Ayr United, What now 2016/17

After watching the highlights there is just so much wrong defensively it's impossible to know where to start. Utterly hopeless in the full back areas, both Boyle and Devlin helping to sell goals. Central defence pulled all over the place. 

Wide midfielders not tracking back effectively either or ball watching. People ghosting through the middle of the park. 

Devlin was better than Boyle yesterday until the big black fella came on and roasted him.

I was also quite surprised to see how high up the park both full backs were at times. Attacking intent but not when we're needing to tighten up.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went along yesterday. The first 2 goals were annoying too slow to react and seemed to happen in slow motion. 3rd goal was well taken. We looked completed non sharp and a team that had no played together before. The defenders held on to the ball for too long and were very slow giving Dundee Utd plenty time to get back and never really caught them on the counter. Not enough guys shouting for the fall when in space. I wonder if we are really feeling the loss of John Henry. McCall needs to bring in an assistant. It was always going to be a hard game its more games next week that will be make or break for the season.

As I live in Edinburgh I don't make that many games these days. I was also put off by awful behavior by our fans at the last Ayrshire derby. There still seems to be that bad element. Fair enough with the DKB chants to Cammy Bell all in good banter but then singing songs about hoping he dies in his sleep is truly embarassing and sick when you think of what happened to a former player Stuart McGrady. They seems to be quick to get on the players back and singling out Crawford. Calm down its 3rd game of the season away to team with 2nd highest budget he is new to the league. Fair play they were called on it when others confronting them and told them to encourage the team rather than get on their backs. 

Then Obadeyi fair enough booing as he was a former Killie player but one or two idiots shouting about him going back to the jungle etc. I suppose not living in the west these days I'm not used to that stuff quite as much but seemed to be only person that showed signs of disgust at that.

I think some people do see to have a sense of entitlement and if folk their behaviour goes unchallenged they can say what they want for a laugh. We need perspective Since 2004 we have only had 2 full seasons at this level. Season tickets sales only just exceeded what was sold last year on the weekend of the opening game. In terms of crowds size and budget we have no divine right to be above the play off positions. This is a big adjustment for the team and we need to be supportive. The opening results have been disappointing and you can see the frustration in the team and how they play. They need to play without that and be more assertive and be more bold and take a chance going forward even if that means a few more skied balls. 

Went along yesterday. The first 2 goals were annoying too slow to react and seemed to happen in slow motion. 3rd goal was well taken. We looked completed non sharp and a team that had no played together before. The defenders held on to the ball for too long and were very slow giving Dundee Utd plenty time to get back and never really caught them on the counter. Not enough guys shouting for the fall when in space. I wonder if we are really feeling the loss of John Henry. McCall needs to bring in an assistant. It was always going to be a hard game its more games next week that will be make or break for the season.

As I live in Edinburgh I don't make that many games these days. I was also put off by awful behavior by our fans at the last Ayrshire derby. There still seems to be that bad element. Fair enough with the DKB chants to Cammy Bell all in good banter but then singing songs about hoping he dies in his sleep is truly embarassing and sick when you think of what happened to a former player Stuart McGrady. They seems to be quick to get on the players back and singling out Crawford. Calm down its 3rd game of the season away to team with 2nd highest budget he is new to the league. Fair play they were called on it when others confronting them and told them to encourage the team rather than get on their backs. 

Then Obadeyi fair enough booing as he was a former Killie player but one or two idiots shouting about him going back to the jungle etc. I suppose not living in the west these days I'm not used to that stuff quite as much but seemed to be only person that showed signs of disgust at that.

I think some people do see to have a sense of entitlement and if folk their behaviour goes unchallenged they can say what they want for a laugh. We need perspective Since 2004 we have only had 2 full seasons at this level. Season tickets sales only just exceeded what was sold last year on the weekend of the opening game. In terms of crowds size and budget we have no divine right to be above the play off positions. This is a big adjustment for the team and we need to be supportive. The opening results have been disappointing and you can see the frustration in the team and how they play. They need to play without that and be more assertive and be more bold and take a chance going forward even if that means a few more skied balls. 

I was at the game with my brother in law who is a Puerto Rican new yorker. I was worried about any racist shouts but thankfully didn't hear any yesterday (we were sitting a good wee bit away from the singing session).

You're right about there being a fine line between acceptable and not but yesterday I thought it was just good vocal support for the team and a bit of grief to the ex killies. Again I didn't make out the 'dying in your sleep' lyrics at the time (making me sound a bit like arsene wenger here but just calling it as I saw it).

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

After watching the highlights there is just so much wrong defensively it's impossible to know where to start. Utterly hopeless in the full back areas, both Boyle and Devlin helping to sell goals. Central defence pulled all over the place. 

Wide midfielders not tracking back effectively either or ball watching. People ghosting through the middle of the park. 

That sounds exactly like us.

Should be an interesting game next week.

After watching the highlights i'm not sure if Boyle was trying to shoot towards goal or pass to nisbet when he got the ball at the edge of the box in the first half.

If it was a shot then i'm pretty sure if no one had made contact with the ball then it would have gone out for a throw. 

Also his fantastic ball control in the opposition half resulted in them going up the other end and scoring the 2nd goal.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

After watching the highlights i'm not sure if Boyle was trying to shoot towards goal or pass to nisbet when he got the ball at the edge of the box in the first half.

