Ayr United, What now 2016/17

8 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Martyn Campbell wasn't "more than good enough for the championship" even at that time. He was fine at heading away long balls, but he had zero pace and couldn't actually play with his feet so got an absolute roasting from any quick, skilful forwards. He was suited to League 1 hoofball, not the championship.

Campbell wasn't actually particularly slow whatsoever.  He was absolutely fine in the championship. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Campbell wasn't actually particularly slow whatsoever.  He was absolutely fine in the championship. 

Martyn Campbell was no slouch...perhaps not the quickest off the mark but was fairly rapid over 15/20 yards....just ask anyone who ever played with him.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Seen it. Offers pretty much zero evidence to contradict what I just said. You had one or two "top five team" standard players and nicking a few results off bigger sides by being well organised and hard to beat doesn't change that. Dumbarton beat Hibs twice last season. Doesn't make them a top five team either.

We were in 2014 :D

20 hours ago, pandarilla said:

We've recently added a centre half, a striker, and a creative midfielder.

Moore so far is looking like a gamble too far but harkins and the big centre half look very impressive (how many times do we sign players where fans of other clubs appear jealous?)

Aye we'd love a high quality winger but you can't just magic them up. Right now we're trying to establish ourself as a championship club. That can't be done overnight.

Yes some great recent signings which have covered somewhat for terrible decisions made during close season .why does this wide player have to be at the high quality level like the last few signings? Can we not sign someone who can do a job when required. How many other teams in our league don't have any wide players they can select? I'd say it's a basic gap which would make a difference if filled.

25 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Yes some great recent signings which have covered somewhat for terrible decisions made during close season .why does this wide player have to be at the high quality level like the last few signings? Can we not sign someone who can do a job when required. How many other teams in our league don't have any wide players they can select? I'd say it's a basic gap which would make a difference if filled.

We only have one "genuine" wide player in the squad, Anderson. The left wing has so far been covered by two centre forwards and a player promoted from the youth squad. All three, though, have adapted and played really well :)

27 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

If we just want someone who can do a job when required then we have Mcguffie. Imagine he would be inconsistent over a season but he has shown that he's capable at this level in flashes when given the chance. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If we just want someone who can do a job when required then we have Mcguffie. Imagine he would be inconsistent over a season but he has shown that he's capable at this level in flashes when given the chance. 

McGuffie has potential but I was actually meaning someone consistent and experienced say at the level of Boyle. Playing Cairney or Gilmour out wide does nobody any favours.

Head to head table with top 5.

PLAYED POINTS
Ross County   20 44
Dundee   20 29
Falkirk   20 28
Ayr   20 24
Hamilton   20 22
Livingston   20 16
I'll stick to my assertion that Reid playing not to lose against the lesser teams cost us that season.

The other 4's results in a similar table with the top 5

Partick   20 19
Morton   20 18
Raith   20 18
QOTS   20 10

Was that the season when we went on an insane run just after half way? Winning almost every game we played for a month or so?

Those wee runs are like gold but I don't think Reid had the analysis to work out why it was happening? Maybe I'm wrong and he just couldn't recreate it.

I'd love us to be a bit more consistent this season but I fear it will be the hot spells that give us any chance of survival.

Just now, AyrWeGo said:

Don't know if anyone noticed, however Ayrs 20s side won 6-0 tonight against QOS 20s. Hart, Rose, Donald, Wardrope and O'Connell all played.

Yeah I seen that on Twitter. Donald got two, Hilton got two, O'Connell got one and Rose got the other. Very promising result. 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yeah I seen that on Twitter. Donald got two, Hilton got two, O'Connell got one and Rose got the other. Very promising result. 

1 for Donald, first was an OG I think. Yeah O'Connell looks 1 million times better then what I seen pre season. All first team players looked sharp, especially Donald who was a constant threat. The number 8 Granger and number 6 Faulds looked good as well as Hilton who was an early sub after an injury to the other striker.

15 hours ago, rw89 said:

The difference that season was that we signed Damian Casalinuovo and Brian Graham hit form. Once that happened, we were absolutely rampant. Ayr were in no shape or form a top five side the last time they were in this league....but then everyone but one person knows that. 

Points Gained Won Drew Lost  
Dundee 1 0 1 3 Top 5
Livingston 1 0 1 3 Top 5
Ayr United 2 0 2 2 Top 5
Ross County 2 0 2 2  
QOTS 6 2 0 2  
Hamilton 7 2 1 1 Top 5
Falkirk 7 2 1 1 Top 5
Morton 8 2 2 0  
Partick 10 3 1 0  

You only finished 4 points off 5th. That's what you got to watch that season, your absolutely rampant run must've lasted for the last 3 games because we certainly weren't rampant at any time yet we matched you for the rest of the season after Casalinuovo signed. Looks to be a clear gap in results against your lot between the top 4 in that list and the bottom 5.

We pished a power of points up the wall against the bottom sides because the manager decided that we would defend for our lives rather than open up regardless of how bad the opposition was.

21 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

We pished a power of points up the wall against the bottom sides because the manager decided that we would defend for our lives rather than open up regardless of how bad the opposition was.

Uh-huh, so you've said. You haven't yet addressed the frequently made point though that of your whole squad, only Kevin Cuthbert went on from that day to now to achieve anything as good as a top five Championship finish. Yet, you think the collective sum was of that quality. Not a single Ayr fan has agreed with you, never mind everyone else. Your claims are laughable. Your side was relegated and, under different management, didn't even make it into the top half of the level down the following season with a reasonably similar squad shorn of Cuthbert

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh-huh, so you've said. You haven't yet addressed the frequently made point though that of your whole squad, only Kevin Cuthbert went on from that day to now to achieve anything as good as a top five Championship finish. Yet, you think the collective sum was of that quality. Not a single Ayr fan has agreed with you, never mind everyone else. Your claims are laughable. Your side was relegated and, under different management, didn't even make it into the top half of the level down the following season with a reasonably similar squad shorn of Cuthbert

I thought it was a team game and the Airdrie squad wasn't a true reflection on our squad that season, we had at least 3 other loan players playing regularly.

The following season saw us playing with virtually a new team under a different manager.

3 hours ago, ayrmad said:
  Points Gained Won Drew Lost  
Dundee 1 0 1 3 Top 5
Livingston 1 0 1 3 Top 5
Ayr United 2 0 2 2 Top 5
Ross County 2 0 2 2  
QOTS 6 2 0 2  
Hamilton 7 2 1 1 Top 5
Falkirk 7 2 1 1 Top 5
Morton 8 2 2 0  
Partick 10 3 1 0  

You only finished 4 points off 5th. That's what you got to watch that season, your absolutely rampant run must've lasted for the last 3 games because we certainly weren't rampant at any time yet we matched you for the rest of the season after Casalinuovo signed. Looks to be a clear gap in results against your lot between the top 4 in that list and the bottom 5.

:lol: I think going into the end of the season, Ross County were the only team on better form than ourselves. We lost 4 games (Dundee at home to two late goals, Livingston at home and away, and Queen of the South away. When we went into our big games, we came through them. Ayr on the other hand completely bottled it, much like the time before. 

Just remembered we actually had Jamie Walker in that team too. Still not top five for ourselves though. I'd not be that daft. 

Our team was drastically different the following year.

Archived