Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Lol everything I read from you is bad news. Very amusing
Keep calm and trust Tommy

I'm just a naturally negative person :lol: so used to losing key players im almost conditioned to expect it.

If Shaughnessy stays, that'll be a huge statement from the club and player about where the club wants to be, and both will deserve huge plaudits from the support.

I think it's too simple to ask why contracts aren't extended sooner. You sign a player on a good deal and everyone knows Saints work to a budget; giving Shaughnessy a new contract last summer maybe stops you being able to afford Kennedy or Watt. 

In an ideal world I imagine we'd never find ourselves in this situation but we're trying to run a playing budget of, I expect, about £1.5 million off paying crowds of around 3,000 and a turnover of £5 million, with other staff costs and expenditure to take into account as well. 

Maybe worth remembering that JS himself has said he wants to stay and the manager has said all the players they've spoken to have indicated that desire but, tellingly, TW made comment that "agents sometimes have other ideas" on that score. 

I don't know what will happen but throwing in the towel after one jab in the first round is pretty defeatist. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

I think it's too simple to ask why contracts aren't extended sooner. You sign a player on a good deal and everyone knows Saints work to a budget; giving Shaughnessy a new contract last summer maybe stops you being able to afford Kennedy or Watt. 

In an ideal world I imagine we'd never find ourselves in this situation but we're trying to run a playing budget of, I expect, about £1.5 million off paying crowds of around 3,000 and a turnover of £5 million, with other staff costs and expenditure to take into account as well. 

Maybe worth remembering that JS himself has said he wants to stay and the manager has said all the players they've spoken to have indicated that desire but, tellingly, TW made comment that "agents sometimes have other ideas" on that score. 

I don't know what will happen but throwing in the towel after one jab in the first round is pretty defeatist. 

I think the club usually does pretty well on timescales for extending deals etc,so I wasn't making a generic point about contract renewals/ extensions, I was talking specifically about Shaughnessy.

The manager has rated him for sometime, he is an established centre back in this league and is still at a relatively young age. He would be one player many would expect to attract interest from other clubs as his contract winds down.

I wasn't being especially critical of Saints, just musing that possibly tying him up before the January window and inevitable interest of richer teams with poorer players begins, would have been ideal.  Maybe we did try but he wanted to hold off and check out his options?

It is inevitable that good players move on from Saints, but getting a fee for them makes it a bit more acceptable when we've been a big part in their development. It also goes a long way towards balancing the books when, as you say, we're trying to run a Premiership team on crowds of 3000.

Hopefully it all comes to nothing, and Joe wants to stay and be part of the exciting team we're building, and takes into account the fact that he's playing the best football of his career just now at Saints.

Are folk being defeatist?  Isn't it just being realistic to say that a club like Aberdeen are able to offer far more money than us, and so there is a possibility that Joe might be tempted away? None of us know what he will decide..

I think the fact that Joe was let go previously by McInnes and Aberdeen will play a big part in this. He’s club captain and integral, I’ve got no doubts he’ll sign a new contract. I suspect he maybe already has given the comments weeks ago and they’re just staggering the announcements.

16 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think the fact that Joe was let go previously by McInnes and Aberdeen will play a big part in this.

I hope so, although the counter argument will be he'll want to prove them wrong. But, on balance, I'd probably be more worried if it was Hearts or Hibs. 

Going back to the timing of extensions, my instinct is agents will tell clients like JS to hold off until the final six months as interest from elsewhere boosts their hand. 

If we can retain most players, it'll decrease the need for a big summer and hopefully let the club renew the likes of Kennedy earlier. 

12 minutes ago, The Marly said:
19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Right back to replace Logan, knowing McInnes and his complete inability to actually scout players, rather than just signing them because everyone says they've played well, before signing them.

McInnes made some tremendous signings for Saints.

Yup, there's a few players he's signed at Aberdeen that he's used incorrectly. Tansey, Stewart and May have all been used differently by him to how they were used to success elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, The Marly said:
31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Yup, there's a few players he's signed at Aberdeen that he's used incorrectly. Tansey, Stewart and May have all been used differently by him to how they were used to success elsewhere.

Couldn't give a flying f**k about Aberdeen tbh.

Why even bother responding to my post then? :lol:

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Oh my

Swapping Joe Shaughnessy for Stevie May IMO.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What times O'Halloran being announced tomorrow then?

ITK, IMO.