Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

As @perthsaint1977 said yesterday, that group looks no bigger than about 18 and it's not all senior players, in fact it's far from it.

Can at least spot McGowan and, I think, Crawford, who have been absent from training photos but no Brown, Phillips, Bair, Clark or Kane? Is Bair even back?

Wouldn't need many toes once you ran out of counting senior players on your fingers.

Phillips is injured isn't he? 

Clark/Kane might be getting eased in with gym work etc., before a full pre-season, or getting extra rest. Genuinely not a clue how you approach pre-season with long term injured players.

Brown/Bair who knows.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Phillips is injured isn't he? 

Clark/Kane might be getting eased in with gym work etc., before a full pre-season, or getting extra rest. Genuinely not a clue how you approach pre-season with long term injured players.

Brown/Bair who knows.

Brown was away with Malta so might just be in doing basics just now? 

12 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Bair has left Scotland 

Nice laddie, shame it didn’t work out. 
who knows, he might go somewhere and make it and we’ll all sit here moaning about letting him go. Or not. 

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Pretty sure he also wasn’t even in the squads so suggests he’s probably injured or needing a rest. 

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Aye that would make sense tbf.

2 weeks until our first competitive game and a handful of senior players arent training and we've not made any signings.

Hallberg has had long enough, we shouldn't be waiting around to see if he is going to sign or not.  I quite like him when he is played in the right position but he is far from indispensable.  Move on and shape the squad without him.  

Clark having a setback, and with understandable doubts about Kane's continued recovery, means we look light up front again.  Clark, Kane & May all up to speed seems fine as the options but ideally we need somebody else I think.  Unfortunately there are a number of other priority areas needing addressed, Hallberg's position is not one of those if we are serious about continuing to play Ballantyne and to give Wee Max a chance.  Does Ferguson not also play in that area?  Plenty of options, albeit untested at the top level.  

I think we're in a situation where we've no choice but to put trust in the youngsters. 

Even Liam Parker and Taylor Steven might end up getting game time as it stands.

Decision to wait so long to change manager has undoubtedly fucked any planning for this season so MacLean will be chasing his tail trying to catch up with most other clubs. Add in having to try and balance the books a bit better while having high earning dross, and bring the average age down, while building something to build from, and its as tough a job as any Saints manager has walked into for decades. 

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's as tough a job as any Saints manager has walked into for decades. 

I think most realistic Saints fans see this, no doubt the banter page types will be calling for his head five games into the new season if it's not going well. Macca wasn't my first choice but you have to look at what he's doing, the way he wants to play, his interviews etc and they're light years ahead of what was before him. I have no doubt he or someone very close to him is reading fans forums because he mirrors what's being said on them and addresses all the concerns raised in an uncanny, almost telepathic way. Long may that continue.

Oh aye and sign some under 30 quality Macca, preferably with a resale value, cheers.

If we’re well off the top of the league by Christmas having failed to win the League Cup then he has to go imo. We’re a city club and should be aiming much higher than staying up with a view to maybe getting top six.