Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Didnt mean i would be, just i could fully see us changing to a 4-4-1-1 shape, scabbing a 1-0 win v Livi with a battling performance and you get a slew of articles/tweets from folk telling you we're close points wise to 7th than 11th and everyones just entitled.

Sorry I should’ve said, I think he’s gone before livi.

It’s over a year since I went to a game now and although I still check the result I really don’t miss going. Having been out west for 30 years and still keeping a season ticket until last year I’m a bit surprised at how easy it’s been. #thecallumeffect 

Whose decision is it? Steve Brown and Charlie Fraser are leaving in about 7 weeks when the board of the football club becomes what? Roddy Grant and Geoff Brown? A guy with no business background and an 80-year-old.

The only thing that can possibly be keeping him in a job now is the cup double. There is absolutely nothing else.

Stubborn and arrogant but also just a really bad football manager.

37 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

No way he will change to a back 4. That's the saddest thing - he will keep doing the same shit and hope he gets a different result.

Deluded and useless.

I'd be genuinely stunned if he doesn't play a back 4 v Livingston.

Hes starting to reek of a manager whos more desperate to keep fans onside and hope he can ride it out until the Summer than one who's actively trying to sort the mess hes created. Could be wrong but, for all the criticism he gets, Carey was such an obvious sub to come today yet he got parked on the bench while we watched others huff and puff v a set defence. Carey didn't come on because Davidson knew what the reaction would be, which isn't how it should be.

Playing a back 4 will, to him, win his some favour back.

2 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Ranted about it before and I'll rant about it again. Have I missed something or has Steve shrugged his shoulder, decided he's done with it and thrown it back to his Dad? While his Dad is well beyond retirement age? 

Fairy sure in an interview about putting the club up for sale, Geoff Brown confirmed that Steve Brown is cutting all ties with the club this Summer no matter what, just walking away from it all. Kind of sounded like he already had tbh and its just being made official, but thats just my speculaton. As it stands Geoff Brown officially takes over again until a new owner is found, as much as a retired guy in his 80s can.

I think in Callum Davidson’s eyes that was us being positive and going for it today. Echoes of the first half of Livi at home where we started on the front foot but then they scored or created chances pretty much at will whenever they attacked, up until us changing it at HT.

He doesn’t know how to go for a win at home, it’s so obvious. We end up with some hybrid whereby we’re not particularly threatening, but we’re not solid at the back either.  There is such a mental block about moving away from a back 5 it’s incredible.

We can barely even be shite and play out drab draws at home other than the 1-1 with st Mirren.

If we’re not going to see a change in the dugout, then I would bite your hand off now for 2 points from Livi away and Hibs at home in the next two matches. Just shitfest it to f**k, anything to break this downward spiral before the split.

Get to the summer still a Premiership side and then get a fresh pair of hands in to sort this mess out.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes got over 2 years left on his contract and we literally have nobody running the club.

Hes not getting sacked.

I agree it’s very unlikely.

But don’t underestimate Geoff Brown’s ability to make tough decisions.  

If he thinks Callum’s time is done and there’s no way he can turn the playing side around, he would get rid. Two years left on the contract or not.

I think it would be the summer though, in the hope we can scramble enough points to survive from now til then.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes got over 2 years left on his contract and we literally have nobody running the club.

Hes not getting sacked.

Hope you're wrong but suspect you're right. 

I will say that Geoff has surprised us before. Nobody expected Totten to get the sack. 

That was a long time ago though.

You have to think that's it a lot easier to sell a club that's in the top league and it looks more and more unlikely under Davidson.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I agree it’s very unlikely.

But don’t underestimate Geoff Brown’s ability to make tough decisions.  

If he thinks Callum’s time is done and there’s no way he can turn the playing side around, he would get rid. Two years left on the contract or not.

I think it would be the summer though, in the hope we can scramble enough points to survive from now til then.

Just now, The Saintee said:

Hope you're wrong but suspect you're right. 

I will say that Geoff has surprised us before. Nobody expected Totten to get the sack. 

That was a long time ago though.

You have to think that's it a lot easier to sell a club that's in the top league and it looks more and more unlikely under Davidson.

Theres much chance Geoff Brown does it than Steve Brown, but I dunno, I feel like his actual input into anything at the club is going to be minimal. 

Not too worry though, Callum Davidsons told everyone we're in a relegation battle so they've to "roll their sleeves up", and explained that we lost because we conceded two goals and didn't score any.

So at least hes helped clear all that up.

Geoff Brown put together a progressive board when he took control of the club in 1986 and that remained the case throughout the early McDiarmid years.

When the club were relegated in his absence in 2002, those that delayed dispensing with Sandy Clark were quickly moved on a new generation brought in.

Contrast to what we have now. Those holding out hope of Geoff Brown bringing the same sort of vigour to the role of chairman are going to be left disappointed. He's an old man who has been thrown a ball he doesn't want by his son.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not too worry though, Callum Davidsons told everyone we're in a relegation battle so they've to "roll their sleeves up", and explained that we lost because we conceded two goals and didn't score any.

So at least hes helped clear all that up.

Jesus.

Hope you are right about the change in formation but it's a tiny step in the right direction and I just can't see him ever completing the journey.

Lot of fans just want him gone and soon.

He's done literally nothing since LASK put us out for me to believe he's ever going to do anything other than destroy us.

Thanks for the double. That's all I've got.

19 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Hope you are right about the change in formation but it's a tiny step in the right direction

Thing is it wouldn't be.

He'd either revert straight back to the formation he doesn't prefer and bludgeon that shape to death, or he'd bludgeon the new shape he'd found to death instead.

Either way we end up in a situation where hes just expecting the same shape to work every single week rather than mixing it up depending on who we play.

The shape is a bit of a red herring in terms of the issues, but is a great example of the main problem. We have a manager who cannot identify the best way to make the most of what he has, or the best way to exploit opponents, and thinks the same thing can work every week. Folk like that are just a death sentence at this level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

27 minutes ago, Radford said:

When the club were relegated in his absence in 2002, those that delayed dispensing with Sandy Clark were quickly moved on a new generation brought in.

Very worrying that this season seems to be following a similar pattern to 2000/01. Decent first half of the season followed by a horrendous second half. With teams (Dundee Utd and St Mirren) being detached from the rest ending up saving us from trouble at the end although no play off then.

The summer transfers were terrible going into 01/02 which led to a very early relegation. Have no faith in CD going into the summer transfer market 

1 minute ago, derektaylor84 said:

The summer transfers were terrible going into 01/02 which led to a very early relegation. Have no faith in CD going into the summer transfer market.

Especially since we have seen the fascination Davidson has with experience.

Falconer, Jackson, Kemble...