Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Team v Airdrie in the play offs that season:

Cuthbert, Tiffoney, Martyn Campbell, Smith, Malone, Trouten, Geggan, McKernon (McGowan 78), Longridge, Moffat (Parker 60), Roberts. Subs Not Used: McWilliams, Ross Robertson, Hutchinson.

v

Team from the Morton game:

Fleming, Devlin, Balatoni, Meggat, Boyle, Gilmour (O'Connell 84), Adams, Docherty, Cairney (Nisbet 58), Harkins (McGuffie 77), Forrest. Subs Not Used: Hart, Murphy, Crawford, Thomas

Just looking at they 2 match day squads, there is possibly 3 (Cuthbert, Geggan, Moffat) I would have in our squad just now. The rest would be weakening the team. No way was that a top 5 team. Apart from the 3 mentioned, the rest are well below Championship level.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I however remember it well enough. We were the only team to finish below you and only managed that by having a horrific season caused by financial problems. You were nothing like a "top five team" that season.

How many of our games did you roll up at?

Head to head table with top 5.

PLAYED POINTS
Ross County   20 44
Dundee   20 29
Falkirk   20 28
Ayr   20 24
Hamilton   20 22
Livingston   20 16

I'll stick to my assertion that Reid playing not to lose against the lesser teams cost us that season.

The other 4's results in a similar table with the top 5

Partick   20 19
Morton   20 18
Raith   20 18
QOTS   20 10

39 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

How many of our games did you roll up at?

5. And we won 2, drew 1 of those and only lost another in extra time. And we were awful that year.

The team that played us in the last of those was:
Cuthbert, Tiffoney, Smith, Robertson, Campbell, Geggan, Trouten, Tomsett, Parker, Roberts and Moffat.

That's never in a month of sundays a top five squad. Parker and Roberts had been players in their day but were on the way down. Cuthbert is a good keeper. None of the rest would hold down a place in a top five team.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

5. And we won 2, drew 1 of those and only lost another in extra time. And we were awful that year.

The team that played us in the last of those was:
Cuthbert, Tiffoney, Smith, Robertson, Campbell, Geggan, Trouten, Tomsett, Parker, Roberts and Moffat.

That's never in a month of sundays a top five squad. Parker and Roberts had been players in their day but were on the way down. Cuthbert is a good keeper. None of the rest would hold down a place in a top five team.

See table above.

Just now, ayrmad said:

See table above.

Seen it. Offers pretty much zero evidence to contradict what I just said. You had one or two "top five team" standard players and nicking a few results off bigger sides by being well organised and hard to beat doesn't change that. Dumbarton beat Hibs twice last season. Doesn't make them a top five team either.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seen it. Offers pretty much zero evidence to contradict what I just said. You had one or two "top five team" standard players and nicking a few results off bigger sides by being well organised and hard to beat doesn't change that. Dumbarton beat Hibs twice last season. Doesn't make them a top five team either.

We were going at it in the Dundee and County gamesI was at, Brittain scored a worldy to snatch the points at the death of a great ding dong battle)  and it's more evidence than you've provided to the contrary.

Never noticed, too busy jumping in and out.

47 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

We were going in Dundee and County at games I was at Brittain scored a worldy to snatch the points at the death of a great ding dong battle)  and it's more evidence than you've provided to the contrary.

Maybe try that again in English? I have no idea what the first part of the sentence even means. Every single Ayr fan on this thread has also disagreed with you. Ayr haven't had a top five squad at this level since the Bill Barr days.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe try that again in English? I have no idea what the first part of the sentence even means. Every single Ayr fan on this thread has also disagreed with you. Ayr haven't had a top five squad at this level since the Bill Barr days.

1.2 points per game against the top 5 v .875 points per game against the rest allows me to be comfortable with my memory of throwing it away playing negative shite against the bottom teams.

We had quite a number of fans praising Harkins a fortnight ago in a match in which he just walked about for the bulk of it and we had hardly a mention of Meggats outstanding performance on Saturday, so forgive me if I don't take too much heed of fans views, I try and watch as a neutral rather than with the blinkers on.

2 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

To be fair, I remember Chick Young proclaiming Ayr as being title contenders on the radio early in that season. And he kens stuff...

Nah, we were absolute dross that got lucky when we played the top 5.

Absolute delusion. Longridge, Tiffoney, Smith, Campbell and Trouten were barely good enough to play at the top of League 1, never mind the Championship. The table you've posted that says we got a massive 5/6 more points against top 5 teams than the other bottom 4 makes zero difference to the fact that we didn't have players anywhere near the standard of the top 5 that year. There's rose tinted glasses and there's just plain idiocy.

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Absolute delusion. Longridge, Tiffoney, Smith, Campbell and Trouten were barely good enough to play at the top of League 1, never mind the Championship. The table you've posted that says we got a massive 5/6 more points against top 5 teams than the other bottom 4 makes zero difference to the fact that we didn't have players anywhere near the standard of the top 5 that year. There's rose tinted glasses and there's just plain idiocy.

Martyn Cambell was more than good enough for the championship at the time (Injuries aside)  Longridge also didn't really play until the play offs. Don't disagree with your overall point though.

ETA our current side is better all over the park, including up front when Moore is back. Thomsett, Cuthbert and Geggan are the only three that would have a shout. (Geggan definitely starting)  

8 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Martyn Cambell was more than good enough for the championship at the time (Injuries aside)  Longridge also didn't really play until the play offs. Don't disagree with your overall point though.

ETA our current side is better all over the park, including up front when Moore is back. Thomsett, Cuthbert and Geggan are the only three that would have a shout. (Geggan definitely starting)  

Martyn Campbell wasn't "more than good enough for the championship" even at that time. He was fine at heading away long balls, but he had zero pace and couldn't actually play with his feet so got an absolute roasting from any quick, skilful forwards. He was suited to League 1 hoofball, not the championship.

Archived