If it was a shot then i'm pretty sure if no one had made contact with the ball then it would have gone out for a throw. 

Also his fantastic ball control in the opposition half resulted in them going up the other end and scoring the 2nd goal.

It was a shot. Technically Boyle can be woeful at times. Miskicks, fresh air swipes and shots like that. 

24 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Was it the Cottage Crew?  Can't stick them. LOUD N PROUD!

I've no idea, I was well away from them.

I find our fans constantly singing about Killie to be extremely cringeworthy and embarrassing as well. It's so small time to be so obsessed with your bigger rivals that you sing about them for 90 mins every week. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I find our fans constantly singing about Killie to be extremely cringeworthy and embarrassing as well. It's so small time to be so obsessed with your bigger rivals that you sing about them for 90 mins every week. 

To be fair, you'd be surprised how much Killie fans sing about Ayr.  I get your point though, it is very tin pot.

And so he should. He has to show some ambition. But the accusation that he somehow thinks we're better than we are due to hype is daft.

You asked about this hype and I'm just telling you it came from the manager. As far as I'm aware we, the fans, have been pretty certain 9th would be a result.

Just noticed (via Airdrie website) that the home game against them in the Irn-Bru cup will now be played on Sunday 4th September instead of the 3rd to avoid clashing with the airshow. Nice of Ayr to give their supporters the update aswell.

Personally i'd rather the game was moved to midweek instead of a Sunday.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Agree 100%

While I agree the season has got off to a bad start it is still just three games in. As our Dumbarton friend pointed out, there is plenty of time to turn things around. Boyle, Devlin, Doc are still finding their feet adjusting to the step up in quality. Prehaps they never will, in which case McCall needs to replace them, but the season is so early that we can't write them off yet. A win at home on Saturday will do wonders for team (and fan) morale.

10 minutes ago, Young Eddie said:

While I agree the season has got off to a bad start it is still just three games in. As our Dumbarton friend pointed out, there is plenty of time to turn things around. Boyle, Devlin, Doc are still finding their feet adjusting to the step up in quality. Prehaps they never will, in which case McCall needs to replace them, but the season is so early that we can't write them off yet. A win at home on Saturday will do wonders for team (and fan) morale.

I don't actually think its quite as simple as made out though.  There were three part time sides in that league so more likely there will be teams nearby you even on poor form one of whom was Airdrie who had failed in the playoff final (after beating us in the semi) and were preparing for life in division two and they were promoted when Rangers died and the squad just was not cut out for the division because of that.  

Additionally Dunfermline were docked 15 points due to administration. 

All of this gives Dumbarton then a much better platform to go and stay up than what we face this year.  

Fair fucks to them for going and doing it though. 

I don't actually think its quite as simple as made out though.  There were three part time sides in that league so more likely there will be teams nearby you even on poor form one of whom was Airdrie who had failed in the playoff final (after beating us in the semi) and were preparing for life in division two and they were promoted when Rangers died and the squad just was not cut out for the division because of that.  

Additionally Dunfermline were docked 15 points due to administration. 

All of this gives Dumbarton then a much better platform to go and stay up than what we face this year.  

Fair fucks to them for going and doing it though. 

The point about going on wee runs is the crucial part. It's all about picking up points when they're on offer. So far this season we've not lost any points we deserved.

Our time will come, and then we'll have to deliver.

We do however clearly need a fucking point. If not something next week then a win the following. Something on the board.

I did something on Saturday that I've never done before, I walked into the away end and took a couple of pictures on my phone of the stadium. I was happy to be there but it seems that the side are "happy to be there" too.

We need more than that, I want them eyeballing the opposition in the tunnel, snarlin' & hissin' Crazy Gang stylee. On footballing ability alone, we don't have the tools at the moment to compete, that extra 10-15% needs to come from organisation & team spirit.

Those two commodities start & end with Ian McCall. He obviously fancied Meggatt as a player as did "several other Championship sides". But to jettison him for a CM in the heart of defence is poor man management and borderline desperate. If he wanted a bit of extra insurance he could have quite easily have deployed either Doc or Jamie to sit deep just in front of the back 4 to disrupt the game.

That said, most of DU's good work in the first half came down the flanks. They attacked the space vacated by either Devlin or Boyle very cleverly as both were often caught out charging forward with little regard for their defensive duties. That might be all well and good if you have a couple of pacy centre halfs and DM's tracking back... but we didn't. Forrest didn't provide cover for Boyle, neither Crawford for Devlin in the first half, it was all a bit amateur hour/45 mins. All of this away from home against a fancied side fresh from the SPL. Where's the game management? Make yourself hard to beat away from home.

Too many square pegs, round holes for my liking so wouldn't like to pass judgement on several others. Harkins though was a delight to watch. Head up, looking for a pass, confidence to retain possession & take a man on when required. He seemed to work hard for the side, I hope we can retain his interest for the remainder of the season.

Already it seems that the return to fitness of Craig Moore is key to our season. His directness and eye for goal are sadly lacking in the side, he'll love Harkins ability to find him in the final third.

Whilst obviously a disappointing start to the season, we're all kidding ourselves if we thought it'd be a straightforward leap to Championship safety.

The murmurings of discontent towards McCall are ludicrous, he's made mistakes, he'll continue to make mistakes, he's earned the right. He's loyal, he's the right man for the job. Look forward to seeing him rectify a few of those mistakes at Easter Road next month. 'Mon Ayr!

Archived