Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It hasn't been our forward play thats let us down so far, it's been our defending. Signing an experienced striker would of course help but if we keep making so many mistakes at the back then it doesn't matter who we sign up top.

Junior players have worked before, Moffat coming from Girvan being a good example but it shouldn't really be a consideration at this. If that is the route we go down then we might as well just call it a season.

6 minutes ago, Hawkes97 said:

Moffat coming from Maybole being a good example

Didn't Moffat come from Girvan? It was just a thought, again as said, some good players do come through junior ranks. I for the life of me cannot think of any premiership /championship classed defender dropping to a part-timed relegation favourite club (Next to Dumbarton, we top the list to go down) Looking at lower league gems might be a great option in theory.

If there are any players in junior or senior football, or at least below us in the football structure that are capable of being better than the players we currently have, their clubs won't let them leave without a fee, even Moffat, Ayr tried for about a year to sign him but wouldn't pay £3k asking price. 

Yes but a smaller fee than that asked of a club at this level. Junior clubs wouldn't ask as much as a club in same division (championship) or above (premier league) again, it was just a thought. I think your right though diegomarahenry, we do have a semi decent team with boys pushing through the youth ranks. Probably best to leave the junior leagues well and truly alone. If Eddie Malone (or players as good as or better) wishes to come to Ayr, it would be Mccall wanted them to.

12 minutes ago, trainspotter said:

A small point but it was Pope who came from Auchinleck, not Lithgow. Prompting one since departed poster to use the hilarious Unfair Shitited tag, long before the Head's Gone thread was started.

Shit, so it was. Sorry. I'm not very good with the whole memory thing. Pope went back to Auchinleck and I think Lithgow is at Livingston? 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If there are any players in junior or senior football, or at least below us in the football structure that are capable of being better than the players we currently have, their clubs won't let them leave without a fee, even Moffat, Ayr tried for about a year to sign him but wouldn't pay £3k asking price. 

Just goes to show how shambolic and small-minded we can be at times.

12 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Ayr tried for about a year to sign him but wouldn't pay £3k asking price. 

Im pretty sure we didn't pay it in the end but instead played a friendly down there with all the proceeds going to Girvan? Regardless it's a joke we can't/won't pay that money for a player.

From an Ayr United supporter of only a couple of years im really surprised to hear that another supporter who has followed   the club for many years and has raised over £30,000 to put to the players fund to help the club bring in new  players has been treated so badly by the club to the extent that he has chose to stay away from watching the Honest men.This guy has worked tirelessly to raise funds asking for nothing in return over the years and the club cannot even acknowledge this massive effort . I   didnt think the club were in a position to lose this valuable  input and i would be interested to hear from the club if i have got anything wrong in the above . Disheartened fan :(

16 minutes ago, chairmanchas said:

From an Ayr United supporter of only a couple of years im really surprised to hear that another supporter who has followed   the club for many years and has raised over £30,000 to put to the players fund to help the club bring in new  players has been treated so badly by the club to the extent that he has chose to stay away from watching the Honest men.This guy has worked tirelessly to raise funds asking for nothing in return over the years and the club cannot even acknowledge this massive effort . I   didnt think the club were in a position to lose this valuable  input and i would be interested to hear from the club if i have got anything wrong in the above . Disheartened fan :(

I believe your talking about the legend that is Somerset Boab. Is he not still around? Your right, he deserves more credit than he gets. He has worked tirelessly to help the club. If a person would do what he did/does for Ayr at a bigger club, say a Celtic or R*ngers, they'd surely make a pretty penny. I wish the best for Boaby, sad to hear he's staying away.

4 hours ago, Hawkes97 said:

Im pretty sure we didn't pay it in the end but instead played a friendly down there with all the proceeds going to Girvan? Regardless it's a joke we can't/won't pay that money for a player.

We rely on Lachlan Cameron pumping in six figures every season and as a result are nearly £2 million in debt. That's the real joke.

30 minutes ago, chairmanchas said:

Be interested to know more about how the club have treated him badly.

From an Ayr United supporter of only a couple of years im really surprised to hear that another supporter who has followed   the club for many years and has raised over £30,000 to put to the players fund to help the club bring in new  players has been treated so badly by the club to the extent that he has chose to stay away from watching the Honest men.This guy has worked tirelessly to raise funds asking for nothing in return over the years and the club cannot even acknowledge this massive effort . I   didnt think the club were in a position to lose this valuable  input and i would be interested to hear from the club if i have got anything wrong in the above . Disheartened fan [emoji20]

IIRC the gentleman in question got plenty of acknowledgement from the club. Regularly he was on the pitch, attending events held by the club that no regular supporter would have been invited to. Numerous stories were written about him and regularly mentioned the fantastic work that he was doing. Managers stated in interviews that the money given to them was a great help.

There has been very little activity in the past 18 months from the individual, I dare say it got tiring as he invested a lot of his own time in to it. But I'm not sure what more the club could have done other than erecting a statue or a plaque.

56 minutes ago, chairmanchas said:

Awryt Richard, how you doing ma man?

1 hour ago, HonestJohn said:

IIRC the gentleman in question got plenty of acknowledgement from the club. Regularly he was on the pitch, attending events held by the club that no regular supporter would have been invited to. Numerous stories were written about him and regularly mentioned the fantastic work that he was doing. Managers stated in interviews that the money given to them was a great help.

There has been very little activity in the past 18 months from the individual, I dare say it got tiring as he invested a lot of his own time in to it. But I'm not sure what more the club could have done other than erecting a statue or a plaque.

Spot on mate.

Archived