Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Can you imagine the absolute heads gone moments on Saturday if macca lines up 5-2-3 with Brown at left centre back. 

I almost hope he does as it’d be funny as f**k. In all likelihood my head would be one of those to go but you’d have to salute their commitment to the bit. 

I’m def in the Tommy until the end of the season camp but it just occurred to me that with the amount of churn in the squad there’s only six players who would have been here when he was last time. I was thinking May, Spoony, Gordon, Muzz, Kane and Booth? Three of them won’t play again before end of season.

Edited by gingermunkie
To add Gordon

8 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

I’m def in the Tommy until the end of the season camp but it just occurred to me that with the amount of churn in the squad there’s only roughly five players who would have been here when he was last time. I was thinking May, Spoony, Muzz, Kane and Booth? Three of them won’t play again before end of season.

Gordon and Wright too?

MacLean confirmed as being in charge for Saturday, has drained my excitement a bit as i struggle to see how things can be any different tbh, but guess we'll see.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gordon and Wright too?

Ah I must’ve edited it while you replied. Had still forgotten about Wright though. 🤦🏼‍♂️

but yeah there’s only four players (who will play) that would actually know him. So I wonder if we would be as well just going straight to someone totally new. 

9 minutes ago, gingermunkie said:

Ah I must’ve edited it while you replied. Had still forgotten about Wright though. 🤦🏼‍♂️

but yeah there’s only four players (who will play) that would actually know him. So I wonder if we would be as well just going straight to someone totally new. 

Guess would depend who they could get in now, as ideally its not TW long term.

Guess a win on Saturday buys them time too, so maybe worth holding off until that.

Darrell Clarke an interesting shout? Seen it mentioned on Twitter and he seems to have a decent record of rebuilding squads well. Just been sacked by Port Vale for a poor run but most fans seem annoyed judging by the comments.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

MacLean confirmed as being in charge for Saturday, has drained my excitement a bit as i struggle to see how things can be any different tbh, but guess we'll see.

Got the impression they’re planning to use the 2 weeks after Hibs to focus on a new manager. 

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Got the impression they’re planning to use the 2 weeks after Hibs to focus on a new manager. 

Aye makes sense, forgot there was a break before the split games too tbh.

We have some but not a lot of margin for error so Saturday will tell us a lot about MacLean. There has to be a bounce, a freshness and something different or he's toast.

Football never stops surprising you or making you reassess preconceived ideas but replacing a failed manager with his assistant is never something I'd be on board with. The last 12-18 months don't sit simply on the shoulders of one man.

You’ve just got to look at Spurs for an example of why this likely won’t work. Sure the person in charge had gone, but his assistant is still playing the same formation with the same results. 

23 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

He'll rouse them with a 2014 semi finale-esque team talk and we will pump them 😎

Tbf the only game we came from behind to win last season (2-1 v Motherwell) was the game when MacLean was in charge and Davidson was at home ill.

MacLean maybe deserves the slimmest of chances, on the off chance he was trying to change the managers approach for ages and was just headbutting a brick wall, but i dont think he deserves our league status entrusted to him.

A few folk wanting Tommy back short-term. But not sure why he'd agree to that. Wouldn't his pride - and his record - expect a permanent post? And that would give me a few concerns:

• Tommy had had enough of the club in 2020. What's changed so much internally that he can come back and suffer none of the frictions that irritated him before? 
  • That aside, Tommy left – I think – because he recognised he was struggling to maintain Saints' status and his own reputation. Year over year you can trace a decline in Saints' quality and achievements from 2013-2020. What evidence is there that Tommy can rebuild from a lower base? He tended to re-sign the same players (until that stopped working) and in all his years I can't think of a decent striker that he signed (Calum Hendry the only partial success).
  • At its worst, his football was no less eye-bleeding than latter-day Calum Davidson.

Even if he did get him back short-term, I don't follow the assumption that he'd turn things around. Kilmarnock made the mistake of thinking the same thing.

For what it's worth, I don't think MacLean wants to be a manager based on people I've spoken to that know him, at least not yet. Then again it's one of those, that until you actually try it you'll never know if you want the job properly. Just need to look at Stevie Hammill at Motherwell, clearly a great guy to have around and be at the club. but lacks that managerial instinct and likely wont ever manage again.