Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Radford said:

My guess would be that Habran is a fallback option if something else doesn't come off. It was a fortnight ago he arrived, if TW was dead set on him, something would have been sorted by now IMO.

I'd be inclined to agree with that. Wright is usually quite upfront when trialists aren't still under consideration - either in the courier or in interviews on Saints TV. He's keeping Habran hanging right now, so he must be in a queue.

20 hours ago, Radford said:

Don't know. He could have £500k left on his deal at Rangers but it doesn't look like we're prepared to offer a fee or you'd imagine we'd have tried that already and it would probably have leaked out. He's going to be taking a huge hit if he comes to Saints on a permanent deal so would be looking for a pay-off but how far would Rangers stretch? They've already paid out likely £700k on him.

For a loan, there are two ways of looking at it. The simple one is that he's sent to whatever club covers the most of his wages. The other is that Rangers and the player view it as a shop window and that scenario could work in Saints' favour given his success here before.

From what I've heard, Rangers don't want to loan O'Halloran to any Scottish club. St Johnstone have enquired along with two other clubs but have been sent packing.

Been told by someone Romain Habrain is staying at their place of work and he's told staff he thinks he'll be offered a deal.

Apparently also likes Perth, so I hope he's been drug tested.

Honestly, Id have been able to put a positive spin on this if he was being signed as the third choice forward, and if TW hadn't spent the week previous to this interest going on about only signing a "difference maker" and how he'd rather just play youngsters than buy squad players.

TWs made a rod for his own back.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly, Id have been able to put a positive spin on this if he was being signed as the third choice forward, and if TW hadn't spent the week previous to this interest going on about only signing a "difference maker" and how he'd rather just play youngsters than buy squad players.

TWs made a rod for his own back.

Correct. The chat about signing jewels has haunted this summer. Tanser and Sammon are jobbers and if we do sign Habran, he's an unknown quantity. 

2 hours ago, mizfit said:

Been told by someone Romain Habrain is staying at their place of work and he's told staff he thinks he'll be offered a deal.

Apparently also likes Perth, so I hope he's been drug tested.

Unknown but I think he probably has something about him that can be developed.

If its him and sammon then I'm probably OK with that. However for sammon I just read Sutton.

Clark

Foster.              Joe.        Anderson.        Easton

Davidson

Wotherspoon.            Scougall.               Habran

Sammon.           Macca 

Have to say I'll be a bit gutted if we net catch land Sammon.

His goalscoring record isn't that outstanding, Hearts and killie fans are keen to see the back of him, and whilst I haven't seen that much of him, what I have seen I thought he was just a big carthorse.

It also makes me fear for the way we're going to play this season.  Surely we're going to try to play a bit more football than last term.

When watching Habran play and seeing the reaction he got from the Saints fans, even after an average performance, it must be obvious to the chairman and manager that we're desperate for something a wee bit different, with a bit of flair.  

Have to say I'll be a bit gutted if we net catch land Sammon.
His goalscoring record isn't that outstanding, Hearts and killie fans are keen to see the back of him, and whilst I haven't seen that much of him, what I have seen I thought he was just a big carthorse.
It also makes me fear for the way we're going to play this season.  Surely we're going to try to play a bit more football than last term.
When watching Habran play and seeing the reaction he got from the Saints fans, even after an average performance, it must be obvious to the chairman and manager that we're desperate for something a wee bit different, with a bit of flair.  

I doubt it, if Sammon is a genuine target. I've felt we've played good football this pre-season, after the embarrassing home display of hoofball against Trakai. For all his flaws Habran seemed to encourage that further by linked with Scougall and dropping deep.

Sammon would just be another hard working grafter with absolutely no quality to add to the swathe of midfielders/forwards we already have like that. Scougall, Wotherspoon and MacLean are the only options we have who can actually claim to be creative to any degree, and even then Macca barely creates chances while Wotherspoon isn't close to being reliable. Another season of watching a midfield of Paton and Craig running aimlessly about and hoofs to a striker chasing balls into channels, but getting flagged offside every time, sounds awful.