come through in the highlights i watched (Forfar). Looked like last seasons Stevo at their first with a challenge for show and even worse at their second where he was absolutely naewhere and appeared to be his man by his running in when its too late.

Rest of your team looked very organised though. Ill watch SonsTV and see if they paint another picture.

8 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I'm not meaning to say there was an "arse in gear" clause was written into his contract. It seems more likely it would be a "prove you're not a lazy shite and you'll get a contract" type agreement, rather than any clause written into a contract.

From what Sonsteam says (as he's usually pretty reliable) it seems likely that it wasn't a guaranteed contract offer from Ayr anyway.

How would Stevo go about proving he wasn't a lazy shite? Run about a lot? It's impossible to define and I just don't see it happening. Was Cairney given any such demands, given that he appears more overweight than Stevo?

10 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Ever since Aitken arrived at the club players have generally said what Aitken had to say about the club really impressed them and bought them over. Ryan Stevenson said he was offered more money by you than us as well although I'm not basing my opinion on that.

The money we offered Stevenson was lower than half of what the bigger earners are on and that is why he left. That is from him and others in the club.

If he's went to Dumbarton for an even lower wage than that then fair play to him, however I seriously doubt it.

5 hours ago, itzdrk said:

That doesn't come through in the highlights i watched (Forfar). Looked like last seasons Stevo at their first with a challenge for show and even worse at their second where he was absolutely naewhere and appeared to be his man by his running in when its too late.

Rest of your team looked very organised though. Ill watch SonsTV and see if they paint another picture.

He was at fault for the first, I agree, although our midfield was so shan that, that doesn't affect things much. The second goal came from our CAM playing in CDM (when we had a CDM playing CAM...yup, nae idea) overplaying and gifting them the ball.

I don't know how we looked in the highlights compared to how we actually played, but as soon as we went a goal down we sort of stopped having a shape :( It was like school football with guys just running about AOTS.

35 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

The money we offered Stevenson was lower than half of what the bigger earners are on and that is why he left. That is from him and others in the club.

If he's went to Dumbarton for an even lower wage than that then fair play to him, however I seriously doubt it.

I don't know what we're paying him, but I'd imagine it'll be similar to what he was offered from you lot (the lower figure), but with a guaranteed offer not a 'come and prove your fitness and we'll decide' type of deal.

On the subject of players playing for a manager, Paul Cairney is a good example, I'm guessing he would've been offered at least as much to stay at Stranraer (£250 p/w obvs) but wanted to work with McCall again.

23 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Think part time training will cost you more than going full time.

You saw it last season with two games against us where we won despite being behind. Josh out jumping Stevenson was a highlight.

One day Dunfermline fans will stop going on about this. One day.

5 minutes ago, Kitty_Boy said:

One day Dunfermline fans will stop going on about this. One day.

Unfortunately for them the full time training didn't do Falkingham much good when Adams easily pushed him off the ball!

Archived